Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Has anyone bought the 520 at amazon?

is it just the 99.99

or do you have to pay the gophone subscription?

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikaelSmoot View Post
    Has anyone bought the 520 at amazon?

is it just the 99.99

or do you have to pay the gophone subscription?
    It is an off contract phone so you are just buying the phone. You can use it as a media player if you don't want service.
    Thanked by:

I'm assuming that you're talking about the at&t GoPhone Lumia 520. If you buy it in a physical store, you don't have to get service. I believe this is the case in Amazon too. If you buy it at att.com you have to pay for atleast a month of service.
  4. tgp

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    I bought one from Amazon. At the time it was $90.02. I didn't have to buy any Go Phone service. I use my Net 10 AT&T SIM card in it.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juan6996 View Post
    I'm assuming that you're talking about the at&t GoPhone Lumia 520. If you buy it in a physical store, you don't have to get service. I believe this is the case in Amazon too. If you buy it at att.com you have to pay for atleast a month of service.
    I bought mine @ the ATT store, but told the associate that I didn't want a plan. She was fine with it. However, some other users have reported that they had to purchase a plan.

I got mine from Microsoft store without the plan free shipping got it within the week or if i remember right 17$ for overnight shipping $10 for 2nd day shipping

My $99 Lumia 520 arrived from Amazon yesterday.

I fired it up, started downloading apps and am learning how to use Windows Phone, and plan to try an H2O wireless sim in it soon.

First impression is that this is a fantastic little device for $99, and if I can use it as a prepaid phone too, all the better.

Cheers,

Paul
    juan6996 likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    This is a great phone for the price. Compared to the other Android 2.x prepaid phones, this is the "cutting-edge." It will work on any prepaid service operating on AT&T or T-Mobile. Use the reference guide to find a provider All Prepaid Wireless Cell Phone Plans and Providers | AllPrepaidPlans.com

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I don't believe it will work on T-Mobile MVNO's, unless the phone is unlocked first.
  10. tgp

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I don't believe it will work on T-Mobile MVNO's, unless the phone is unlocked first.
    That is correct. It will work with an AT&T MVNO out of the box, but not T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

I am planning to convert my wife to a WP user. Bit before I get her a 1020, I want her to experience WP. So I bought a 520 yesterday from Amazon. She is a post paid ATT customer. Question is will her post paid sim card work in the 520 without converting to a prepaid account?Thanks

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Yes, the phone will work fine with her postpaid AT&T card. From my understanding, the SIM cards are exactly the same between post and prepaid (GoPhone). Beyond that, apparently SIMs for AT&T MVNO's (such as Straight Talk) work in the phone without the phone needing to be unlocked.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yes, the phone will work fine with her postpaid AT&T card. From my understanding, the SIM cards are exactly the same between post and prepaid (GoPhone). Beyond that, apparently SIMs for AT&T MVNO's (such as Straight Talk) work in the phone without the phone needing to be unlocked.
    Will it work with an active Net10 micro sim (at&t provisioned) that I use in my Nexus 4 out of the box?

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    That is what others on these forums have reported -- that it is only locked to the AT&T network but will work without being unlocked on AT&T MVNO's. I have heard at least one complaint, however, that you cannot modify the APN, and that has stopped that user from getting MMS texts. Hopefully someone with a 520 using a MVNO will be able to comment further on this.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Would there be any difference between the $99 version sold on Amazon, Microsoft Store, or an AT&T brick and mortar store?
  16. tgp

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    That is what others on these forums have reported -- that it is only locked to the AT&T network but will work without being unlocked on AT&T MVNO's. I have heard at least one complaint, however, that you cannot modify the APN, and that has stopped that user from getting MMS texts. Hopefully someone with a 520 using a MVNO will be able to comment further on this.
    You can't modify existing APNs, but you can create & activate a new one. I use my AT&T 520 with a Net10 AT&T SIM card, and everything works, including HSPA & MMS.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    There is no difference between the versions sold on Amazon, in the Microsoft Store, or an AT&T store. At most there might be a difference in packaging, but the phone and contents of the package will be the same.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    2,806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Would there be any difference between the $99 version sold on Amazon, Microsoft Store, or an AT&T brick and mortar store?
    No.

I purchased a specific go phone model at Walmart, and it works with my contract 4G LTE sim card in case anyone was wondering
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    You can't modify existing APNs, but you can create & activate a new one. I use my AT&T 520 with a Net10 AT&T SIM card, and everything works, including HSPA & MMS.
    Is your Net10 sim swappable between your Nexus 4 and your 520?

I was considering Net10's $50 plan with Unlimited talk, text and web, but it isn't clear ti me if the web part if it us indeed "unlimited". Could you explain how it works?

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPhoney View Post
    I was considering Net10's $50 plan with Unlimited talk, text and web, but it isn't clear ti me if the web part if it us indeed "unlimited". Could you explain how it works?
    I have that plan on my Nexus 4 wth a Net10 AT&T sim card. Its unlimited talk, text, and 1.5 GB of high speed data, which I think is on AT&T's hspa+21 network. The data allotment is a hard cap, so data stops completely at the 1.5 GB threshold. If you auto enroll to have your account refilled automatically you get a $5 discount so it comes out to $45 a month.

I'm not sure why they state "unlimited" but they qualify it with an asterisk and list the terms here that state Net10 sim cards that operate on AT&T's network are limited to 1.5 GB of data. NET10 phoneNationwide Prepaid Wireless - Terms And Conditions. I think Net10 sim cards that operate on T-mobile towers might be "unlimited" in terms of you get throttled to 2G at some point rather than cut off.

EDIT: Since I made this post I came across several announcements that Net10's 1.5GB data cap has been lifted like this one: http://www.phonenews.com/net10-remov...limited-23238/ I don't know whether or not this is true because the TOS link above still shows the cap but news article claims they've received confirmation from Net10 and that the TOS will be updated.
    Last edited by jdbii; 08-22-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: The 1.5 GB may have been lifted according to some reports.
  22. tgp

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    Is your Net10 sim swappable between your Nexus 4 and your 520?
    Yes, and once you get the APNs set up on both devices you don't have to do anything else. Simply swap the SIM card. I swap mine between 5 devices: Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Lumia 520, Lumia 521, and Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
    jdbii likes this.

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yes, and once you get the APNs set up on both devices you don't have to do anything else. Simply swap the SIM card. I swap mine between 5 devices: Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Lumia 520, Lumia 521, and Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Lumia 521? That's T-Mobile isn't it, and you use a Net10 at&t sim with it? How does that work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  24. tgp

Global Posts
    2,843 Global Posts
    Lumia 521? That's T-Mobile isn't it, and you use a Net10 at&t sim with it? How does that work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    T-Mobile gave me the unlock code.

Sent from my Nexus 4

How long takes to AT&T give the Unlock Code after the buying?
    Because I bought the Lumia520 in the PayGo thing, and I cant use AT&T.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast