Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Hey I'm rather new to windows phone 8 as I've only had my Lumia 520 since Oct 1st and needless to say I absolutely love it. I've tried going back to playing around with my old android and I can't even bring myself to do it. I had no idea I would love this platform so much. About a week after I had the 520 I got the gdr2 + Amber notification and it only made things well alot better.

My question is will the meager Lumia 520 get gdr3 + bittersweet shimmer sans the stuff this phone doesn't need ?

On a tangent I wonder who in the office chose the name bittersweet shimmer because in my opinion it sounds like a school girl thought it up.

And I've looked it up bit simply do not remember, will gdr3 fix text selection ? Because while not a deal breaker it is kinda annoying.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Yes it will, as long as the carriers don't stand in the way.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Yes it will, as long as the carriers don't stand in the way.
    Awesome ,in my experience koodo is pretty good with updates gdr2 came pretty quick after all.

Do you tthink 520 will get wp8.1 ?

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Yup!

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Yup!
    I have to ask is that just wishful thinking or is there solid fact backing that up because I was a crack berry addict until I got burned by the promised but never delivered playbook debacle

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1
    Thanked by:
    Barracuda7772 likes this.

Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates
    Barracuda7772 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates
    oh well that makes more sense, still an odd choice in my books

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1
    I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda7772 View Post
    I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720
    I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!
    I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol
    What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?
    I installed gdr3 via dev preview and multitasking is where I want it to be now its quicker and I can close apps from multi tasking screen.

As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between

Does L520 has nokia camera???

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nithin r View Post
    Does L520 has nokia camera???
    the Nokia camera will be provided via bittersweet shimmer. Now its up in the air if it will be available on the L520 they might of made optimizations who knows we will fond out when it comes
    Thanked by:

I

As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between
    have you try tap and hold the screen for few seconds? By doing this you can see the pointer to correct any typo.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oris View Post
    have you try tap and hold the screen for few seconds? By doing this you can see the pointer to correct any typo.
    Thank you ! I knew there had to be a way. Now my next question is to wonder if my Lumia 520 on gdr3 will get 8.1 Blue

Hello mate,
    GDR3 is available to lumia 520.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Sarnaik View Post
    Hello mate,
    Thank You.
    how did u update to gdr3???

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Sarnaik View Post
    Hello mate,
    Thank You.
    What do you mean by GDR3. Is it that 3G. i would be appreciate that if anyone could elaborate on it.

He meant GDR 3 Sans Bitter sweet shimmer which is available for quite a while now not many improvements but i noticed following
    1. we send group messages in messaging app
    2. better battery back up
    3. Auto rotation lock
    4. advanced settings under bluetooth
    5.Detailed storage info

Thank you for your information.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    What is Nokia bringing to gdr3

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    What is Nokia bringing to gdr3
    Most likely some fices and improvements, perhaps Glance Background and Notifications will be the most obvious.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    How to Update GDR3 in lumia 520... I am from India and I am not finding any new software update available...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast