Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is going on with this 521 on MetroPCS ?
    they have taken down the link of the phone on their website, everytime I talk to a metropcs rep they have no knowledge about a Nokia Lumia 521 for Metropcs
    there is a link on BestBuy for the phone
    MetroPCS - Nokia Lumia 521 4G No-Contract Mobile Phone - White - 610214633262-R

with in store pick up but no stores have the phone in STOCK!!!!, I can't even buy the 521 at wall mart because its locked to TMobile...
    My Niece and Mother Inlaw have MetroPCS and HATE there android phone and want to get a new phone, I have been telling them wait... one is coming for you
    the date that it was soposta be released had come and gone and now they are both at the point to get another Android if they don't see something soon....
    PLEASE help me get them a 521 for MetroPCS....
    Does anyone in the forums have a MetroPCS 521 ?
    anyone know where I can get one ? and why is it not available yet ?

I was going to give her my old lumia 900 but they said its not supported as a unlocked phone for metropcs but the 920, 610 and a 910 that I had never heard of is supported.
    I think its bull crap if you tell me, I think the 900 will work but they so want her to buy another android.
    Help...

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    Wait, can't a T-Mobile 521 work with a MetroPCS SIM?? Double check but I believe it does.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Wait, can't a T-Mobile 521 work with a MetroPCS SIM?? Double check but I believe it does.
    I also think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by WPhoney View Post
    I also think it does.
    T-Mobile owns MetroPCS now, if I am not mistaken. The SIM should work.

I also thought people in other parts of the forums got the MetroPCS variant?

Metropcs will only except unlocked phones and from what I'm hearing is the phone sees the metropcs sim as another carrier other than mobile so it would need to be unlocked
    Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbyhome View Post
    Metropcs will only except unlocked phones and from what I'm hearing is the phone sees the metropcs sim as another carrier other than mobile so it would need to be unlocked
    True, but the 521 accepts T-Mobile SIMS, and if im not mistaken, MetroPCS SIMS should work, since its T-Mobile owned, and the 521 accepts T-Mobile MVNO SIMS already without unlock.

Ill google (or bing) it to see if I get anywhere on checking if im correct.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I show the MetroPCS L521 is in stock in Houston. I'm wondering if only the new MetroPCS areas (areas which are GSM only) have the phone available. I wouldn't be surprised if the older MetroPCS cities, where they have their CDMA network, are wanting to sell off their CDMA phones before selling GSM phones in those cities.

I'll agree with others, since the T-Mobile 521 will work on T-Mobile MVNOs, a MetroPCS SIM card should work in a T-Mobile 521. The one caveat -- it needs to be a SIM for the MetroPCS GSM (T-Mobile) network, not a SIM for the CDMA LTE phones (pre-merger MetroPCS network).

Ok so I'm going to WalMart and picking up a 521 and see if it will work with a metropcs phone.
    Now I have never used metropcs so they will just sell me a SIM alone ?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gibbyhome View Post
    Ok so I'm going to WalMart and picking up a 521
    Make sure that, in your area, MetroPCS uses GSM. If they do, it's very likely that their service is compatible with T-Mobile's.

I'm trying to find the same information about the Lumia 521 and Metro PCS. Would love to hear what happens!

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    If MetroPCS is in your area, you can get one of their GSM SIM cards, it is just that in some areas they also cell CDMA phones (based off the original MetroPCS network). The MetroPCS CDMA network appears as if it will be shut down in 2015. The GSM Sims are because of the T-Mobile merger and, anywhere that MetroPCS operates, you will be able to get service that is basically the same as T-Mobile's Prepaid. The difference, from what I can see, is that MetroPCS does not offer a $30 plan and that their other plans (unlimited talk and data with either .5 GB, 2.5 GB, or unlimited data) are $10 cheaper than equivalent T-Mobile plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    If MetroPCS is in your area, you can get one of their GSM SIM cards, it is just that in some areas they also cell CDMA phones (based off the original MetroPCS network). The MetroPCS CDMA network appears as if it will be shut down in 2015. The GSM Sims are because of the T-Mobile merger and, anywhere that MetroPCS operates, you will be able to get service that is basically the same as T-Mobile's Prepaid. The difference, from what I can see, is that MetroPCS does not offer a $30 plan and that their other plans (unlimited talk and data with either .5 GB, 2.5 GB, or unlimited data) are $10 cheaper than equivalent T-Mobile plan.
    Unlimited data with limited data? Did you perhaps mean text?

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Good catch, yes, is supposed to be unlimited talk and text, with the three different data options. Though, technically all of them are unlimited data, just that they are throttled after .5 or 2.5 GB (like on T-Mobile).

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521
    Yes. My PTEL sim worked in my 521.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    It's actually a reverse merger...T Mobile does not own MetroPCS..they are merged together. You can take the t mobile's lumia 521 to metro. I did this on Thursday and the device works perfectly fine. I already had service with metropcs so I only had to pay for my sim card and they popped it right into my device. Its been three days and I have no interruptions. I basically have tmobile service but i'm paying metro pcs price plan. unlimited talk and text plus my mobile hot spot.
    Thanked by:
    Corepc 

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Yes, T-Mobile did buy MetroPCS but MetroPCS will continue to exist as a separate brand -- even though it appears they will share T-Mobile's phones and network.

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camille rodney View Post
    You can take the t mobile's lumia 521 to metro. I did this on Thursday and the device works perfectly fine.
    Thanks, I thought that it would work has well. You did not have to unlock the phone correct. Just pop in the sim correct.
    TMobile Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - Prepaid Unlimited + 3gb Hotspot
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Retired Focus Flash (wp7.8 = 7.10.8862.14)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager
    WPCentralApp Beta Tester

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corepc View Post
    Thanks, I thought that it would work has well. You did not have to unlock the phone correct. Just pop in the sim correct.
    Yep that's correct. If you don't have service with metro then you might have to pay an activation fee plus your first month phone bill. The phone doesn't have to be unlocked because it comes unlocked. I bought my 521 from HSN and just took it in for a sim card.
    Andorid User Entering The World Of The Windows OS

I am so frustrated! Every time I call Metro PCS I get a different answer to the same question. I am in Los Angeles. It seems like several people here have been able to move from T-Mobile to Metro PCS. The only lumia 521 phones that I have found are locked T-Mobile phones (or AT&T). I just got off the phone with Metro PCS advanced technical support and they very clearly stated that they cannot move the locked GSM lumia from T-Mobile to Metro. They said that even though the two companies have merged, they will continue to operate as two separate companies and will not facilitate transfer of phones from one company to the other, so a locked lumia from T-Mobile will be treated like a locked phone from any other provider. Do the people here, who have successfully migrated to Metro from T-Mobile, have unlocked phones? If so, where did you buy it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by camille rodney View Post

Yep that's correct. If you don't have service with metro then you might have to pay an activation fee plus your first month phone bill. The phone doesn't have to be unlocked because it comes unlocked. I bought my 521 from HSN and just took it in for a sim card.
    Hi Camille, I just looked up the Lumia 521 on HSN and it is a 'No Contract' T-Mobile phone, not an unlocked phone. T-Mobile, Metro PCS and the Windows store I went into to look at an actual 521 told me that this phone is still locked to T-Mobile, you just are not required to have a 2 -year contact and can go month-to-month. I am not saying they are right, only that I can not seem to get a clear answer. It seems like many people here have been able to move to Metro PCS, but all three companies are telling me I cannot do this.
    Last edited by klester22; 08-19-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo that makes the sentance unclear.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    The trick is, you don't need MetroPCS to "transfer" the phone. What you need is a MetroPCS SIM card and to activate it, you can then put that into your Lumia 521 and it should work without issue. It looks like to get a MetroPCS SIM card, you need to get one from a local store. I think they'll care more about you starting a new MetroPCS plan than about your phone, they likely won't even ask as long as the SIM works.
    Thanked by:

If they make it too difficult, just sign-up with some other T-Mobile MVNO. I'm sure that many of them do not require unlocking!

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPhoney View Post
    If they make it too difficult, just sign-up with some other T-Mobile MVNO. I'm sure that many of them do not require unlocking!

Well, the phone will almost work with out unlocking.

You need it unlocked to change the APN settings for the MVNOs, which is what I found out with PTEL. With out changing the APN settings your MMS messages will not work, and internet may be wonky. I ended up swallowing the $50 and switching to T-Mobile because the Customer Service is way better than them (its only 10 dollars month a more for me).

PTEL had reasonable service, however I got alot of dropped calls with them (Could be the phone, I dont have the same issue on T-Mobile). Also they are in the middle of a CDMA to GSM conversion, and porting your number will take a while, along with trying to get in contact with customer service (Took me 3 hours!).

I've heard interesting things about Solavei, from the fact that your payments shrink when people sign up with them to the fact that they are supposedly scanners.

StraightTalk is mixed imo, never used them but Ive heard from friends the customer service is horrible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast