My phone doesn't see the Wifi at my office

ncarty97

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
At my office, we have two WiFi networks, one for employees and one for guests. My 521 does not see either network though. My work iPhone sees them. My Surface Pro sees them. My old android phone saw them, but my 521 does not. It sees a bunch of other networks from other tenants in our building, but not our two.

It seems obvious to me that its something specific on our networks, but I have no idea what that might be. Any ideas?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since your Surface sees it, have you connected to it with the Surface? I haven't had a chance to try this, but I read a post somewhere that said that someone found that their Win8 device synced their WiFi settings in the cloud, and their phone picked it up. Worth a shot, right? :wink:

ncarty97

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
hopmedic,

The surface is connected. Hasn't synced yet, but I only connected the surface about an hour ago, so maybe it will.

photobriangray,

Yeah I tried that and it can't seem to find it even with that.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the obvious question would be: are you sure the SSIDs are not hidden? I know we used to have WiFi Networks with hidden SSIDs and while my phone and android tablet were not able to see them (hidden, durr) our company Laptops made by HP picked them up and showed their SSID.

A second idea: what exactly are the AP settings? Is it set to a/b/g/n or only a subset of these 802.11 standards? What channel are they using? Where are you located, what country is your phone from?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

ncarty97

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, sure they are not hidden. All the other devices I mentioned see them (I just set the surface up today on it and the SSIDs were there). The Surface is a personal item, so my company (which is small and probably not sophisticated enough to do it anyways) didn't do anything.

Not sure the settings on the AP, but I'll check with out IT guy. I'm in the US and my phone is from the US (as far as I know, bought it off an HSN special).

Lumiant

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Try a full reset of the phone/ update the firmware. That did the trick for a friends 521 i fixed up and a couple others

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99