521 OEM Back cover

demontooth

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So what didn't you like? Did it turn out messy, gloppy, lumpy, runny?? or did you not like the look, feel, color?? I watched several videos and the trick looked to be many thin coats with complete drying in between. Some applications looked better than others so it must be practice makes perfect! :) I just switched off to my Note for awhile. The 521 is taking a rest. The battery life of the 521 is spoiling my use of my androids. lol. Less than a week and I'm back with my 521!

I touched it before it dried and messed it up. My OCD wouldn't allow me to leave it on and I wasn't able to fix it. I liked the way it looked and felt.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Reviving a slightly dead thread here but...

After visting 3 T-Mobile stores, the Chicago and Oakbrook Windows Stores with no luck of finding a new cover (it totally cracked)

I contacted Nokia today, and a free replacement will be sent out for me.

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Might want be careful with the "plastidip". The phone's buttons and little metal clips that hold the buttons in place seem pretty delicate and it's possible using plastidip might foul those up. Just saying, be careful...

I used Rit Dye on the back cover of my 521. It definitely works, but the color, well, didn't exactly come out to be the Navy Blue it was supposed to be. My first dye attempt it came out, well, a kind of lavender rose color. It wasn't an ugly color, just not what I was looking for. My wife said it was a nice "girley" color. Oyyyy.... That was after maybe 1/2 of soaking. So back to the dye pot, several times, comes out darker each time. I finally settled with a very dark, browish, purply color. Sound ugly, but it actually looks like dark leather. No kidding. Again, not at all the Dark Navy Blue I was hoping for, but at least not the girley lavender it started with.

But... just in case, I bought a replacement http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/300944778025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 from Ebay. It's fits the 521 perfectly, has the Nokia logo on it, arrived in about a week, and is a very good replacement back. The texture on it is not as slick as the original back, which I actually like better. That OEM back was a little too slippery to me...

Most would think that painting the case with Plastic-Dip would be the only option, I for one would have not thought of "dying" the case using Rit Dye.

(I bet T-Mo didn't think of it either, otherwise they would have made it a solid color vs white. They probably picked white as it over time is going to discolor, to soak up oils and dirt.... To soak up coloring in the way the Rit Dye process is doing. Them doing this to either sell cases / replacement backs OR to use the 521 to get people "hooked" on the WP8 with a low cost phone then move them into a more expensive model. The thought process being the phone over time would get "dirty" looking and people would be thinking about a "new" phone, with them at that time moving into a higher rate plan to boot.)

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you mask the interior?

If it was a PAINT that added a extra "thickness" to the case, or or might interfere with the case "locking" in properly OR would be a source of the paint "Chipping" at the retaining clips section of the case if you used paint you would want to mask the area.

Since using Rit Dye is a Dye and your submerging the item in a solution there's really no viable (quick/cheap, etc) foolproof way to "mask" the interior, AND masking the interior isn't needed... as it will not add any extra thickness, or interfere with the retaining clips.

That and why would it make a difference if the interior got dyed. If anything you'd want the color on both sides.

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Reviving a slightly dead thread here but...

After visting 3 T-Mobile stores, the Chicago and Oakbrook Windows Stores with no luck of finding a new cover (it totally cracked)

I contacted Nokia today, and a free replacement will be sent out for me.

How did it crack, Where did it crack...

Dropped?... What did you tell Nokia? (I would think damage due to dropping the product wouldn't be covered technically.)

Related, did you have to send them proof of purchase, pics of the damage back, your first born child, pay return shipping or have to send item back?

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
How did it crack, Where did it crack...

Dropped?... What did you tell Nokia? (I would think damage due to dropping the product wouldn't be covered technically.)

Related, did you have to send them proof of purchase, pics of the damage back, your first born child, pay return shipping or have to send item back?

I did drop it , it cracked in the corner. I made it clear however that I couldn't find it at mobile, the windows stores, etc.chat support asked if I looked on amazon, said it wasn't there.it was then they offered the free onetime replacement.

Nope, don't have to send it in, jjusr provides them with imei,mailing address, email and phone.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Also, noticed in the Oakbrook store that the 520 feels lighter than the 521... But the bateery on the 521 lasts slightly longer.. Hmmm

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Also, noticed in the Oakbrook store that the 520 feels lighter than the 521... But the bateery on the 521 lasts slightly longer.. Hmmm

According to Nokia the 520 is only .5 of a GRAM lighter.
(1/2 of a gram isn't much last time I checked and to measure such you'd need a scale when you have one item that is 124 grams, the other 124.5)

If I had to guess I'd say the extra 4.1mm of length of the 521 would be more noticeable to 99.9999999% of people.

Nokia Lumia 520 - Affordable Windows Phone with Dual Core Processor - Nokia - USA

Height: 119.9 mm
Width: 64.0 mm
Thickness: 9.9 mm
Weight: 124.0 g

Nokia Lumia 521 - Affordable Windows Phone with Dual Core Processor - Nokia - USA

Height: 124.0 mm
Width: 64.0 mm
Thickness: 9.9 mm
Weight: 124.5 g

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Update-

Tuesday night I came home to a UPS Airfrieght package from San Antonio. Guess what it was ;)

Suprised that it came from Texas, and so fast too.

I'm now going caseless atm, evaluating if its better or not. The case actually snaps on correctly now. Noticed the buttons are slightly harder to push at times though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon