GDR3 + Lumia 520 ?

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm rather new to windows phone 8 as I've only had my Lumia 520 since Oct 1st and needless to say I absolutely love it. I've tried going back to playing around with my old android and I can't even bring myself to do it. I had no idea I would love this platform so much. About a week after I had the 520 I got the gdr2 + Amber notification and it only made things well alot better.

My question is will the meager Lumia 520 get gdr3 + bittersweet shimmer sans the stuff this phone doesn't need ?

On a tangent I wonder who in the office chose the name bittersweet shimmer because in my opinion it sounds like a school girl thought it up.

And I've looked it up bit simply do not remember, will gdr3 fix text selection ? Because while not a deal breaker it is kinda annoying.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates

oh well that makes more sense, still an odd choice in my books

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1

I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720

I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!

I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol

What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?

I installed gdr3 via dev preview and multitasking is where I want it to be now its quicker and I can close apps from multi tasking screen.

As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I

As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between

have you try tap and hold the screen for few seconds? By doing this you can see the pointer to correct any typo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3