What are some of your favorite apps for the Lumia 521?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Depends upon your taste, or need. Here are my top apps used.

1. XBOX Music
2. Nokia Music
3. Weather Channel
4. WikiInvest
5. Bloomberg (News)
6. Chronos Calendar
7. HD Photo Viewer
8. ProShot
9. WPCentral

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Used to go App Crazy and install everything that I could, but, then realized, did not need them all..Only install what you need

WPCentral - most used app
ProShot or Camera360
Weather Channel or AccuWeather
All Nokia Apps

I really do not have much else installed, a lot of games..

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Being into sports and music and using those types apps the most, a few I like...

Sports...
Baseball Pro 13
Football Live

Music...
Hey DJ! Great voice activated music app. I use it every day
MusiXmatch lyrics player

A few others are...
"Drag and Call" which I think is one of the best apps in the market. It has totally replaced the on-board dialer

"Insider Pro" A very slick all in one utility type app.

I also have a few "just for fun" type apps that I like to play with

"Sequencer" a fun app for creating your own short music beats
"911 Scanner" a really, really good police/fire scanner. Actually works as well as my regular scanner. I listen quite often to the L.A.P.D City Wide Dispatch. There is rarely 30 seconds of silence on that one lol very interesting stuff!

emagius

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Adobe Reader - for PDF files, since there's no built-in support
Baconit - a fantastic interface for reddit
Facebook - the built-in version is pretty lacking
i Podcast - the built-in podcast support in Xbox Music is horrendous
Nextgen Reader - the best newsreader I've come across for WP (but still far behind Pulse for me)
UC Browser - feature-filled web browser front-end, but it's super-crashy
Weather - don't recall which one this is, but it's one that's really small and fast
Yelp - somewhat less polished than on other platforms, but still useful for finding restaurants, etc.

(Baconit is the only WP app that I've found truly impressive as it offers a well designed UX, a great UI and wonderful performance. On the other hand, I didn't need a dedicated reddit app on iOS/Android/PC.)

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
so @ Oakdale dude- I looked up drag and call. It looked like a great app and I downloaded it. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to add my contacts!!! I was ready to uninstall it and forget about it. But I do like a challenge, so I opened it again. A LONG press will open the contact!! Well, hallelujah!! And if you touch the 3 dots- ..., it opens your contacts and you can chose your contact to be added instead of typing it in. Anyone know what the 99 cent add package does for this app???

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if halo spartan assault works on the lumia 521.
Heard it won't work on 512mb devices.With an update coming for 512mb devices.
Also it needs 3gb of space -_-

Should be getting my phone,micro sd, & case today in the mail.(maybe my screen protector,no tracking)
So I will take a look at your suggestions.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
waiting for 512 version of Spartan assault myself,

anybody using weave have problem with live tile no updating or pinning to desktop ?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I know this is about apps.

But has anyone purchased Spartan Assualt beside me and Does anybody else have a problem with Spartan Assualt controls on their 521 ? I am having a hard time firing sometimes ? Just does not register sometimes. Does not matter how I flip the phone, fire just does not work right?

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Transit Chicago
Pandora
WPCentral
6tag
Connectivity Shortcuts
ESPN Scorecenter
Bible
Here Maps
Data Sense
Express Browser
Battery

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My favorites:

For Calendar:

Week View 8
I've tried them all and this one is really good. It is not free, but it's worth it. Great tile and you don't have to keep paying for each little thing like Simple Calendar, plus it show "private events" unlike Simple Calendar. I liked Chronos but their their month view was kind of lame.

For weather:

Bright Weather

I've also tried them all and I don't really love any of them. However, this one is made by the Beautiful Widgets people and I trust that they will continue to develop this and so far they use accuweather and support many cities. If you need radar, this one won't be for you.

Misc:

ConnectivityShortcuts

Lots of apps do this but this one lets you change the colors of each shortcut so you can easily see which one is bluetooth or wireless etc.

GPS

Copilot GPS

I've tried a few but I really like this one. It is more accurate than Nokia and for me and if you live with Traffic, this one is the one to get. There is a traffic bar on the right that let's you see how traffic stacks up for the rest of your ride. It's visual and accurate. It is another paid app but one id gets you a license on all your devices. I have it on an old android and also licensed on my wife's iphone.

Music

Swipe Tunes

I have the hardest time shuffling my huge collection. Nokia Music refuses to shuffle my 6,000 song collection. All the programs seem to hang while trying to play all the songs and swipe tunes is capable of suffling the entire thing even though it also hangs. Is this a problem with the OS or the 521?

Lockscreen

Today

I've used lots of things, currently using Today, bing image of the day and cute looking weather.

News

News 360

Tried many things. Seems to be the only news app that syncs across all devices.

Home Screen

Group Tiles

It creates headers to better organize my home screen.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My favorites:

For Calendar:

Week View 8
I've tried them all and this one is really good. It is not free, but it's worth it. Great tile and you don't have to keep paying for each little thing like Simple Calendar, plus it show "private events" unlike Simple Calendar. I liked Chronos but their their month view was kind of lame.

For weather:

Bright Weather

I've also tried them all and I don't really love any of them. However, this one is made by the Beautiful Widgets people and I trust that they will continue to develop this and so far they use accuweather and support many cities. If you need radar, this one won't be for you.

Misc:

ConnectivityShortcuts

Lots of apps do this but this one lets you change the colors of each shortcut so you can easily see which one is bluetooth or wireless etc.

GPS

Copilot GPS

I've tried a few but I really like this one. It is more accurate than Nokia and for me and if you live with Traffic, this one is the one to get. There is a traffic bar on the right that let's you see how traffic stacks up for the rest of your ride. It's visual and accurate. It is another paid app but one id gets you a license on all your devices. I have it on an old android and also licensed on my wife's iphone.

Music

Swipe Tunes

I have the hardest time shuffling my huge collection. Nokia Music refuses to shuffle my 6,000 song collection. All the programs seem to hang while trying to play all the songs and swipe tunes is capable of suffling the entire thing even though it also hangs. Is this a problem with the OS or the 521?

Lockscreen

Today

I've used lots of things, currently using Today, bing image of the day and cute looking weather.

News

News 360

Tried many things. Seems to be the only news app that syncs across all devices.

Home Screen

Group Tiles

It creates headers to better organize my home screen.

What is that Today app? I cant seem to find it.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how to pick which ones are my favorites, but these are the ones I use at least once a week, if not daily

Accuweather
Adobe Reader
Battery
Betty Crocker Cookbook
Calorie Counter (a diet and exercise log)
Facebook
Here Drive and Maps
Hike and Bike (a GPS tracker that keeps track of my bike ride speeds, time, route, etc)
iHeart Radio
Music + Videos
Net Check Pro (for checking on WiFi problems and speeds)
Nokia Music
One Note
Photo Editor by Aviary
Proshot
Quick Timer
Sunset Calculator
The Home Depot
WP Central
Messaging (Nokia)
eMail (Nokia)
Calendar (Nokia)

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I swapped my weather app over to Breez, while it is a basic weather app (no advanced information, no radar, no lockscreen support) it is very very light on resources(memory, internet usage, live tile works, condition's are almost right every time I check against other apps, Love the UI gestures has well). Also it filled in B on my app list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss