Replace Lumia 800 with 620?

jauheliha666

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,
I got caught in the Lumia hype and now I'm thinking about replacing my 800 with a 620. I'm actually very content with mit 800, can easily manage to use it for two days without recharge, due to my habit of using the phone not too extensively. However, I really enjoy the looks of the 620 (green), and somehow reckon that replacing my 800 with a 620 would get me a huge improvement.
Can you guys help me evaluating pro's and con's of a change? Only things I'm not very happy about with my 800 is the rather "humble" vibration intensity, which sometimes makes me miss calls or messages when on mute and the fact that it runs 7.8. On the other hand it has a better camera (at least on paper, is there any difference in practice?) and I like the curved Gorilla Glas, which gives it a higher-quality appearance than the flat screen on the 620. Additionally, I'm really skeptical whether battery life of 620 phones can reach the battery life of 800 devices.

Selling my 800 and purchasing a 620 would cost me an affordable sum of about 60€, just so you know about economical terms.

I'm kind of torn apart by the decision :unhappysweat:, as I don't know whether a change would be "justified", so that's why I would like to hear your opinion on this matter.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I would also greatly appreciate any opinions from former 800 users who have changed to 620.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I like 620, but you may have an issue with battery, it definately wont last two days in my experience unless you are on battery saver constantly.

pbroy

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
PROs:
- Run apps faster
- Lots of WP8 only apps
- Nice camera with good low light abilities
- HAAC mics for recording videos with nice sound cancelation
- Screenshots
- Apps running in background (Skype, Viber.. etc)
- Sexy cases

CONs:
- Less battery life
- Some apps don't make it to WP8
- Screen scratches easily and has some resistance to finger swipes (buy a screen protector)
- Lime case is very slippery. It's like a bar of soap in your hands. :p

jauheliha666

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
dkp23 said:
I like 620, but you may have an issue with battery, it definately wont last two days in my experience unless you are on battery saver constantly.
PROs:
- Run apps faster
- Lots of WP8 only apps
- Nice camera with good low light abilities
- HAAC mics for recording videos with nice sound cancelation
- Screenshots
- Apps running in background (Skype, Viber.. etc)
- Sexy cases

CONs:
- Less battery life
- Some apps don't make it to WP8
- Screen scratches easily and has some resistance to finger swipes (buy a screen protector)
- Lime case is very slippery. It's like a bar of soap in your hands. :p

Thank your very much for your comparison of the two devices. When reading your cons it seems like some of the features that I'm currently happy about my 800 would go lost with the new device.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest replacing 800 with 620, lots of differences in extra features most notably camera, display and body size.
Unless of course you're carrying the 620 as secondary device.

Battery life really depends on usage though, when I first got it I can't let go of it but on some days when I only pick it up for messaging+calling+twitter, it lasts around 30 hours (I have 3 emails synced, 1 facebook+1 twitter in People, 1 twitter in Twitter app, whatsapp and Line)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same situation, but I went for it and got the 620. While I don't regret the decision there are some things that you should be aware of... the screen on the 800 is slightly better (blacks are most definitely blacker), but the screen on the 620 is still very good. The 620 is slightly SLOWER in most things, not enough to be an issue but noticeable, it is not faster as some others have said. In general use though, it's hardly any different, the times I notice it most is when I'm attaching files to emails, and when trying to play Bejewelled Live+ (the Nokia exclusive one). Bejewelled is significantly slower, so much so, that it's not really playable, and hence I've stopped playing it. That's the bad, the good is it's got the latest version of Windows Phone on it, so you won't feel left out when apps become available that are WP8 exclusives which seems to be happening more and more now. It also has a front facing camera and works well with Skype, though this does drain the battery somewhat. Battery life is ok, not as good as it was on my 800, but I get through a day of moderate use without any issues and don't need to put it on charge before going to bed (most of the time).

It does seem to have a couple of minor bugs that weren't there on WP7.8 - Occasionally the screen becomes unresponsive to any input, I think this is a software glitch rather than a fault with the screen itself, it has done this mostly when playing Alphajax, I place the first letter and then am unable to place any more, if I hit the lock-screen button to shut off the screen than wake it up again, it then carries on where I left off, this may be an issue with Alphajax, but I think I have had it happen elsewhere once or twice too. Not a deal breaker but small niggle. The signal strength was never a problem on my 800, but I do seem to get HSDPA+ coverage more often with the 620, otherwise it drops back to 3G. Never had any issues with the THREE network in the uk, generally pretty quick and very reliable, been with THREE for quite a few years now.

The ability of certain apps to manipulate the lock-screen in WP8 is nice, I have Amazing Weather HD which very frequently changes the backgroud as well as up to date info about the weather which is nice, small thing, but it's a nice touch.

The 620 also comes with the global version of Nokia/Here Drive+ Sat Nav, so you can download maps and use it OFFLINE (i.e. without racking up data charges) in any country, other models that feature the non-plus version of Drive only work in one country.

If you like WP7.8 on the 800, I would say you will probably like WP8 on the 620 just as much, maybe even a little bit more (mostly down to the lock-screen)... little things and all that... Though as mentioned, be aware that it is slightly slower overall, this may change when the OS and apps are updated to make better use of the dual core processor, but for the moment, it's just not quite as zippy for certain things.

Another plus for the 620 is that you don't have to use Zune to sync music etc. like you do with WP7.x devices.

The 620 also has the loudest speaker that I've ever heard on a mobile phone!

As for me, I would sum it up by saying the 800 is a quality device but sadly last gen, whereas the 620 is a budget offering but up to date, and almost as good and lots of fun at a sensible price.

Hope this helps, I was only going to type a couple of lines when I started.

Andy.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call the lack of Zune a plus, especially given the joke that's XBox Music and the WP sync app. It's the reason why I still have WP7.8's around.

jauheliha666

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Andy for the thorough comparison. I already purchased the 620 and today was the first time I used it properly. The last time I had it plugged in for recharge was 11 o'clock. I then turned on WiFi and downloaded all of my apps + maps for here drive, listened to some music and made 2 calls of about 2 mins duration. The remaining battery life is now 28% or 4 hours. This makes me a little bit nervous, as I would dislike having to charge the phone during the day. I would at least expect it to last a day and a night (somewhat around 24 hours). It would be a real disappointment, if the battery prohibits a proper use of the phone.

Hardware and software wise I can notice differences, but they are rather in favour of the 620 and WP8. I also noticed the lack of black on the 620 compared to the 800, however, I would not make this reason for keeping the 800.

Only thing I'm not yet overwhelmed by the 620 (as most of the reviewers on the net were) is, because I fear that the battery will not live up to my expectations. I might need a few charging cycles still to experience the full storage of the battery, as I've heard that batteries need a few charges, before they deliver their complete power.

Not having to use Zune puzzled me first. I still haven't figured out, how I can upload a single song to my phone instead of the complete album ?!?

Ultimately, I haven't sold my 800 yet, so there's still the opportunity to return the 620.

Last edited:

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
you can upload a single song using Windows Vista and up, plug it in via usb, your phone will show up on Windows Explorer, and you can then copy files to both internal and external storage.

alternatively you can unmount the sd card and use a card reader to copy files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills