my Win 7 PC doesn't detect lumia 520

Alam Laskar

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
yesterday i connected my newly bought lumia 520 to my win7 laptop n downloaded the windows phone app for pc..now the problem is that whenever i connect the phone with the data cable i got along with the phone, the laptop does not detect the phone anymore..though the phone is visible in the view devices and printers i can't acess the phone.I tried evry possible solution online and i'm getting really frustrated with this issue..please help...!:crying:

Last edited:

bullsharkTM

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I just had this issue with a Lumia 920 on windows 8, fellow forum dweller helped me out and I will pass the knowledge onto you! Simply plug in your windows phone to your PC, and reboot the phone, as it boots, it will be detected and there! (also make sure your phone is not at the lockscreen and at the start screen instead :)
Wow, I've been searching the net for drivers and articles and stuff and I bump into this and WOW. My Lumia is now being read on my Win7 PC. Thanks! Helpful! :)

manoj 420

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 525 phone, I had the same problem.

But when I rebooted the phone (which was connected to my PC via USB), the PC started installing the drivers.

But NOKIA bootmgr was not installed , again could not transfer files etc.

Then I tried

Device Manager-> USB Controllers -> Double Click on Nokia Lumia (the names starts with this) -> Go to driver tab -> update driver -> search AUTOMATICALLY

[ NO need to find manual drivers fortunately ]

Hope this helps

[ Guess this works for all the lumia phones not getting detected in PC ]

SierraFoothills

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I fought this for three weeks. My Nokia Lumia 520 connected USB to my Windows 7 Ultimate computer as "Other Devices" in device manager and couldn't be seen in Explorer. Attempts to update the driver always ended in failure. The answer for me was to update the driver, "Browse my computer for driver software" and choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Choose "Portable Devices" "(Standard MTP Device) and model "MTP USB Device" and Next. Now the phone shows up in Portable Devices in Device Manager where it belongs and the driver loads and I see the Windows Phone in Explorer:smile:

Abhishek Tyagi5

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The same problem with me. since i upgraded my lumia 525 to windows 8.1. I am not able to transfer any file through my Pc which has authentic Win 7.
Neither through bluetooth nor through USB cable that came along with Phone. Although I could see my phone under Portable devices but its shows ) items in the phone.

I did the rebbot of the phone while connected to PC . Also done a hard reset of the phone.
does anyone has any other solution ?? really frustated with lumia

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
My lumia 630 too wont sync with my windows7 and our office windows 8. Any advice from the expert? Thanks

Did you already try what was suggested in above post?
And if all above fails you probably have a "defect" usb and should sent your phone for repair/replacement.

C Phone user

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Here's an idea (I have a 521, but they're so close the process should be the same):
  • Unplug your phone.
  • Go to the Start menu, then Devices and Printers.
  • At the top/somewhere on the screen, there may be an icon called "Windows Phone" or something like that. On my PC it looks like my phone.
  • Right-click on that and hit Remove Device.
  • Wait for that process to end, then try plugging the phone in again. Mine then installed drivers (click on the bubble and wait for that to end, may take a few minutes)
  • You should be able to open the phone in either Windows Explorer (under Computer) or Windows Phone app for desktop.

My computer would recognize that there was a device, and in fact tell me that there was a Windows Phone 521 plugged in, but it wouldn't fully recognize it or connect to any of the apps or programs (so for all intents and purposes, it was not plugged in.)
This has worked twice for me when nothing else would. Worth a shot! Hope it helps! :amaze:

Jack Hoover

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
The reason why smart people like me wont take windows updates is because 95% of the time it mess up everything. After Win 3.11 there is no occasion whatsoever that windows update wouldn't mess up something.

When it comes to smartphones, situation has been total mess for more than a decade.
The only one which worked was iMate with CE mobile windows (same as O2). Everything worked well, it was syncing with MS office seamlessly, never failed. After that, phone network was updated and this came obsolite. DAMN! There went the only one which worked! Since then I played with Lemon iPhones and virtually have tried every phone there is. iPhone blow my fuse when I couldn't transfer pictures from camera to PC anymore (they deliberately made this impossible in order to sell their cloud services) and then I went back to Nokia. Unfortunately with MS OS, which is not compatible with other MS products. This has been MS problem before, their own products are not working together as well as 3rd party ones or free ones.

I hope someone (Jolla?) would make just ONE MOBILE PHONE WHICH WOULD WORK! I don't give a damn how many megapixels it has or any other toys you don't need, just strip all crap off it, focus on work use and make sure those functions work! I will buy it straight away or few of them just in case it will be ruin or pulled out from markets.

LEFTKOYL

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This is working.
thank you!

I fought this for three weeks. My Nokia Lumia 520 connected USB to my Windows 7 Ultimate computer as "Other Devices" in device manager and couldn't be seen in Explorer. Attempts to update the driver always ended in failure. The answer for me was to update the driver, "Browse my computer for driver software" and choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Choose "Portable Devices" "(Standard MTP Device) and model "MTP USB Device" and Next. Now the phone shows up in Portable Devices in Device Manager where it belongs and the driver loads and I see the Windows Phone in Explorer:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99