Should I still buy a Nokia 520?

brenz566

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been an android user for the last 5 years, but have recently started looking into getting a windows phone. Checked out a few devices and decided the 520 would meet my needs perfectly. But when Microsoft bought up Nokia, it put my plans on hold. My fear is that over time there will be a lack of support and updates for the Nokia phones. Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I just overthinking things?

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sould I still buy a Nokia 520?

I do not see where there would be lack of support. Microsoft would not buy out the phone portion of Nokia's business if it had no desire to support it.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I've been an android user for the last 5 years, but have recently started looking into getting a windows phone. Checked out a few devices and decided the 520 would meet my needs perfectly. But when Microsoft bought up Nokia, it put my plans on hold. My fear is that over time there will be a lack of support and updates for the Nokia phones. Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I just overthinking things?

It's only $100 or less. The worst case scenario that MS completely stops support (unlikely), you're only out a small amount. You can always sell it later. There will likely be support for at least another year.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

Android at this price never get support. Better than get something rather than nothing

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

So far im happy with my phone. No you should not be worried.. Microsoft is more concerned about making money so they wont ditch us.. Don't worry you are safe here.

In other suggestions id say if you can afford, go for a 1GB Lumia to be future proof. I have a lot of memory problems while browsing so that'd be a suggestion. But for this budget this phone ftw...

I was an android user for 3 years myself..

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site

So far im happy with my phone. No you should not be worried.. Microsoft is more concerned about making money so they wont ditch us.. Don't worry you are safe here.

In other suggestions id say if you can afford, go for a 1GB Lumia to be future proof. I have a lot of memory problems while browsing so that'd be a suggestion. But for this budget this phone ftw...

I was an android user for 3 years myself..

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
What kind of memory problems do you face while browsing ?

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

What kind of memory problems do you face while browsing ?

Mostly the tabs reloading automatically. Its really pissy when you have opened up a page with lots of text and you have to scroll all the way to bottom. I thought it was a bug in my phone but then i "binged" out and found that a lot of other peeps with 512 MB phones are having same issue. It seems like windows closes the tabs or just makes cache and removes the page... When You open it, it reloads it like a new page.

Apart from that a lot of crashes sometimes. It does not necessarily means you'll have them too. I tend to push my phone so. :mad:

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

No fears to be had. As others have said, MS didn't spend 7 billion to kill WP. You will be fine getting it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Brenz5666 if you're an app person or someone who is concerned with app updates, is suggest you to stick with android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Mostly the tabs reloading automatically. Its really pissy when you have opened up a page with lots of text and you have to scroll all the way to bottom. I thought it was a bug in my phone but then i "binged" out and found that a lot of other peeps with 512 MB phones are having same issue. It seems like windows closes the tabs or just makes cache and removes the page... When You open it, it reloads it like a new page.

Apart from that a lot of crashes sometimes. It does not necessarily means you'll have them too. I tend to push my phone so. :mad:

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.

I was wondering about this. Never had that situation happen with me on my 822 when I was web browsing. Now I know why. Also, to add, I've been having a lot of dropped calls and reception problems with this phone in areas I normally don't have problems in. Not sure what that's about

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

The 520 is amazing and to fix tabs reloading issue you can have a new browser (UC,Nokia express) other than that no problems at all the mobile is awesome

tsk1979

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

You have to realize that user experience from a windows phone is very different.
For example
1. There is no true multitasking. So if you were doing a 500MB map download, if you went want to use another app, the download will pause
2. There is no concept of "files". Lets say you went to a link and downloaded a file called a548395.pdf. Its a book. If you open with adobe reader, it will be "cached" on your phone. However, if you install a different pdf reader and delete adobe reader, you have to re-download. Also remember, you cannot rename files
3. you cannot attach just any files. Only MS office and images and videos can be attached. For all kinds of files you have to first upload to skydrive and send link to people

The phone is fast and responsive, but also know limitations of the operating system. If these are too much for you, then the phone is not for you.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't be overly concerned. The purchase of Nokia isn't going to be completed until sometime next year, so if (and it's a big if) there are any changes, they won't happen for a long time.

The 520 is a great phone (I've got one myself), but I don't think Microsoft buying Nokia will make any changes to the phone support.

Dperks17

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I bought mine a few weeks ago and for 100$ i'm blown away by how great it is. Compared to my Note 2 it's really small lol

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I bought one when Amazon has them at $90. It's not a top of the line phone obviously, but at that price it's great value!

Sent from my Nexus 4

brenz566

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Well, I think you've convinced me! As soon as I can confirm that AT&T has good coverage in the Marietta,OH are I think I'll pick one up.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well, I think you've convinced me! As soon as I can confirm that AT&T has good coverage in the Marietta,OH are I think I'll pick one up.

if that doesn't work out, you could consider the T-Mobile 521 variant. It's not much different sans a white back cover, T-Mo branding, and being slightly taller. (for some reason)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786