Need to update again if hard reset after amber?

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Already updated to amber /gdr2 while still locked to T-Mobile. If I do a hard reset now through settings, about, reset your phone, does the phone get to a state pre-amber or post-amber? Thanks,

Sent from my lumia 521 using Tapatalk

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Already updated to amber /gdr2 while still locked to T-Mobile. If I do a hard reset now through settings, about, reset your phone, does the phone get to a state pre-amber or post-amber? Thanks,

Sent from my lumia 521 using Tapatalk

No, Microsoft and nokia update flashes your rom(read only memory), so if you hard reset your phone, it will have amber after reset.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset will keep you on your current amber setup. If you want to roll back you'll have to find the rom for the previous version and flash the phone using ncs.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I recommend doing a hard reset. Everyone has their own opinion but I did it after updates on our Lumia 521 and HTC 8X and we had absolutely no bugs or problems with the update like some people reported. Our Lumia now works flawlessly; it was a little buggy before the update.

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree. After Amber my live tiles stopped updating and I was not getting store update notifications. They were random at best. I did a hard reset yesterday and everything is working fine now. Still had Amber after the update and did not have to do the update a second time. It's a pain to set up your home screen again and it took quite a while for all the apps to download. Even apps I had uninstalled auto-downloaded. Not sure how to prevent that in any future resets.

Arun Yadav

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset and Restoring your phone both are different. Hard reset means restore your phone to factory setting means u lost all software updates including with Amber also. But when you do only restore your phone it will erase your data and installed apps only and not effect your firmware.
I just did hard reset in the morning and after that I got to know all this.
Hard reset steps -
1. Turn the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, you will see an exclamation mark (!) on the screen.

Then press the keys in this exact order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down
The phone will reset and restart.

I did this and i lost all my software and firmware updates also, now I don't have any idea how to get firmware update when i lost it and tried all possible things and searches but nothing is helpful till yet!

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I did this and i lost all my software and firmware updates also, now I don't have any idea how to get firmware update when i lost it and tried all possible things and searches but nothing is helpful till yet!

Firmware could not have been rolled back by hard reset or restoring, just not possible, unless you flashed your phone with older ROM with NCS.

If you phone was successfully update to GDR2/Amber then your firmware should read settings->about->more info
OS Version should read 8.0.10328.78 and firmware revision 3046.0000.1328.2024. If you have that then you have GDR2/Amber.

You just need to most likely update all the individual Nokia System Apps (Extras, Access Point, Audio, Display,etc). Do not install Glance, does not work with 521.

download and install the SysAppPusher and manually install System Apps and Apps has needed. Once again do not install glance does not work with 521.

If the OS Version / Firmware do not read that, then use Wifi and use phone update to update phone. If does not work then you will need to use Nokia Care Suite or Nokia Software Update to flash to current version.

You will still have to run sysapp pusher and manually update the Nokia System App's and other Nokia Apps.

SysApp Pusher