Lumia 620 in US, couple questions

Ian Malerich

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So I'm looking to get my first windows phone, loving windows 8 on my laptop, but I wanted a cheaper phone to get unlocked, as it'll be used mostly for the internet and social uses.

So I'm looking to buy the Lumia 620, as the title says, I live in the US, and found an unlocked version of the phone on expansys-usa ( Nokia Lumia 620 Windows Phone Yellow (Unlocked) #620-YLW - Expansys USA ), I love the yellow one so I'm looking at that. So first question is, is this the best place to buy it for the US, or would you recommend another?

Ok next thing and my primary question was what networks I could expect this to work on in the US (that offers anmonthly no contract service for unlocked services) from plans I've explored T-Mobile offers some nice ones, so would this phone on that network (or could you point me in the general direction to find that out for myself) if not, what networks would support my needs?

Thanks to any replies any advance, getting excited for this. :D

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about 620, but their other phones are way overpriced, ie unlocked 920 is staggering $750. I would assume the 620 is overpriced too.

Ian Malerich

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
the site I have linked has it listed at $290, gsmnation has it for $309 (it was $299 last time I checked there so I guess they changed it) those are the only two I've found in the US, I believe the rumored price was $250, so not too bad, T-Mobile's site had nothing on the 620, but said the 710 was compatible, which has the same network requirements as the 620 from the tech specs that i looked at, I'm just wanting to make sure it'll work on one of the networks we have here before I buy a $300 phone, anyway do you know of any other sites I might be able to find the 620 at for less (including shipping etc)

Last edited:

jesgdev

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one from expansas-usa, black model, best price I could find. I plan to put it on T-Mobile USA, the $50 monthly 4g plan. It will work, but if you want/need the fastest speeds, the best I will see is 3G(no 4G LTE), and that depends on if T-Mobile has re-farmed the 1900mhz band in your area(I'm in Bellevue, WA). Look it up, they most likely have or will very soon.

Ian Malerich

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
3G will also work just fine for the needs I outlined in my original post (social and web browsing, mostly news/humor sites), thanks for the replies though, think I'll look a bit more into T-mobiles coverage of my area, and if it's satisfactory enough I'll be purchasing this phone pretty soon :)

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Would the lumia 620 work with at&t or straight talk with an at&t sim?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Yes the 620 supports AT&T Bands 3g/HSPA only..so it will work Net10/Straight AT&T Sim..

T-Mobile will only get edge speeds out of Box unless in reframed area then 3g speeds..

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, for $150 more (with a free charging plate included), it's worth trying to buy a Lumia 920 direct from AT&T if you're just going to go on Straight Talk.

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, for $150 more (with a free charging plate included), it's worth trying to buy a Lumia 920 direct from AT&T if you're just going to go on Straight Talk.

The 920 is a different experience. I went and looked at the 8X and the 920 and they are way too big for a phone IMHO. I have the GSMNation $299 unlocked phone working on AT&T. Not sure exactly what "Straight Talk" is, but I can't imagine it wouldn't work unless it's an app (or requires specific account settings).

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk is in essence a reseller of AT&T service (it's not that simple in practice). You pay $45 a month for unlimited (2gb soft data cap) everything and you can buy the SIM online. You can also port your AT&T number over to them. It is well documented in these forums how to get it working and on Windows Phone 8 (920 here) it was VERY easy.

MUCH cheaper if you own the device outright.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk is in essence a reseller of AT&T service (it's not that simple in practice). You pay $45 a month for unlimited (2gb soft data cap) everything and you can buy the SIM online. You can also port your AT&T number over to them. It is well documented in these forums how to get it working and on Windows Phone 8 (920 here) it was VERY easy.

MUCH cheaper if you own the device outright.

I thought its a 3 GB cap. I go over 2.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire