Battery Capacity

kiran_kumar_1991

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Am I the only one who feels that Lumia 620's battery capacity is very less? It has only 1300 mAh battery. Where as HTC 8S has 400 mAh more and reviews for HTC 8S are stating that it lasts only for a day. With all the news about battery drains in other WP8 devices, I am worrying that 620 might not even last for a day with moderate usage. This factor is pulling me towards 8S. But, Lumia 620 seems to be a better device than 8S in every other aspect.

What do you people think?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As the 620 does have a removable battery, this is a very much solvable issue. Nokia had to make cuts somewhere to keep the price low. They chose battery capacity and wireless charging, as well as a reduced quality camera. Personally, I think it's better than the 8S, but TETO.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If the 620's shell is gonna be as hard as the 820's to remove, I don't think you will want to be changing the battery almost everyday. I've broken my nails every single time I attempt to take my 820 shell out. I simply gave up and went for the portable charger option rather than an alternate battery.

I think Nokia still beats HTC software-wise. HTC has to tend to WP8 and Android, while all of Nokia's efforts are going to WP8. They don't also churn out new phones like there's no tomorrow.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the Nokia Lumia 820 myself. I will be planning to change the battery every day as I do a *****load of tethering. So I need the extra battery. Although the 920 is becoming much more appealing. I shall see what the Surface Phone looks like though.

kiran_kumar_1991

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I read in few articles that Lumia 620's back cover is stiff and little tricky to remove. I think I'll wait for it's release to know about it's battery performance.

objektor

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyone who uses an external usb-batterypack ( new trent f.e.). As an emergency this looks like a good solution to me. You get about 5000mA for about $30. This means almost 4 times the capacity of the Lumia 620. Hot 'swap' possible! It weights about 180grams. And you can use it for other devices (Lumia 920 ;-) ). Ofcourse being connected to the usb-cable while using your phone is a disadvantage but compared to not be able to use your dead-battery phone, well, it's a great advantage! I might even prefer this solution. I can always give it some charge, on the road, when I'm not using the phone so it's charged when I need it. Anyway, the removable battery and the capacity were big issues for me but this might be an acceptable solution/compromise. Any experiences out there?

kymikai

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I was skeptical as well for the small battery, but now that I have the 620 for a few days, I can say that it is no worse than my old phones, galaxy s2, note, iPhone 5. In fact on a day I did not have many whatsapp messages, it lasts the whole day without problem. I don't have the 820 to compare with, but the back cover can be removed quite easily without breaking any finger nails. Cheers

claps

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I own one: the back cover is very easy to remove, yet solid, but yep the battery life is crappy. One day with Whatsapp always on but don't expect much more.
Plus it is a bit slow to charge.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree that the back cover is quite tricky to remove but after some time it can be quite easy as you get used to it. The most out of the battery that I can get is around 15 hours with mixed use condition... I don't have the on-board data connection on, use WiFi instead...

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
If the 620's shell is gonna be as hard as the 820's to remove, I don't think you will want to be changing the battery almost everyday. I've broken my nails every single time I attempt to take my 820 shell out. I simply gave up and went for the portable charger option rather than an alternate battery.

I think Nokia still beats HTC software-wise. HTC has to tend to WP8 and Android, while all of Nokia's efforts are going to WP8. They don't also churn out new phones like there's no tomorrow.

The shell is pretty easy to remove on the 620. It takes practice to make it work though. I got a second battery for my Samsung Focus (phone my 620 is replacing) and it was difficult to get the back off that one as well. I was all up to get the HTC 8S and then found the 620. The forward facing camera was the deal breaker for the 8S. Also that they said they wouldn't sell it in the US.

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree that the back cover is quite tricky to remove but after some time it can be quite easy as you get used to it. The most out of the battery that I can get is around 15 hours with mixed use condition... I don't have the on-board data connection on, use WiFi instead...

When I first got the phone, I didn't have a SIM card that would fit (Samsung Focus has a large SIM and the 620 has a mini SIM). I used WiFi for everything. The battery time on WiFi was much lower than that with it powered off. It's a great phone. I would recommend it.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
When I first got the phone, I didn't have a SIM card that would fit (Samsung Focus has a large SIM and the 620 has a mini SIM).

The Lumia 620 has a microSIM and you can actually cut your sim on your own, although it is a little bit tricky. I did not have the guts to cut it on my own so I send it to a local phone store to do it for me. It is just the way that new phones are going to use microSIM and nanoSIM in the future while miniSIM will just obsolete..

Overall, the Lumia 620, despite its small battery capacity it still is a great device and highly recommended!

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
It is quite pointless to compare battery sizes if screen size is different. This should have pretty much same battery performance as Lumia 800 so not great, but not bad. Average "smartphone" performance I would say.

Most important thing should be solving the battery drain issues. It doesn't matter how big your battery is if there are "bugs" or glitches that start eating the battery.

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 620 has a microSIM and you can actually cut your sim on your own, although it is a little bit tricky. I did not have the guts to cut it on my own so I send it to a local phone store to do it for me. It is just the way that new phones are going to use microSIM and nanoSIM in the future while miniSIM will just obsolete..

Overall, the Lumia 620, despite its small battery capacity it still is a great device and highly recommended!

I wanted to cut it, but it's not as easy as it looks. You can buy a cutter for $5.99, but it seemed wasteful. Just went to AT&T store and got a new SIM. It was free.

Called Customer Service and was up and running in about 20 minutes.

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I actually cut my original sim card without a cuttor or anything. I downlaoded a PDF that you could print out so you could draw cutting lines on you sim card to cut. It worked though :D.

The day after I noticed that there was a micro sim along with my new phone -.-. Was kinda frustrating...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon