AT&T Picture MMS messaging with no data. Can't figure it out.

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a Lumia 520 on AT&T with no data package. When the phone first booted I checked the box to NOT use a data connection. Everything works great except I cannot send or receive picture messages. I've tried various internet and APN settings I've found around the web but nothing as worked. Does anyone have this working?

madyrocksin

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Checking the box NOT to use data connection, won't that totally stop your data transfer ?? and Picture messages will need data connection. Am i missing something here ???

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
MMS uses data. It does not count against your data allotment but MMS needs some type of data available. WiFi doesn't count unfortunately.

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok, well dang it's going to be almost impossible to turn data on to enable MMS but not let other things use data such as synching email etc.

Sooner Al

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok, well dang it's going to be almost impossible to turn data on to enable MMS but not let other things use data such as synching email etc.

If your connected to a WiFi network email, web surfing, etc will use that first and will only use the data connection if the WiFi link is lost. I have a $40 200 MByte data plan from AT&T and have never come close to going over because I use a lot of WiFi connections around town, at friends and at home with my AT&T Lumia 520.

F2a

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If I had AT&T put a data block on the account and then turn the data connection on in the phone settings I wonder if I could achieve my goal?

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
No. It actually needs the data connection. Not just a settings toggle to be on. You could use something like Whatsapp or any other messaging app though as long as the recipients also have it. MMS through the carrier is impossible without data.

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No. It actually needs the data connection. Not just a settings toggle to be on. You could use something like Whatsapp or any other messaging app though as long as the recipients also have it. MMS through the carrier is impossible without data.

that's incorrect I have a Lumia 520 ATT on the 25 dollar monthly plan no data plan so long as the toggle for data is on it's fine

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
that's incorrect I have a Lumia 520 ATT on the 25 dollar monthly plan no data plan so long as the toggle for data is on it's fine

Data is still required. MMS needs mobile data. You have the $25 GoPhone plan? This includes MMS service. This would mean that your phone will get data for MMS only, similar to a feature phone without a data plan.

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the 25 dollar monthly plan unlimited texting that's all no mobile data at all when I send mms in my account it says data but says 0$

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot (12).jpg Screenshot (13).jpg i'm not sure why but you Have to have Mobile Data on to use the MMS Service while it does not charge me and instead uses my Messaging

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3