Screen doesn't turn on during a call

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So if I start or receive a call and hold the phone on my ear the screen turns off. That's normal. But when I take the phone off my ear (to end the call, for example) the screen doesn't turn on again.

I try pressing the power button but it doesn't always turn on. Sometimes I have to press the power button twice, sometimes no matter how many times I press the power button the screen stays black, unless the other party ends the call.

Is this a known issue with this phone? Anyone having similar problems?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a screen protector? Perhaps the proximity sensor is blocked and does not recognize that you are not holding the device near your ear.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Laura for the reply. I thought so as well, but I didn't install any screen protector, and out of the box the phone doesn't seem to have any screen protector (unless there is one strongly attached and my finger nail can't find it and peel it).

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Display & Touch updated, didn't resolve the issue. I need to press the power button twice to unlock the screen during a call.
I can live with this issue. Actually it may be a plus, since it guarantees not to accidently unlock the screen and end the call or dial something else (like what used to happen with my Lumia 710).
I Just wanted to know if it's just my phone or everyone else.

aeroomkar

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Faced same issue couple of times...moving the thumb over proximity sensor does the trick for me..

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, but it was dust covering the proximity sensor. It was fooling the sensor to think that my face was still close to the screen. I used some compressed air around the top of my screen as well as the ear piece. Eventually, I'll have to take it apart and thoroughly clean it out. There are a few theads about the dust problem in the 920s.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Today I was reading another thread about the Lumia 920 which had a similar problem. The solution in that thread was to blow hard into the speaker gap at the top of the phone. Although I didn't believe much in that I went ahead and blew there, and to my surprise the phone screen started unlocking automatically during calls when I take the phone away from my ear!!

Turned out to be some dust blocking the proximity sensor.

They should make these phones dust proof !

--------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: This fix worked only once. The problem happened again, and blowing into the speaker gap doesn't seem to fix it anymore. It may even make it worse.

Last edited:

Shubhankar Yarnal

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
M experiencing the same prob...i feel its due to lagging of info sent via proximity sensor and ambient light sensor to the processor...coz i experience the prob when i m outdoors...when i m indoors my sensors and touch work properly....same is the case wid double tap to wake which lags when operated outdoors....

cmjr

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Had same problem removed screen protector and cleaned screen all over with lens tissue seems to have solved problem

Govardhan Potturi

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Had similar issue and resolved few minutes back by remove screen protector and clean up over proximity sensor. make sure sensor surface should be clean always. absolutely it works..........

Bhaskar V

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem while calling and receiving the calls. once call completed other side person cut call then it will be normal.

I have approach to Nokia care center they changed the sensor but it not solved the issue .they told tocuh screen problem and handling problem

please let me know is it so ??

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Make sure the proximity sensor is not covered via a screen protector. Also you might want to clean the LCD glass cover on the inside with an air gun, I had to do that on one of my Lumia 810 devices.

Gautam2309

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Even i am having the same problem Mr. GoodSmith...
can you plz help ?
its very difficult to disconnect the call whenever i needed because its screen light not turning on that time... I have to press the power button 2-3 time then its on .

Irwin Jones

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem on Nokia520 of screen going black, in particular after dialling a number which would reply and ask for a number input, e.g. when checking voicemail or getting through to a number which asked me to select an option or extension number. I found that this was caused by the free plastic screen case supplied with the handset. This closes via a strong magnet in the tab that closes over the case. I prevented this tab from getting close to the glass screen by holding it back with my thumb before making a call (so that it did not touch the screen). Result - no more black screen and no problems retrieving voicemail and no need to send back to Nokia.

shamzynk

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
What can one do about this hanging up of calls easily? This turning off while calling and not being able to hang up easily is frustrating. Pls help before it's too late.

Sanket Raut

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
some times there are dust on the top of ambient light sensor, thats why sensor cant work properly. Clean sensor area, sensor will works fine.
good luck

Nickkky

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: when i lock my lumia 620 it wil not show up on screen again

Please I have an issue with my Lumia 620 when I lock it it will not show up again till I remove battery and I can feel the vibration on below keys to show that it is on.It started after Lumia black update and I have tried to hard reset it but situation not change
Help me please

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans