My Nokia Lumia 520 fails to boot to Operating System

leolucas

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 520 fails to boot to it's operating system after i did initiate the update. While it was updating, I left the coverage area of the wifi connectivity, and afterwards it has refused to boot to the OS. Keeps displaying the setting icons that spins. Thanks all in anticipation to your swift and positive responses.....:unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
How do I go about that?

to do a HARD RESET press and hold the volume down, power and camera buttons all at the same time for approx 15 seconds, the phone will vibrate then reboot and reload the OS, this will completely reset the phone to factory default, note> this will wipe the phone completely, a SOFT RESET is when you press and hold the volume down and power buttons for approx 15 seconds which simply reboots the phone, try a soft reset first, if that fails then do a hard reset

leolucas

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Rich,

Thanks much for the tip did help to great extent, really appreciate. Did help to a great extent, the firmware download of 1.36Gb completed, but experienced this hurdle while trying to update the device, and prompts the error message below;

"Device updating failed. Error code: 0x80131500. you may try to do recovery or cancel. if you cancel your device may stop working"

Will be grateful if further assistance can be redered or provided to help get my phone back up and functional, becuase it's been 4 days i have been offline, and my work is suffering.

Thanks much guys in anticipation to your swift and positive responses.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
the link shmsnh has given you is a "if all else fails" method, and a great link to have, please note though, this does require that you are on a computer that is running windows7 or higher, if you arent running one of those versions of windows your SOL with that link, I didn't see a post by "Rich" here, what method did he recommend? in case he doesn't respond i might be able to further you along, also there is another trick that might work, some have called it BS and in truth i thought that to when i first stumbled upon it, however in desperation i gave it a shot and was actually surprised it worked, i have since tried it on 4 other phones 2 920's 1 925 and 1 520 it worked on the 920's and 520 but couldn't get it to work on the 925, so take it for what its worth, the method is as follows:

with phone powered off, press and hold vol down and connect wall charger, when exclamation mark appears press in order, vol up vol down power, vol down, phone should then reboot.

like i said, alot of people have said this is BS, who knows, maybe by coincidence i just got lucky 3 out of 4 times, but it has worked for me

Last edited:

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
That is correct. The software I have linked is the last recovery option, short of returning the phone for exchange. And it requires Windows 7 or later with an internet connection.
But before you use it, I recommend trying the key combination given by sym1a1a. While off, press the power down key until you get an exclaimation point; then press the volume up, volume down, power, volume down keys in that order. If your firmware is intact, this key combo will initiate a hard reset.

The key combination isn't BS. It's the key combination for hard reset.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That is correct. The software I have linked is the last recovery option, short of returning the phone for exchange. And it requires Windows 7 or later with an internet connection.
But before you use it, I recommend trying the key combination given by sym1a1a. While off, press the power down key until you get an exclaimation point; then press the volume up, volume down, power, volume down keys in that order. If your firmware is intact, this key combo will initiate a hard reset.

The key combination isn't BS. It's the key combination for hard reset.

Hi shmsnh, the key combination for a hard reset is actually vol down+power+camera button for 10-15 sec, my understanding of the method i described is that this combo forces the phone to over ride and rewrite the phones boot log after reset, the l920 was famous for freezing when trying to update the OS, it was apparently due to some kind of issue with the boot log used after a full phone reset, i dont know if this can be equated to some type of BIOS or CMOS issue like you find on a computer, however i do know that no other form of reset on the phone will produce that exclamation mark symbol that pops up when you use this method, it does not show up when you do a soft reset, a key combo hard reset or if you reset the phone to default in the settings menu under about, also i dont know if this is limited to just ATT phones, the three phones i got it to work on were ATT phones, the 925 was a T-Mobile phone and no matter how many times i tried i could not get it to work on the 925, i just never got that exclamation mark symbol and the owner of phone finally went and got it exchanged

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I honestly have no idea where the combo with camera key came from. Maybe I'm new to the operating system. Microsoft's official key combination to hard reset WP8 devices is the one you've mentioned earlier - the same combination which I repeated on my previous post - i.e. power down key until you get an exclaimation point; then the volume up, volume down, power, volume down keys in that order.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Indeed. I'm going to stick with Microsoft's recommended key combination, if I ever need to reset my phone using the keys.

Thanks for the other links, though. I had never come across that.

Moazzem Hossain

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 520 fail to boot operating system and also fail to Hard reset. It shows after power :ERROR: failure to find a bootable option. Press any key to shut down. But no key is seen.

how i will solve this problem.

Last edited:

Moazzem Hossain

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
tried Lumia recovery software via PC,

My phone does not respond. After click this it comes and software comes windows 8, This does not support my phone.
So, now what to do??

Moazzem Hossain

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
tried Lumia recovery software via PC,

My phone does not respond. After click this it comes and software comes windows 8, This does not support my phone.
So, now what to do??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99