Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris_Germany

When I first got my phone, using Nokia's storage check app to clear the temp files worked flawlessly, leaving less than 20MB of files left. Now, I have 970MB of temp files, on top of the 950MB of Other. Hitting the clear button doesn't do anything anymore and the Shrink Storage app isn't working either. On a phone with less than 8GB for apps and games, this is getting ridiculous. I've had to uninstall almost all my games and large apps to make room. Is my only option to do a hard reset?

Global Posts
    2,911 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordandrako View Post
    When I first got my phone, using Nokia's storage check app to clear the temp files worked flawlessly, leaving less than 20MB of files left. Now, I have 970MB of temp files, on top of the 950MB of Other. Hitting the clear button doesn't do anything anymore and the Shrink Storage app isn't working either. On a phone with less than 8GB for apps and games, this is getting ridiculous. I've had to uninstall almost all my games and large apps to make room. Is my only option to do a hard reset?
    You can wait for GDR2 to address your other issue. But at the end of the day , you will never have 0 or 0 temp or other files.
    If you knew you were going to be installing alot of games and apps, you should have opted for a phone with more than 8gb

Lets say.. In a perfect world, you do get your temp and other down to 0mb each. You will use that space to install more apps/games and eventually you will not be able to install anymore. Then what?

You will need to uninstall more apps and games

People think Microsoft is so horrible seems like they are forgetting about the 16gb s4 fiasco where users had about 9gbs free after the os ,lol

Where in my post did you think I said MS is horrible? I've never used android or iOS and won't if I have the choice.
    Thanks for being very helpful, telling me I should have had my wife spend $350 more on her gift so I could have a phone with 16GB of storage (with no SD slot), why didn't I think of that before.
    I don't need 0MB of Other, I expected that to be an issue before I got the phone, I'm just wondering why the clear button worked before but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post

People think Microsoft is so horrible seems like they are forgetting about the 16gb s4 fiasco where users had about 9gbs free after the os ,lol
    its not about getting lower space in mobile phone, ms has simply not given any option to clear cache or in this case, the issue is about other storage which for some people keeps growing and they have no choice except to do a hard reset. Its a sorry state of affairs. S4 is not a fiasco unlike this other storage. Mine is currently occupying 1.3gb which i have no way to clear. Samsung at least promises 9gb of clean storage, and its expandable including apps!! Op hasn't compared anyway

Global Posts
    2,911 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordandrako View Post
    Where in my post did you think I said MS is horrible? I've never used android or iOS and won't if I have the choice.
    Thanks for being very helpful, telling me I should have had my wife spend $350 more on her gift so I could have a phone with 16GB of storage (with no SD slot), why didn't I think of that before.
    I don't need 0MB of Other, I expected that to be an issue before I got the phone, I'm just wondering why the clear button worked before but not now.
    It will clear what it can.

Quote Originally Posted by broar94 View Post
    its not about getting lower space in mobile phone, ms has simply not given any option to clear cache or in this case, the issue is about other storage which for some people keeps growing and they have no choice except to do a hard reset. Its a sorry state of affairs. S4 is not a fiasco unlike this other storage. Mine is currently occupying 1.3gb which i have no way to clear. Samsung at least promises 9gb of clean storage, and its expandable including apps!! Op hasn't compared anyway
    As mentioned before. Other storage has been addressed with GDR2

Oh my Jesus. Clear your browsing history.

Quote Originally Posted by troylytle View Post
    Oh my Jesus. Clear your browsing history.
    thanks, but it only cleared 150MB. Any other ideas?

Anything that keeps a log. Music history and such.

Stop music has a utility that does that.

Quote Originally Posted by troylytle View Post
    Anything that keeps a log. Music history and such.
    How to clear a "music History" ..Even i have uninstalled some of the apps that im not using it...
    but still it stuck with 183 MB :(

Download stop music and use the utility in it to clear your history.
    Thanked by:

I have the same problem. My temporary files are now up to 1.8 GB & it won't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman DeSilva View Post
    I have the same problem. My temporary files are now up to 1.8 GB & it won't clear.
    The best way to clear temporary files is to reset your phone. However, you will lose everything that is on there. and if you have apps that are no longer available to download I understand why you wouldn't take this path.

Missing what it says:
    "Temporary files that are no longer needed are removed automatically, but you can clear some of them yourself now to free up a bit of space".
    It does not say it will clear all. It says it will clear what is no longer needed.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet on it. I'm just afraid that since it's a sim unlocked 920 running on T-Mobile that's also Dev unlocked thanks to Microsoft preview for developers app that I will have so much to lose. APN settings, etc, app log in information in addition to losing apps no longer in the marketplace. but between the 2.1 in temporary files that can't be deleted & other storage taking up 3.5 gb, I need to take back that 5 GB somehow before 8.1 for the lumia 920 comes out.

For the OP, WP8.1 will allow you to move downloaded apps to an SD card so that might help.

In regard to clearing "Other", you can't really - as long as it isn't growing in size there's really nothing else you can do....my Other has been at 1.1GB since the Black update. In terms of temporary files, what I read somewhere (and it worked for me) is that you change the date forward to the year 2100, and THEN go and clear the temp files under phone storage. It'll take a while (I exited out of the screen and locked it and left it for an hour on my desk) but maybe leave it overnight? I cleared 1.3GB down to 10MB. The only problem is that it comes back quickly

I'm going to have to bite the bullet on it. I'm just afraid that since it's a sim unlocked 920 running on T-Mobile that's also Dev unlocked thanks to Microsoft preview for developers app that I will have so much to lose. APN settings, etc, app log in information in addition to losing apps no longer in the marketplace. but between the 2.1 in temporary files that can't be deleted & other storage taking up 3.5 gb, I need to take back that 5 GB somehow before 8.1 for the lumia 920 comes out.
    Do you have a lot of apps installed?

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    You can wait for GDR2 to address your other issue. But at the end of the day , you will never have 0 or 0 temp or other files.
    If you knew you were going to be installing alot of games and apps, you should have opted for a phone with more than 8gb

Lets say.. In a perfect world, you do get your temp and other down to 0mb each. You will use that space to install more apps/games and eventually you will not be able to install anymore. Then what?

You will need to uninstall more apps and games

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason of having the option to clear temp files? I say so because I still have about 2 GB free space but no matter how I try the temp files keeps filling up again as soon as I finished emptying it. Not that I care but I would like to know. Sometimes I even wonder if it just refreshes it instead of actually deleting the files.

Then for me there is no need. If it gets full then its time to prioritize.
    Quote Originally Posted by makeskmr View Post
    How to clear a "music History" ..Even i have uninstalled some of the apps that im not using it...
    but still it stuck with 183 MB :(

hello? 183mb is NOTHING! Guys, windows needs temp and cache. You can not reduce it to 0!!!!

- Tapatalk -
    jojoe42 likes this.