phone wont boot past blue screen of death

Shaylaw

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
hey guys, i'm a android person but got my gf a lumia 521 and she loved it. I ended up purchasing one of the "bring your own phone" sim card kits for t mobile prepaid since the guy i bought the phone off of didn't give me a sim card with it but when the sim card was inserted the phone displayed some error message about the sim card (unfortunately i wasn't there when she put the sim card in so i don't know exactly what it said ) and now the phone wont boot up past the nokia screen, it goes straight to a blank blue screen and nothing else. any ideas what happened or how i can fix this? thanks.
Same here..I really need my phone fixed

dsscottage

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. When I boot my Lumia 520, I get the Nokia screen then the BSOD. i.e. a sad face emoticon in landscape mode.

I've tried the following:
-removed and replaced the battery, SIM card and 64 GB SD Card
-tried a reset

Still getting the BSOD

Can I confirm that I'm doing the reset correctly?
1. Phone off
2. Press Power button (just press or press & hold?)
3. Press and hold Volume down (should get exclamation mark)
4. Press Volume up, volume down, power, volume down.

At step 2 & 3, I've tried both press & hold both power and volume down as well as press and release power, then press and hold volume down.

No matter what I do, I can't get anything other than the BSOD.

Am I doing something wrong?

Resolution.....
I continued to fiddle with this issue. In case anyone has the same problem, here's my resolution.
The phone wouldn't reset and the Nokia Software Recovery tool didn't work either. It seemed to reinstall the software but the phone wouldn't reboot at the end of the process.

As a last resort, I removed the 64GB and left it out as I attempted another phone restore. It worked. I suspect that if I had simply removed the SD card, the phone would probably have worked correctly without the restore. (I had previously moved all possible apps to the SD card. During the boot process, the phone probably looked for these apps, couldn't find them then refused to boot.)

I subsequently attempted to read and reformat the SD card in my computer. The computer failed to recognize that it was inserted. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that it is defective.

Further info....
Both my wife and I have Lumia 520s. The problem above occurred on wife's phone. However, my phone just encountered the same problem. I removed the SD card and it works perfectly (except for all the apps and data on the SD card). I didn't reset the phone.

This is very suspect. I find it an odd coincidence that 2 SD cards would fail in exactly the same way within a couple days of each other. However, they were exactly the same model and size of SD card. Nonetheless, they had been working fine for about a year. About a month ago, both phones were updated to Win Phone 8.1. I'm wondering if the OS had been silently updated in the last few days. The phones both show Windows Phone 8.1 version 8.10.12393.890 (I don't think that this is 8.1 update)

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

More thoughts....
As I'm thinking about this problem, another thought occurs. There is usually some significant event that precipitates a computer/smartphone problem. The last (and recent) significant event to occur on both of these phones was the installation of Lumia Storage Check Beta which allows me to move the Maps apps to the SD card. I did this and subsequently download several maps to the SD card. There wouldn't have been enough room on the phones main memory for these maps. My apps are also set to automatically update. My wife's phone was the first to see the BSOD problem and her phone had been turned on much more than mine.

In further research on Lumia Storage Check Beta, I found a site which reports that the Beta trial has been concluded and an app called Storage Sense is included with Win Phone 8.1. Further, Lumia Storage Check Beta is not compatible with Win Phone 8.1. I didn't previously know this and since Storage Sense wouldn't allow me to move Maps to the SD card I installed Lumia Storage Check Beta anyway. It seemed to work initially but I suspect that the incompatibility caused my problem during a Maps update.

Again, I'd be interested if anyone else has seen the same sequence of events.

Last edited:

madura chathuranga

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
hey guys, i'm a android person but got my gf a lumia 521 and she loved it. I ended up purchasing one of the "bring your own phone" sim card kits for t mobile prepaid since the guy i bought the phone off of didn't give me a sim card with it but when the sim card was inserted the phone displayed some error message about the sim card (unfortunately i wasn't there when she put the sim card in so i don't know exactly what it said ) and now the phone wont boot up past the nokia screen, it goes straight to a blank blue screen and nothing else. any ideas what happened or how i can fix this? thanks.

Darshan D Gowda

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot, it worked on my lumia 620.
I really tried with many steps, looked into many forums for solution. This was simple and fixed my problem thanks a lot...

John Yellott

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much. Out of the box I only had a constantly rebooting phone with a blue screen and frown. Your advice worked perfectly and now the phone is apparently working properly.

John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon