Nokia Lumia 620 last update Window Phone 8.1 ????

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
HeLLoooo! Friends,

I am not an expert but I wanna discuss about Nokia Lumia 620 last update.

Anyone has idea when WP 8.1 will release? Is Window Phone Blue actually Window Phone 8.1 ? :confused:
(According to some websites Microsoft will launch Window Phone Blue after Window Phone 8.1)

We know that Microsoft will support all current (X20) Lumia phone till mid of 2014. So, New Window Phone OS which will release in the last quarter of 2013, will be L620 last update.
I am not sure about this but Microsoft launch its new version in last quarter of every year.

What you guys think about this?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing written in stone... But in short this is how it will look:

WP8 (Current version)
WP8 GDR2 (General Distribution Release) - Some smaller fixes. Rumours are that support for FM-radio is coming among other things. Scheduled for a release during the summer sometime. Looks like more of a software-update/release.
WP8 GDR3 - Support for new hardware and resolutions (1080p and more chipsets (SoC)). Scheduled for release during the fall/Winter/holiday season. Hardware related update/release.
WP8 "Blue" - More tight unification between Windows RT/8, Xbox 720 and Windows Phone. Perhaps a unified marketplace and more syncability between the systems. Will probably not happen until Q2 2014. Kernel update.

Disclaimer: This is _ALL_ based on rumours and I doubt anybody except a small group of Microsofties know the truth.

Edit:
Oh, and I doubt any of the current phones will have EOL before any other WP. I believe they will all get the same patches.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
None of the upcoming updates change the public WP version number. GDR1 (portico) through GDR3 are all WP8.0.

WP Blue, expected for Q1 2014, is WP8.1. This is MS' nomenclature. Some websites and forum posters started calling GDR1 WP8.1 and were calling WP Blue WP8.5, which is where the confusion came from.

I also believe, but don't know for sure, that every current device will get the WP Blue update.

Nothing is known about WP9.

@Giddora
A quick correction: if we are getting new SoC support with GDR3, then already that version will come with a revised kernel. Assuming WP Blue sticks with that hardware spec, then WP Blue is very likely to use the exact same kernel as GDR3.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft say that it will end support of WP 7.8 and 8.0 by mid-2014? By then, WP 8.5 or whatever it will be, will be supported for additional time. They even said that the benefit of WP 8 is that is upgradeable. Therefore, current WP 8 phones may be updated to WP 9 when is released. Of course there is a lot of time until then.
https://twitter.com/windowsphone/status/313756557634580480

With that logic, every new version starts a fresh new cycle of upgradeability. Assuming we get at least one update every 18 months, we should all be able to update our current WP8 devices to WP17 ten years from now, right?

Obviously, that is false. There is a cut off point. The question is only when. WP Blue is a major new version of WP, despite being called 8.1. If every single current device gets that update, then I think we already did quite well.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft say that it will end support of WP 7.8 and 8.0 by mid-2014? By then, WP 8.5 or whatever it will be, will be supported for additional time. They even said that the benefit of WP 8 is that is upgradeable. Therefore, current WP 8 phones may be updated to WP 9 when is released. Of course there is a lot of time until then.
https://twitter.com/windowsphone/status/313756557634580480

Your comment sound too good but chances of happen this is very less. I doubt current Lumia series will get WP 9.

Personally I don't think this will happen. WP 8 needs lots improvements and I was thinking that Lumia will get WP 8.5 or something which will solve all problems. Simply say I had too much hopes in WP future updates.(that is why I purchase Window Phone)
But after all new rumors, I am thinking that aren't we choose WP too early ? I mean WP is still not matured and some very basic features are still not available or say complicated.(say for example in IE - No Download Manager, No Home button, closing IE is little difficult and etc)
So, if we WP is still not up to the mark then their is nothing wrong that we expect more from Microsoft that every next update will be a big update not like 8.1.

I know it still too early to say something about this but still it look like this will in future
I hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
With that logic, every new version starts a fresh new cycle of upgradeability. Assuming we get at least one update every 18 months, we should all be able to update our current WP8 devices to WP17 ten years from now, right?

Obviously, that is false. There is a cut off point. The question is only when. WP Blue is a major new version of WP, despite being called 8.1. If every single current device gets that update, then I think we already did quite well.

I am not saying that we will get unlimited updates. There will be cut-off. Just like WP 7, WP 8 will be supported for enough time. WP 7 was released 3 years ago? It will be supported one more year! That is why I was saying 7.8 and 8.0. Your current phone will be supported enough time before you will want to get a new one. Also, WP 7 phones were not updated to 8 for different reasons. The 7.8 update was the best Microsoft could do.

Btw here is the same discussion: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/223083-microsoft-will-stop-supporting-windows-phone-7-8-8-0-after-18-months.html

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ That sounds more reasonable. I personally doubt current devices will get WP9. IMHO that is what your previous post suggests. At least that is what most people who use those arguments tend to think.

Theoretically we can't even say with certainty that every WP8 device will receive 8.1 (for one, because carriers also have a say in the matter), but based on MS vague comments, it does seem very likely. WP8.1 is itself still a year away at this point. I don't think anyone should be promising the next big update after that.

Assuming every WP8 device gets 8.1, then I agree we can all be satisfied with that. I agree that will have been a long enough support period.

Here is yet another thread on the issue.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
^ That sounds more reasonable. I personally doubt current devices will get WP9. IMHO that is what your previous post suggests. At least that is what most people who use those arguments tend to think.

Theoretically we can't even say with certainty that every WP8 device will receive 8.1 (for one, because carriers also have a say in the matter), but based on MS vague comments, it does seem very likely. WP8.1 is itself still a year away at this point. I don't think anyone should be promising the next big update after that.

Assuming every WP8 device gets 8.1, then I agree we can all be satisfied with that. I agree that will have been a long enough support period.

Here is yet another thread on the issue.

All current wp8 devices CAN be upgradable to the next version of the OS. So lets say you have the 620, it will be supported 18 months with software updates etc, 18 months is over and your phone gets wp9 or whatever it is called, it triggers another 18 or whatever months. Now that is assuming 620 gets the upgrade to the new version of the OS.

MS confirmed this, current wp8 phones can be upgraded to future OSs, what MS did not confirm is if the carrier will allow every wp8 phone to get the OS, so high end phones likely will get it, mid range most likely, low range, maybe.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1)
GDR2 is the next version of the OS, so yes, obviously WP8 devices CAN be upgraded to that.

2)
8.1 is the next big version. WP9 comes much later.

3)
I don't care what bloggers and tech sites think MS said. I care what MS actually did say. All MS committed to was a support period. Support does not mean automatic and free updates.

4)
Your assumptions are flawed, because if you were correct, and carriers were always to play along, we could all upgrade our L920s to WP17 ten years from now. We all know that won't happen, so it really should be obvious that you are ignoring something...

5)
We are repeating a discussion that has already been had. I provided a link in my previous post. I won't go into any more details here.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to make things clear. Nobody knows if current devices will be updated to WP 9. Surely any update that is 8.X will be available for current devices. I do not want to comment on the situation with the carriers whether they push the update or not. Microsoft will give the WP 8.X updates to all current devices as it did with WP 7 with the WP 7.X updates. If current devices will not be updated to WP 9 there will be a good reason for that as in the WP 7 to WP 8. For the time being, everyone here has bought his phone because he liked it as it is and not what it will be like in 2 years time so enjoy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos