Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. neak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I just recently purchased Lumia 521 for my mom due to WP's ease of use and super low price point for smartphone. This is my mom's first smart phone.

    Two days after I gave her the Lumia 521, the phone was dead (out of battery). She charges the phone every night but the charger that came with Lumia 521 doesn't always connect properly. There is no LED on the phone to indicate that the phone is charging battery. There is no LED on the charger to indicate it's charging. The icon on the WP is super small she doesn't notice it (she is farsighted). There is no wireless charing option for Lumia 521.

    I found another usb charger with LED light but that one lights up whenever it's plugged to AC not just to the phone.

    Does anyone know a good fool proof charger that will light up only when the phone is charging? I read through couple pages of Amazon review for chargers but can't really figure out which one fits my criteria. I know Nokia has to cut some corners for low end smartphone but not having a charging light is a serious problem for me. It's even worse than not having a FFC.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Newfangled's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    So I did a little digging with the help of Bing and Amazon and found this:

    Amazon.com: Skque Micro USB data cable +Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protector+car charger +home/wall charger with LED charging indicator for Blackberry 9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

    I know it says it's for BlackBerry, but if the Lumia 521 takes a standard Micro USB cable, it should work. The description specifically says it has an LED charging indicator. For only $2.22 it might be worth a shot.
  3. Corepc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,333 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,335 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    If you are worried about the Lumia 521 overcharging the battery, it does not. Once battery is around 99% it will go into low power charge mode.

    You could always install a battery app and pin to your homescreen.

    But it is just better to check top right hand corner of screen for battery %, if not displayed then double tap top right hand corner.
  4. neak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfangled View Post
    So I did a little digging with the help of Bing and Amazon and found this:

    Amazon.com: Skque Micro USB data cable +Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protector+car charger +home/wall charger with LED charging indicator for Blackberry 9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

    I know it says it's for BlackBerry, but if the Lumia 521 takes a standard Micro USB cable, it should work. The description specifically says it has an LED charging indicator. For only $2.22 it might be worth a shot.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try this one.
  5. jaceot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    My phone always makes a noise when it's plugged in correctly. That's something to point out to your mom.
  6. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaceot View Post
    My phone always makes a noise when it's plugged in correctly. That's something to point out to your mom.
    Actually all WP phones does that noise thing.
  7. neak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by neak View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try this one.
    Unfortunately, the led of the charger lights up immediately when it's plugged in.
    The led light is red which is a lot better than the blue one I have previously. But, it's still not what I'm looking for.
  8. Newfangled's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by neak View Post
    Unfortunately, the led of the charger lights up immediately when it's plugged in.
    The led light is red which is a lot better than the blue one I have previously. But, it's still not what I'm looking for.
    Does it turn off when the phone is fully charged, or just stay on all the time?
  9. neak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfangled View Post
    Does it turn off when the phone is fully charged, or just stay on all the time?
    It stays on all the time even when the phone is fully charged. It bothers me more that the light is on when the phone is disconnected. I really don't understand the purpose of the light. To tell if the power outlet is working? What's the chance of bad power outlet?! Waste of electricity.
  10. Newfangled's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by neak View Post
    It stays on all the time even when the phone is fully charged. It bothers me more that the light is on when the phone is disconnected. I really don't understand the purpose of the light. To tell if the power outlet is working? What's the chance of bad power outlet?! Waste of electricity.
    Yeah, the product description on that thing really is misleading. A charging indicator, to me, would indicate when charging is taking place!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
  2. Wireless car charger for Nokia Lumia 920
    By sbLumia900 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
  3. DIY Nokia Wireless Car Charger Mod for Lumia 920
    By freel123 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  4. EE Lumia 920 and charger for 329
    By Griffinx in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 07:08 AM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions