Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey I'm rather new to windows phone 8 as I've only had my Lumia 520 since Oct 1st and needless to say I absolutely love it. I've tried going back to playing around with my old android and I can't even bring myself to do it. I had no idea I would love this platform so much. About a week after I had the 520 I got the gdr2 + Amber notification and it only made things well alot better.

    My question is will the meager Lumia 520 get gdr3 + bittersweet shimmer sans the stuff this phone doesn't need ?

    On a tangent I wonder who in the office chose the name bittersweet shimmer because in my opinion it sounds like a school girl thought it up.

    And I've looked it up bit simply do not remember, will gdr3 fix text selection ? Because while not a deal breaker it is kinda annoying.

    Thanks in advance for any and all replies
  2. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #2  
    Yes it will, as long as the carriers don't stand in the way.
  3. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Yes it will, as long as the carriers don't stand in the way.
    Awesome ,in my experience koodo is pretty good with updates gdr2 came pretty quick after all.

    Do you tthink 520 will get wp8.1 ?
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yup!
  5. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Yup!
    I have to ask is that just wishful thinking or is there solid fact backing that up because I was a crack berry addict until I got burned by the promised but never delivered playbook debacle
  6. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #6  
    Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

    It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1
    Thanked by:
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
  7. AR2186's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    625 Posts
    #7  
    Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

    As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
  8. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    Bittersweet Shimmer is a Crayola color. The Windows 8.x updates are all going by basic color code names (8.1 is "Blue"), and it seems Nokia is using more specialized colors to name their more differentiated firmware updates.

    As for the update, you will get it. If your carrier doesn't release it, and you don't have a specialized country variant (810, 822, 928, 920T), you should be able to manually flash a global firmware to update your phone. Expect to get at least Windows Phone 8.1 and all the 8.1 GDR updates
    oh well that makes more sense, still an odd choice in my books
  9. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Check this out: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

    It says that Windows Phone 8 will have a 36 month lifecycle. It says that they will continue to make OS updates available, though it is still conditioned on the OEMs to provide it. Considering the Nokia has been good at doing this and that Microsoft will own their cell phone division once that deal is done, I would say there is a 99.9% chance you will get 8.1
    I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720
  10. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda7772 View Post
    I did the search as you requested and at the very bottom it says updates depend on region and hardware capabilities. I say the last part because I have the lowest end windows phone 8 device the Lumia 520 that being said im aware the 520 is essentially the same phone as the 620 and 720
    I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

    There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!
  11. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I wouldn't be too worry about the region part esp. with the fact that it will be a MS owned phone. The hardware part, as it sounds like you already know, probably is referring more to features that may not be compatible with the lower end phones.

    There isn't very much "for sure" in the mobile world, though I would feel pretty good if I were you!
    I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol
  12. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda7772 View Post
    I know all about the no for sures in tech let alone mobile I waited 6 months for a playbook update that never came. I'd be happy with gdr3, 8.1 would just be bonus. Fix multitasking. And text selection and I'm a happy man lol
    What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?
  13. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    What exactly do you want changed about multitasking and text selection?
    I installed gdr3 via dev preview and multitasking is where I want it to be now its quicker and I can close apps from multi tasking screen.

    As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between
  14. nithin r's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #14  
    Does L520 has nokia camera???
  15. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nithin r View Post
    Does L520 has nokia camera???
    the Nokia camera will be provided via bittersweet shimmer. Now its up in the air if it will be available on the L520 they might of made optimizations who knows we will fond out when it comes
    Thanked by:
  16. Oris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda7772 View Post
    I

    As for text selection I'd like to be able to select individual letters in a word I can't seem to figure it out if it is available. It only stats at beginning of the word or the end of the word nothing in-between
    have you try tap and hold the screen for few seconds? By doing this you can see the pointer to correct any typo.
  17. Barracuda7772's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oris View Post
    have you try tap and hold the screen for few seconds? By doing this you can see the pointer to correct any typo.
    Thank you ! I knew there had to be a way. Now my next question is to wonder if my Lumia 520 on gdr3 will get 8.1 Blue
  18. Akshay Sarnaik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #18  
    Hello mate,
    GDR3 is available to lumia 520.
    Thank You.
  19. nithin r's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Sarnaik View Post
    Hello mate,
    GDR3 is available to lumia 520.
    Thank You.
    how did u update to gdr3???
  20. yentenebcc_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Sarnaik View Post
    Hello mate,
    GDR3 is available to lumia 520.
    Thank You.
    What do you mean by GDR3. Is it that 3G. i would be appreciate that if anyone could elaborate on it.
  21. vishu_lumia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #21  
    He meant GDR 3 Sans Bitter sweet shimmer which is available for quite a while now not many improvements but i noticed following
    1. we send group messages in messaging app
    2. better battery back up
    3. Auto rotation lock
    4. advanced settings under bluetooth
    5.Detailed storage info
  22. yentenebcc_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #22  
    Thank you for your information.
  23. jlynnm350z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #23  
    What is Nokia bringing to gdr3
  24. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    What is Nokia bringing to gdr3
    Most likely some fices and improvements, perhaps Glance Background and Notifications will be the most obvious.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

    3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)


    I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
  25. #25  
    How to Update GDR3 in lumia 520... I am from India and I am not finding any new software update available...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lumia 920 2G no connection
    By AhmedEzz in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 08:59 PM
  2. Lumia 925 Owners From INDIA - Lets Talk
    By Brokn Wing in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
  3. GDR2/AMBER WIFI DOESN'T WORK for at&t Lumia 920!!!
    By JosephHaubrich93 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 04:59 PM
  4. Nokia Lumia 920 Vibration Not Working or Too Soft
    By SomanFx in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  5. Lumia 920 Repair
    By SomanFx in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions