Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Colby Lee

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I am not sure of the frequency differences between AT&T/T-Mobile and 521/520. I want to unlock my 521 and put in my AT&T SIM card and use this phone as my daily driver for a while. Will I be able to make calls without issues (are the cell frequencies compatible)? Also what kind of data speeds can you expect with an AT&T SIM on the 521?

It Supports AT&T 3g/4g HSPA Bands and should work fine on AT&T if you can get it unlocked.
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

2g only. My advice is to use simple mobile for the time being, unless you are stuck in contract and would have to pay extra, then I would go to your local at&t store and purchase the 520 for 100 bucks.

Any tmo branded phone will not receive at&t's 3g. Been doing it for years, and just recently experienced it on 3 devices through my family/friends , so I know it hasn't changed.
  5. tgp

Global Posts
    2,828 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    I am not sure of the frequency differences between AT&T/T-Mobile and 521/520. I want to unlock my 521 and put in my AT&T SIM card and use this phone as my daily driver for a while. Will I be able to make calls without issues (are the cell frequencies compatible)? Also what kind of data speeds can you expect with an AT&T SIM on the 521?
    I did exactly that. I have a Net10 SIM card using AT&T, and when I put it in my unlocked 521 it works great, including MMS & 4G. I've seen speeds up to 7Mbps down, but of course that varies greatly by location.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Lee View Post
    2g only. My advice is to use simple mobile for the time being, unless you are stuck in contract and would have to pay extra, then I would go to your local at&t store and purchase the 520 for 100 bucks.
    It sucks if it is only 2G. Damn I should have waited for the ATT version of 520. It is cheaper, doesn't have the stupid logo in the front, has better proportions (4mm shorter) as a result and has more accessory support being the same as the global model of 520.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    It sucks if it is only 2G. Damn I should have waited for the ATT version of 520. It is cheaper, doesn't have the stupid logo in the front, has better proportions (4mm shorter) as a result and has more accessory support being the same as the global model of 520.
    As others have stated, it will get 3G/HSPA+ speeds on AT&T. The L521 has the 1900 Mhz band that is needed for 3G on AT&T.

I did more research and I was wrong. It apparently does support 3g. That's what I love about technology, no matter how knowledgeable you are, there's always something new to learn.
    xdalaw likes this.

What if I do the opposite? I mean, what if I unlock an AT&T 520 and take it to T-Mobile? Would I lose any wireless bands?
  10. tgp

Global Posts
    2,828 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPhoney View Post
    What if I do the opposite? I mean, what if I unlock an AT&T 520 and take it to T-Mobile? Would I lose any wireless bands?
    Yes, I tried that too. Data on T-Mobile will be Edge, unless you happen to be in one of T-Mobile's refarmed areas.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    Yes, I tried that too. Data on T-Mobile will be Edge, unless you happen to be in one of T-Mobile's refarmed areas.
    Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5736

So if you live in a major city, you are in luck.

The speed imo is enough for me. When I use friends VZW LTE phones, I notice a difference but its meh to me... since im on wifi 97% of the time.

Ironically, EDGE isnt that slow for me either if you use Opera Mini/Nokia Xpress Browser for simple things.
    7 Mbits/sec, someone had posted screenshots in late 2012. If I can find that thread, I will post it here.