Memory card not detecting on Lumia 620

Rajesh_Ag

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
bought lumia 620 few days back nd loving it so far.

there is this issue i wanted to discuss about phone not detecting memory card.

At 1st i tried using Transcend make 4Gb Class 4 sdhc memory card, this was not detected by phone.

next i tried sandisk ultra sdhc card 8 gb which again was not detected.

then i had a session with "nokia care online chat" and they advise to soft reset my phone using vol down and power key- it didnt work again.

Now before i go to nokia care store, i wondered if i cud use some help from you guys..

Thanks again guys for all the help i can get..

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to seat it properly? I had the same issue, but after re-seat it firmly and clicked down. It worked.
I'm using SanDisk Ultra 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1.

Rajesh_Ag

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Went through that several time. but no results.
anyways just wanted to confirm, do we need to create some specific folders like (pictures,videos, documents etc) on the memory card before we use it.. i was going through some articles on net came across this- reason being since wp8 doesnt have file explorer we have to place files into specific folders.

also came across a articles saying that wp8 requires windows certified memory card or the card has to be windows formatted before using..

tried both above said.. still no solution, :(

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16GB card in mine. I simply inserted the card (with the phone turned off). When I turned the phone on it notified my that a new SD card had been detected and asked if I wanted to store music and videos on the card by default - answering Yes sets the appropriate settings and creates the necessary directories.

So no, you don't need to manually create any directories on the card before use.

Not sure about Windows certified cards, but the Sandisk Ultra certainly works fine on my phone.

With the SD card inserted, what do you see when you go to Settings>Phone Storage? Is the SD card listed here? Also, are the memory cards you're using new, or have they been used before? If they've been used you should format them (FAT32) on a computer and try installing them again.

Kakes Kakes

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my device. The card was recognised by other phones but not by my 620. Tried soft reset and other stuff like formatting SD card with various formats.
Didnt work out. So, reported it to the vendor and got a replacement.

Rajesh_Ag

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16GB card in mine. I simply inserted the card (with the phone turned off). When I turned the phone on it notified my that a new SD card had been detected and asked if I wanted to store music and videos on the card by default - answering Yes sets the appropriate settings and creates the necessary directories.

So no, you don't need to manually create any directories on the card before use.

Not sure about Windows certified cards, but the Sandisk Ultra certainly works fine on my phone.

With the SD card inserted, what do you see when you go to Settings>Phone Storage? Is the SD card listed here? Also, are the memory cards you're using new, or have they been used before? If they've been used you should format them (FAT32) on a computer and try installing them again.

when SD card is inserted at the Setting>Phone storage, it says no memory card found, nd Sd card is not listed, also the memory card which i'm trying to use are old nd had been used before..
Wanted to check a new one but for that i have to buy a new memory card and it will be useless investment if my phone doesnt detect that one to.

while tried formating card with Fat32 and Ntse with all the possible combination with 'allocation size unit'. still not detecting..

I guess i've to go to vendor/nokia care store to get it repaired/replaced.

thanks again guys for ur input.. but do leave reply if you got any more info on the issues, I will update my solution once i get it..

thanks again..:)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
when SD card is inserted at the Setting>Phone storage, it says no memory card found, nd Sd card is not listed, also the memory card which i'm trying to use are old nd had been used before..

Wanted to check a new one but for that i have to buy a new memory card and it will be useless investment if my phone doesnt detect that one to.

while tried formating card with Fat32 and Ntse with all the possible combination with 'allocation size unit'. still not detecting..

Yes. Unfortunately it sounds like a phone issue. You could try resetting it to factory default settings (Settings>About>Reset Your Phone) and seeing if that helps. You will need to setup the phone again from scratch, but it might be worth a shot to see if it fixes the issue.

Do triple check that you have inserted the SD card correctly into the holder and that it clicks firmly in place. The first time I tried to do this with my phone it took me a few goes before I was able to get the SD card sitting correctly in the cradle.

Otherwise returning it for repair/replacement would seem to be your only option.

Floyd Downer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I was advised by Nokia care that the Nokia Lumia 620 uses branded micro SD cards class 10. I acted on that advise, went ahead and purchased that specific card as a Kingston 16 GB, and nothing, the phone is still not reading the card.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I was advised by Nokia care that the Nokia Lumia 620 uses branded micro SD cards class 10. I acted on that advise, went ahead and purchased that specific card as a Kingston 16 GB, and nothing, the phone is still not reading the card.

It's possible the phone is faulty. I would return it for a replacement. I've had a Kingston 8GB class 6 card in my daughters 620, which I later replaced with a Sandisk 16GB class 10 card. Both worked fine.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Format memory card and reset phone from "settings > about". And then try inserting the card and rebooting the device.That's all:wink:.

WARNING: Resetting the phone from "settings > about" will delete all your settings, personal data and downloaded apps and set the phone back to factory defaults.

@Raven Claw, you might want to give people a little more info when you're advising them to reset their phone. Also, the OP has tried several different cards, none of which were even detected as being inserted into the handset. So it would not be possible to format the card using the phone. If the problem is indeed a card formatting problem (such that formatting the card in via a PC would help), then resetting the phone would do nothing to fix it, so the advice to do a factory reset is wrong and would create a lot of unnecessary work. Resetting the phone may be a worthwhile troubleshooting step after all other avenues have been exhausted, but people need to be aware what will happen if they do go down that route.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you need a Class 10 card. People were complaining about this same problem in the Lumia 810 forum and it seemed they were fine when they switched to Class 10. Good luck!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I think you need a Class 10 card. People were complaining about this same problem in the Lumia 810 forum and it seemed they were fine when they switched to Class 10. Good luck!

My daughter's L620 currently has a 16GB Sandisk Class 6 card in it and it works fine. I have a Class 6 card in my L720, and that works fine as well. So I can't see why you would be required to use a Class 10 card in a device like the L620. It's not like the phone needs to do anything particularly ultra high speed with the memory card. HD video streaming should work fine with anything above a Class 4 card. And even if some functions needed high-speed transfer, it doesn't explain why the cards aren't recognised at all. The card reader can't tell what class the card is when you insert it. It would only be an issue when trying to read or write data to it faster than it could cope with.

Imaginee Penisees

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
i have a transcend ,memory card to 32gb class 10. i think the problem you have here is the memory card itself , i had 2 transcend memory card failure on my device(Lumia 720). the other failed just now. and im planning to buy my next memory card and switch brands to sandisk or g skills.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
If you have verified the SD card can be recognised in a PC or other Phone then you know the card is OK. Given you have done all the usual phone resets to no avail I would suggest the silly Nokia SD card carrier slidy thingy is at fault here.
I put an old 1GB SD card originaly used in my Win 6.1 Gloffish 'pocket PC' phone into my 620 and it took multiple tries before I could get it to seat properly with the lock slider in the correct position. The holder fell apart a couple of times as well but after much persistence I finaly managed to seat the card and get the phone to recognise the card.
Poor manufacturing detail like this from Nokia is why people move to other manufacturers of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte