Lumia 620 - Play to app

Charlie55

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if this app ( "Play To" - Play To app now Available for Nokia Lumia users, DLNA streaming made easy | Technoodling ) is available for the Lumia 620 and if so how I get it?

On my phone, I can't manually find it in the store, and if I scan the QR code in the above link I'm told its not available, and more info says "I need a S/W update, or the app is exclusive to a different provider, or its not available in my country" (UK).

Is it available in the UK for the 620?

If not, are there any other DLNA apps that will let me show my pictures or videos on my DLNA TV set?

Thanks

Also - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/play-to/2323aea2-6fd8-4593-8d6c-6e8f17eb0821

Last edited:

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Due to be released very soon, probably will be announced at Mobile Congress show next week
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Foroplex

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Should be available through Nokia Betalabs. Also for Lumia 620

[h=2]Requirements:[/h]Play To application will require following firmware or greater in order to work:

• Nokia Lumia 920 - PR1.1 (1232.5951.1249.0001)
  • Nokia Lumia 820 - PR1.1 (1232.5951.1249.0001)
  • Nokia Lumia 822 - PR1.1
  • Nokia Lumia 810 - PR1.1
  • Nokia Lumia 620 - Any firmware

Charlie55

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I've given it a try out now.

Play to, seems to do what I want i.e. by setting it up (easy enough) I can connect my phone to my TV via my network and show the pictures on the TV. That worked a treat. However, when I went to play video, although I had sound and video it was like a slide show and not smooth at all.

I'm connecting wirelessly ( the router reports 39Mbps) from the phone to the router, and then via some highspeed internet 'power cable' links from the router to the TV. According to the router these devices connect at 100Mb. This 'power cable' set up works OK to watch HD video from things like BBC iPlayer just fine.

Any ideas what/where I need to check to get smooth video from the phone?

Has anyone tried this beta app on their Lumia 620s, if so did video work?

Thanks.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I streamed a video from my Lumia 620 to my DLNA Capable LG Smart TV, and video was showed nice and smoothly. TV is connected to the network via LAN cable, and phone was streaming via 54 Mbps Wi-fi.
Although I'm not sure about the quality of that video clip. I think it was below HD. I didn't test streaming HD (or higher quality) videos via DLNA till now.

What was the resolution of video that you streamed? and what was the file type?

Charlie55

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

The TV I have is a Panasonic 2011 model with DLNA.
The phone is a 2 or 3 week old Lumia 620
The router a BT Home hub 2b, set for b/g/n working (you can't pick 'n' by itself)

The TV is connected to the router via a 'power hub' LAN cable adapter, and the router claims this connection is 100Mbps
I cannot get the phone to connect at more than 39Mbps according to the router, even if the phone is standing right next too it.
My Netbook can connect at 54Mbps to the same router.
The videos were taken by the phone, and play smoothly on the phone. The phone has two settings 720p or WVGA. The 720p is worst but both stutter and neither are smooth.

Does the phone have hidden network settings I've yet to stumble upon? i.e I'm assuming its a true 'n' connection but how do you prove it is? I'd have thought 39Mbps was low for an 'n' connection right next to the router?

I suspect I have a fault somewhere (maybe the phone?) but not sure where/how to locate it, TV, router or phone etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3