Why did the Windows update 8.1 crash my Windows 8 Nokia Lumia 520 phone?

Leshay Luckett

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
why did the windows update 8.1 crash my windows 8 nokia lumia 520 phone?

I received the notification that there was a system update. I accepted it. It said that it would take 5 to 10 minutes to download and install. At the time I had 65% battery life and the phone was on the charger during the time. After the install, the phone would not come on. It repeatedly gave the symbol of a battery with a small red thin section off to the left with the flashing plug even though I knew the battery was at 65% percent and was never taken off the charger. I downloaded the recovery tool which did absolutely nothing but waste my time. I called nokia only to not get an answer. I took the phone to walmart being that I got the phone from there with their Family Mobile service. They couldn't get it to turn on. After about an hour, they did something to get it to come back on. When it came on, it stayed on from yesterday when I left walmart, until today about 2 hours ago. Earlier, the phone kept shutting off and turning back on by itself, then it turned off and didn't turn back on. I had the phone set to automatic updates, but what ***** would put an update that massive in the network system. I can't go from windows vista to windows 7 via windows update, so why send me an update that massive and run the chance of crashing someones phone instead of sending me an email from nokia, microsoft, or any of the other services that I had to set up when I first purchased the phone in february. I loved this phone. It was the best in the whole world. live tiles are amazing. If i wanted a pull down notification bar I would have stuck with the sucky android people. I want my phone to be the way it was when I bought it, and I would greatly appreciate it if my phone could be fixed being that the system crashed it not me.

karan5sep

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: why did the windows update 8.1 crash my windows 8 nokia lumia 520 phone?

Same happened with me in Lumia 520, while my phone was 92% charged & I had more than 1.5GB internal memory free still it crashed my phone.
It had downloaded the update and restarted to 2 levers (almost 50% done), then after 5 minutes my phone showed nokia symbol and it restarts.

I have also tried Microsoft recovery software and it installs the software but when it asks for restart again same nokia symbol and restarting problem.
It is fault of Microsoft who has provided OTA update, nokia service centre says its not repairable.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Sometimes a SD-card can cause this

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

If i wanted a pull down notification bar I would have stuck with the sucky android people. I want my phone to be the way it was when I bought it.

You probably shouldn't have let the phone take the update then, did you not know what changes 8.1 would bring? If you can get the phone to turn back on, I would remove the SD card(if you have one) and do a factory reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3