Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Shad0wguy
  • 1 Post By MrSherboto
  • 1 Post By Baldo Ficalora
  • 3 Post By MrSherboto

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Anyone know if Nokia intends on realeasing replacment back covers, in different colors for the Lumia 521? Press shots of the 520 show it with multiple color back covers, but I havent seen this for the 521. With the Lumia 710 they had released multiple covers in several colors, in fact I have a few of them. Any thoughts on this? Would you like to see these available?

No replacement back covers yet or any official word for them.
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Sure would be nice. I have seen a few pics of the Lumia 520 with red cover, that looks pretty sweet.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Won't the ones for the 520 work? I thought they were basically the same phone.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD

No the 521 is slightly larger than the 520
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corepc View Post
    No the 521 is slightly larger than the 520
    Indeed, the Lumia 520 didnt have enough room for T-mobile branding.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanbecker View Post
    Indeed, the Lumia 520 didnt have enough room for T-mobile branding.
    or Bloatware!

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antiochian2010 View Post
    or Bloatware!
    At least the bloatware can be removed easily, unlike on android phones.
    CopaCC likes this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    The. 520 doesn't have the camera button either I believe.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    All windows phones have a camera button.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I saw only one replacement cover for the 521 and it came in White! Love to have a black cover. I did write to the supplier and he said that it was an exclusive to T-Mobile.

Personally, I don't understand why manufacturers would create external cases that snap onto the 521's outer shell, instead of simply replacing this entire battery cover. It's an extremely simple part made with basic mechanics, no antennas or metal connectors, just a set of push-buttons mounted to the side. It's almost like Nokia was designing the phone with the intention of 3rd-party replacement covers, perhaps integrated directly into a more complete (and more efficient) case.

Yet, with all the accessories China has pumped out so far for the 521, none of them directly replace this simple slab of plastic that makes up the phone's exterior color? Internet, I am disappoint.

(I want one in a dark blue. Or my own graphic. Something. I just don't want a bulky case... I just want to replace this plain white shell!)

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    If anyone wants a replacement they have to make it themselves. T-Mobile is not that big on the 521 if you judge it in the stores and the accessories for it. It has two cases and the one that I like the Tech 21 is $29.99. If basically a plastic case but it one piece instead of two separate pieces and it only in Black!

I talk with customer service and it is only offered in White. No other colors are planned. I talk with some other Nokia blogger and he said that the 521 is a limited edition exclusively for T-Mobile; while the 520 is offered worldwide.

Don't know about the rest of you, but my 521 was just two slippery for my hands. I dropped it several times in the first two weeks I owned it. Fortunately, it was never damaged or scratched. I also felt like the glass covering the camera needed a bit more protection. My solution was to buy a silicone rubber cover for it off eBay for $4.95 w/free shipping. It fits like a glove and fixes the problem for me. There is still nothing over the camera glass, but at least its now recessed into the cover about 1/16". They offered them in 5 colors.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I don't use a case currently, because the phone isnt that slippery to me.

I came from a Nokia 700 with a metal battery cover... that phone was extremely slippery.

The only reason I see the use for a case Is to raise the screen up for the times when I drop it it face down on the ground... Hell i dont even use a screen protector :P

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Without the case; the 521 looks much better and less bulky! Just have to be very careful.

I use this Acme Sleek Video Camera Case, I bought it originally for my focus flash from Best Buy,

The 521 fits rather nicely other than sticking out of the top of case a little bit, and you can't zip it up all the way. But it easy to pull out and place back in.
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

It's slipery to me and the white color i feel will get stained / dirty from daily use, I'd probably go for a clear TPU case in this model

How is this not a more frequently requested feature?
    Thanked by:
    xdalaw 

I know this is an old thread, but I just got the lumia 521 yesterday. I also thought this phone was too slippery, and was worried about dropping it.

As far as simply coloring it goes, I found this tutorial online: tmblr.us: To dye your Nokia Lumia 521’s white shell to a new...
    It looks like the case is easily dyed with RIT dye.

As for making it less slippery, I found this tutorial which involves spraying the phone with plasti-dip. I'm likely going to try it sometime this week, and I'll post pictures when it's done.
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    3,725 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSherboto View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I just got the lumia 521 yesterday. I also thought this phone was too slippery, and was worried about dropping it.

As far as simply coloring it goes, I found this tutorial online: tmblr.us: To dye your Nokia Lumia 521’s white shell to a new...
    It looks like the case is easily dyed with RIT dye.

As for making it less slippery, I found this tutorial which involves spraying the phone with plasti-dip. I'm likely going to try it sometime this week, and I'll post pictures when it's done.
    I'd be interested to see how your phone looks afterwards.
    Could be the start of something big I'm thinking.
    I order my stuff from wirelessemporium
    Guytronic likes this.

So it is done. And I think it turned out pretty great. Here are some pictures that I took after it was finished: Plasti Dipping My Nokia Lumia 521 - Imgur.
    It's a hell of a lot less slippery now, I can use it with one hand without worrying about dropping it. It still pivots a bit when you're using it on a desk, but much less than before.

I'd recommend it to anyone with some extra time and a steady hand. I like small phones so I wanted to avoid the bulk of a case, so while this was a cool project, it ended up costing me more than a case would.

I got the plasti-dip from Amazon: Amazon for about 8.50.
    I know that the cap looks more like orange, but as you can see from my pictures, it's actually a nice deep red.
    I ended up buying some paint thinner at a local hardware store for around 7.50.
    Other stuff I ended up needing for the project which I already had: x-acto knife and masking tape.

If any of you are going to try the same thing, here are some tips in no particular order:
    • Clean the case with soap and water before spraying.
    • Don't spray with the body of the phone attached (duh).
    • Buttons are really difficult. I inserted thin strips of paper into the spaces between the buttons and the case. Even with that, they needed some pretty significant cleanup with an x-acto knife. They didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but they still work, and probably will get less gummed up with use.
    • You NEED to shake the can well before use. If you don't you will get bubbles.
    • If you get bubbles (which I did) you can get rid of them by getting some paint thinner on your finger and rubbing until they are smooth. Paint thinner will re-liquify the plasti-dip, so you can do this once it dries. After using the paint thinner, give it another coat.
    • As per the directions, approximately 30 minutes between coats.
    • Let it dry for 4 hours minimum after the final coat. You don't want this stuff coating the inside of your pockets.
    • Don't lie the front of the case directly on your drop cloth when you spray, it will stick and be very unpleasant. Instead, I used a toilet paper tube to elevate the case above the drop cloth.
    • Don't spray the entirety of the inside of the case, instead mask most of it, while leaving a little bit of space on the inside edges, to prevent peeling.
    • If you mess up, this stuff will peel right off of non-porous surfaces. I'm not sure how non-porous this case is, but it seems like it'd peel just fine.
    • You'll probably want about 4-5 coats, but more if you keep messing up.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,725 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSherboto View Post
    So it is done. And I think it turned out pretty great. Here are some pictures that I took after it was finished: Plasti Dipping My Nokia Lumia 521 - Imgur.
    It's a hell of a lot less slippery now, I can use it with one hand without worrying about dropping it. It still pivots a bit when you're using it on a desk, but much less than before.

I'd recommend it to anyone with some extra time and a steady hand. I like small phones so I wanted to avoid the bulk of a case, so while this was a cool project, it ended up costing me more than a case would.
    Wow
    Pretty slick!

Great idea and good effort.
    You have talent!