Nokia Lumia 521, Unlocked?

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I never received any email from T-Mobile. I contacted them again today and they refused to unlock it. This isn't "uncarrier" behavior IMO, but I'm obviously biased.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I never received any email from T-Mobile. I contacted them again today and they refused to unlock it. This isn't "uncarrier" behavior IMO, but I'm obviously biased.

If you sign up for any of their plans for a few months, then call them again, they'll probably unlock it. The other option is to buy an unlock code online. Shouldn't cost more than $20.

Scott Kenyon

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one from a site. The known respected ones wanted $40. That's ludacris. I found one for $6. I think I got scammed, but whatever. Worth a shot. Perhaps I'll try to trade it for a 520.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one from a site. The known respected ones wanted $40. That's ludacris. I found one for $6. I think I got scammed, but whatever. Worth a shot. Perhaps I'll try to trade it for a 520.

I once got an unlock code for a quantum for 99 cents on eBay. It always depends on who you go with.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems the site I used was reputable. Sadly, they told me they couldn't unlock the device and refunded me the money. I'm out of luck with this thing, lol.

I got the code for an AT&T Lumia 520 for $14.99 from cellunlocker.net. It only took a few hours for them to provide me with the code.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The thought just occurred to me, but, I wonder if the law against unlocking is why some customer representatives are refusing to give unlock codes, since technically it is illegal. (as in, the occasional rep may be paranoid about breaking such silly law, or they may of been instructed by a supervisor at that specific customer support center not to, because of it.)

If you missed the news earlier this year, the Library of Congress made the decision to refuse to renew an exception to the DCMA that allowed unlocking of phones, which had been made years back in a response to it becoming illegal to unlock devices. This caused an outrage and over 114k people signed a petition on the Whitehouse's petition website. This caught the FCC's attention and they stated that they would work hard to try and make unlocking cellular phones permanently legal. However, the FCC cannot, on its own, change the laws and fix this. Instead, they have to go through the process of submitting things to Congress and all that "jazz". Currently, it is still illegal to unlock ones cellular device.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear, it is only illegal to unlock phones without the carrier's permission. There is no issue with carrier's unlocking phones. The reason for the ruling is because carriers were complaining people buying phones from them but immediately using them on other carriers. This is an issue because carriers will often discount a phone to cost, or even slightly below. Carriers do this to attract users to their network, expecting to make the money back from the service fees these individuals pay.

Customer service reps that refuse to unlock phones because it is illegal are idiots -- unfortunately we all have likely talked to idiots in customer service/tech support positions.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, it is only illegal to unlock phones without the carrier's permission. There is no issue with carrier's unlocking phones. The reason for the ruling is because carriers were complaining people buying phones from them but immediately using them on other carriers. This is an issue because carriers will often discount a phone to cost, or even slightly below. Carriers do this to attract users to their network, expecting to make the money back from the service fees these individuals pay.

Customer service reps that refuse to unlock phones because it is illegal are idiots -- unfortunately we all have likely talked to idiots in customer service/tech support positions.

Exactly. You beat me to the punch but quite a few people seem to be confused regarding the law and unlocking cell phones.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It seems the site I used was reputable. Sadly, they told me they couldn't unlock the device and refunded me the money. I'm out of luck with this thing, lol.

I think there is a marketplace on this forum. You might try swapping your phone out for someone that wants to be on T-Mobile and has an ATT 520.

kabuye Robert

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, someone sent me lumia 521 from USA but whenever i insert in my simcard(mtn uganda) it asks me unlock code, can someone has an ideal how i can deal with this please?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, someone sent me lumia 521 from USA but whenever i insert in my simcard(mtn uganda) it asks me unlock code, can someone has an ideal how i can deal with this please?

You need an unlock code from the network that the phone is meant to work on. Or you can try your luck with an online unlocking service. There are many to choose from.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Habeeb Chonari

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
pls help me to unlock my lumia 521 by T-MOBILES...... :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::kiss:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
pls help me to unlock my lumia 521 by T-MOBILES...... :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::kiss:

Seriously, you need to read what has already been posted. To be able to use a SIM card in a phone that has been SIM locked to a specific network you will need a unique SIM unlock code that will only work on your specific mobile handset. This is because the code is unique to your handsets iMEI number which in turn is unique to your phones IMEI number. In other words, no two unlock codes are the same. So the only people who can legitimately supply the unlock code are those who the phone is locked to.
Therefore, there is no point asking on a forum for an unlock code.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

eaglesoars

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Could anyone recommend a good unlocking service? I have seen mixed reviews for cellunlocker. I have purchased a 521 (paid in full) and want to use it overseas.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
My issues with both cellunlocker.net and cellunlock.net is that they take on the order of weeks to deliver the unlock code. Yes, I've dealt with both, and in both cases successfully, but only if a month delay fits within your definition of success.

Bob-oh

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
In light of the recent signing of the "Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act," I'm wondering if the unlock situation has changed. Is it still necessary to qualify for all of T-Mobile's criteria or can this be bypassed? Thanks.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
no. the new act says it is no longer illegal to unlock a phone without the provider's permission. it doesn't mean the carrier is required to allow it to be unlocked. it just means that if the person can find someone to unlock the phone, it's not an illegal act.

however, that said, the carriers had already agreed (due to pressure from the FCC) to unlock phones after the expiration of contracts or after a year for prepaid phones. so the act is kind of redundant. I guess if the phone is a year old, you can ask AT&T or T-Mobile to unlock it (if it wasn't a contract phone).

chaand farish

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Does the Nokia Lumia 521 come unlocked when you buy the phone on HSN. I have a tmobile sim card I currently use, is it possible for me to be able to replace it with that?

Yes ! Its better to check your Nokia is unlocked or not by just inserting another network sim card with it . If it asks for unlock code , you can unlock it from carrier lock by using unlock code . You can get it from any of the online vendors like Unlocking4U.com to unlock it . After unlocking your Nokia, you c

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans