phone wont boot past blue screen of death

SkywolfNYNE

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, i'm a android person but got my gf a lumia 521 and she loved it. I ended up purchasing one of the "bring your own phone" sim card kits for t mobile prepaid since the guy i bought the phone off of didn't give me a sim card with it but when the sim card was inserted the phone displayed some error message about the sim card (unfortunately i wasn't there when she put the sim card in so i don't know exactly what it said ) and now the phone wont boot up past the nokia screen, it goes straight to a blank blue screen and nothing else. any ideas what happened or how i can fix this? thanks.

SkywolfNYNE

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It always go back to the blue screen with or without simcard. And doing the resets I even managed to get it to freeze on a lightning bolt and a gear symbol. I'm running out of ideas to get it to boot

Skohn

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem!!! Today is only the 18th day I have owned the new Lumia 521.. It was fine this morning.. then on my way to work I pulled it out & it was turned off without me doing so.. When I powered it back on, it showed booted the Nokia name, then T-Mobile, then a blue screen & then turns off.. If I have it plugged into the charger and try to power on it does the exact same thing over & over again until I unplug it.. I have tried to reboot/master reset every way possible both with & without the sim card... I do not know what else to do!! Nothing I try works.. Its just stuck on blue! :(

Skohn

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have also managed to get my phone to show the lighting bolt & gear symbol.. as well as a " ! " symbol.. I'm am totally lost on wth is going on with this phone.. :(

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have also managed to get my phone to show the lighting bolt & gear symbol.. as well as a " ! " symbol.. I'm am totally lost on wth is going on with this phone.. :(
Have it replaced. If you're sure you've tried everything in your power to repair it, have it replaced.

SkywolfNYNE

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
ah the only problem with getting it replaced is that i bought it off a friend :( i will google that nokia care suite thing though thanks for the tip. i wish it was like an android where you can just plug it in and volia full access to install and reset like magic. i dont see what the big appeal for windows phones are if they blue screen like a desktop haha

nomegustaios

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you are getting a "Lightning bolt and a gear" normally this is achieved by holding the volume up plus the volume key.

The proper way to reset the device is to:
With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.

• An ?!? mark will appear on the display.
  • Press the following keys in this order:
    1. Volume Up
    2. Volume Down
    3. Power Key
    4. Volume Down

daisyroberts

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Ah my phone had the blue screen too. Then i did the power button power down, and the rest of the procider now when i try to turn it on it comes up with a 'Windows Boot' Screen. It says i have to insert my windows installation disc and restart my computer. I have No idea what this is?? so annoyed

Gilbert Wright

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, The message probably said" Sim card has to be updated, This is what happened to me when I got my Samsung s2 with sim included. This is how they get you
.You have to go to their store and get a new card and when you leave, you end up with a contract when they say there is no contract.

ryaoni

May 23, 2012
Visit site
My wife had the same thing (blue screen) happen with her Lumia 925, only 2 weeks after buying it. We tried all the resets and T-Mobile had to send a replacement.

tomarlyn

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
If you are getting a "Lightning bolt and a gear" normally this is achieved by holding the volume up plus the volume key.

The proper way to reset the device is to:
With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone, then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.

• An ?!? mark will appear on the display.
  • Press the following keys in this order:
    1. Volume Up
    2. Volume Down
    3. Power Key
    4. Volume Down
That fixed my issue with the blank blue screen and continuous self reboots. Now I've got a pair of gears turning, factory reset?

Anyway thankyou I nearly wanted to pull my hair out. Just gonna wait and see what happens now.

***update*** yeah a factory reset happened, at least its working. Bless you sir.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)