Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Hi there,

    I have a Lumia 620 bought on the O2 PAYG deal although I'd like to use it on Vodafone. I've requested an unlock code from O2 (by using my wife's Pay Monthly credentials). I need to wait 7 days to see if this definitely comes through but I'd also like to know if a firmware flash using the 'Nokia Care Suite' would unlock the phone i.e. if I utilised the following firmware: 059R4F2 - RM-846 VAR EU EURO1 GB VODAFONE, could I simply then pop in a Vodafone SIM and off I go??

    If the firmware update does also unlock, is there a better generic fw to utilise i.e. the one that would ship on Carphone Warehouse phones?

    Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. CuratedGaming's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I'd be keen to know the answer to this as well.
  3. Ganondolf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    No I dont think so. although i have not tested changing a firmware with a nokia phone. I have done it in the past with sony and htc and it does not work.

    The sim lock protection is separate to the firmware.
  4. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Ok, by that same token - IF I do receive an official unlock code from O2, should the phone remain unlocked if I do decide to change the firmware for generic branding?
  5. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wawilkinson View Post
    Ok, by that same token - IF I do receive an official unlock code from O2, should the phone remain unlocked if I do decide to change the firmware for generic branding?
    Yes.
  6. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Ok great, lets hope O2 send that unlock code across...!!
  7. mattpat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Indeed, I successfully unlocked mine with a code from O2 (after lending the phone to my partner for a few days who has O2 contract so that I could obtain the code for free). I then I flashed it with the more generic CV GB ROM to get rid of all the O2 crap, and I didn't have to re-enter such code after doing so, remained unlocked. Woop!
  8. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpat View Post
    Indeed, I successfully unlocked mine with a code from O2 (after lending the phone to my partner for a few days who has O2 contract so that I could obtain the code for free). I then I flashed it with the more generic CV GB ROM to get rid of all the O2 crap, and I didn't have to re-enter such code after doing so, remained unlocked. Woop!
    Great feedback 'mattpat' and exactly the sort of knowledge I was looking for...have you got the firmware code/description?
    Was it: '059R4F2 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' or similar?

    Thanks!
  9. mattpat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wawilkinson View Post
    Great feedback 'mattpat' and exactly the sort of knowledge I was looking for...have you got the firmware code/description?
    Was it: '059R4F2 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' or similar?

    Thanks!
    Yes, exactly that revision [edit: I mean no, not that revision!] My phone is product code 059R788 (O2 simlock), but I flashed it with firmware for product code 059R4G7, which I think is the code that would be given on a generic phone bought offline in the UK. The latest firmware that I could see on NaviFirm for this product is the one you quoted and the one I used:

    1030.5603.1304.2 CV GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7)

    I had to hit 'clear local cache' on navifirm for it to show up the new lines.

    Also note, I suggest using the special version 2012.45.4.5 of the Nokia Care Suite for the update. I tried a 2013 revision and found that it disallowed 'downgrading' to an older firmware revision (which I needed to do after I'd been messing with Vodafone firmware!), as well as having some other restrictions. It also took me a while to work out that I had to hold down the volume up key after the usual power/volume-down reset in order to get the phone into flash mode. You probably know all this but perhaps worth saying for the benefit of others.
    Last edited by mattpat; 02-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
  10. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpat View Post
    Yes, exactly that revision. My phone is product code 059R788 (O2 simlock), but I flashed it with firmware for product code 059R4G7, which I think is the code that would be given on a generic phone bought offline in the UK. The latest firmware that I could see on NaviFirm for this product is the one you quoted and the one I used:

    1030.5603.1304.2 CV GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7)

    I had to hit 'clear local cache' on navifirm for it to show up the new lines.

    Also note, I suggest using the special version 2012.45.4.5 of the Nokia Care Suite for the update. I tried a 2013 revision and found that it disallowed 'downgrading' to an older firmware revision (which I needed to do after I'd been messing with Vodafone firmware!), as well as having some other restrictions. It also took me a while to work out that I had to hold down the volume up key after the usual power/volume-down reset in order to get the phone into flash mode. You probably know all this but perhaps worth saying for the benefit of others.
    Thanks, still a little confused as you mentioned you flashed with the same firmware I stated (059R4F2) but then listed another (059R4G7)...??

    I've received my unlock code - they quoted up to 10 days and in reality it took about 3 days - and the phone is now unlocked and working on Vodafone!

    I will flash the firmware to a generic one, but just want to be sure I get the right one and moreover, don't brick the phone!! I am using the version of the Nokia Care Suite you mentioned (2012.45.4.5) and I take it that you also get a child like drawing of the phone when you select RM-846, rather than an actual image of the Lumia 620??
  11. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Sorry...just realised I copied the wrong firmware code for that description...I copied the Vodafone code (059R4F2), whereas the generic version is 059R4G7...!! ;-)
  12. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Update - Just flashed my O2 Lumia 620 and now I have a fully unlocked, generically branded Nokia Lumia 620..!!

    Hadn't flashed a Nokia phone for a very long time...very easy and very quick!!

    Windows Phone backup saved my settings and restored them perfectly too!!
  13. nogsx3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I've unlocked my 02 Lumia 620, got NCS special edition 2012.45.4.5 and download firmware "059R4G7"

    Can you advise how to flash this version of firmware ? I can options in NCS I'm new to Windows Mobile and don't want to brick the phone so a little advise please. I've seen guides online for other Nokai Lumia but they aren't clear and might not apply to the 620. TIA
  14. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nogsx3 View Post
    I've unlocked my 02 Lumia 620, got NCS special edition 2012.45.4.5 and download firmware "059R4G7"

    Can you advise how to flash this version of firmware ? I can options in NCS I'm new to Windows Mobile and don't want to brick the phone so a little advise please. I've seen guides online for other Nokai Lumia but they aren't clear and might not apply to the 620. TIA
    Just follow this 'tutorial' but substitute the Lumia 920 (RM-821) with Lumia 620 (RM-846);

    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...n-install.html

    You can use the visual instructions here;

    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a03ce...C02E707%211740

    As ever - you flash firmwares etc entirely at your own risk!!
  15. mattpat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I found the video on the following tutorial to be a good one, as the flash process for the 620 is near identical and it also shows the timing of putting the phone in flash mode while clicking on 'recovery' etc, which worked for me...

    Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central

    > wawilkinson, yes, the 620 comes up with a child-like drawing of a phone on that 2012.45.4.5 version of the suite (clearly didn't know what it looked like at the time!). And yeah sorry about the revision confusion earlier, it's certainly 059R4G7 that you want. I'd actually also tried the Vodafone one you mentioned in a failed attempt to get my sim to work in it before I went through the proper method of getting in sim-unlocked!
  16. Petr Duda's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Hello,

    I'm new user W8 and I want unlock my Lumia 620 from O2. I got fw GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7) to my phone and now I haven't any software from O2 etc. But when I put Orange SIM Card, so phone say: "This SIM card can only be used on specific networks. Contact your customer service centre for the unlock code." and I have to add PIN.

    So where is problem? Can you help me please? Thank you.
  17. iainmann's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Petr Duda View Post
    Hello,

    I'm new user W8 and I want unlock my Lumia 620 from O2. I got fw GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7) to my phone and now I haven't any software from O2 etc. But when I put Orange SIM Card, so phone say: "This SIM card can only be used on specific networks. Contact your customer service centre for the unlock code." and I have to add PIN.

    So where is problem? Can you help me please? Thank you.
    I'm afraid debranding your phone...flashing it with unbranded software...won't network unlock it.
  18. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #18  
    Correct, you need to unlock the phone whether you change the firmware or not...
    If you have a good friend on an O2 account you can try and use their details, but you will need security details etc, otherwise it's a case of using a 3rd party but when I looked at this I found they either couldn't do it at all - presumably because the phone is so new - or they would charge a lot...!!
  19. scruffty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I have edited my previous post - I have got a bit further now after a reboot of the PC...
    I have another query if someone could help please? am in boot loader mode with the O2 splash screen and I have the message:
    Recovery:
    "You have chosen not assigned product code for this device. do you wish to continue"
    Do I?!
    Thank you
    Last edited by scruffty; 02-26-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: changed!
  20. mattpat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffty View Post
    Recovery:
    "You have chosen not assigned product code for this device. do you wish to continue"
    Do I?!
    Thank you
    Yep :) It's just applying a check to ensure the device's product code (written under battery) matches the firmware you're putting on it, which it won't because a 620 on O2 have their own code that differs from the product code of generic offline phones. So long as it's 620 firmware then you should be fine.
  21. scruffty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    thank you!!! shall I be brave?! will it affect updates in the future if you use a generic rom?
    The rom is 059R4G7 which is listed above...thank you!!
    it worked! it feels good to have a clean phone!!!!!! thanks mattpat!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by scruffty; 02-26-2013 at 06:27 AM.
  22. Zenec's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Anyone with an o2 contract willing to help me out and unlock my phone? I'd happily paypal you 5 for your time and effort :)
  23. Konstantinos Michail's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenec View Post
    Anyone with an o2 contract willing to help me out and unlock my phone? I'd happily paypal you 5 for your time and effort :)
    i do not think that will work. i believe that the sim card must be in the phone that will be unlocked at least 24 hours in order to be registered. However, does anyone know if going with a simplicity contract (30 days contract) will get the O2 to give an unlock code? Has anyone tried that?
  24. wawilkinson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #24  
    Worked for me, I used my wife's iPhone contract and her SIM didn't go anywhere near the Lumia (or vice versa)...
    It may be a little hit and miss, but I would try over chat and even if you fail first time, try again the next day!

    If you've bought the phone as PAYG, just don't mention PAYG (there is a 12-month period before they will unlock in that case) i.e. say something like "I'd like to unlock my new Lumia 620 please" They'll ask you for your (the existing O2 contract) phone number and then the IMEI of the Lumia 620...Then come the security questions, things like full name and certain digits of the security code linked to the existing O2 contract...

    Like I say, not guaranteed and it may fail...but worth a few tries at least... ;o)
  25. scruffty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos Michail View Post
    i believe that the sim card must be in the phone that will be unlocked at least 24 hours in order to be registered.
    correct!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
  2. Expected price of Lumia 620 ??
    By Raghav77 in forum Nokia Lumia 620
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM
  3. Unboxing of the Nokia Lumia 620 and a brief look into the device
    By TheLuminis620 in forum Nokia Lumia 620
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 04:56 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

";