Battery Percentage Issue

hsn97

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i was reading the thread about Lumia620 bad battery backup but to be honest the battery life has been good for me with moderate usage for a 1300mAh battery. I tried to test it by fully charging it then let it drain till 1% or so.. It gave me about 23hours but the problem i face with battery percentage is that the phone switches off afterr going down from 4% or so.. I use the "Battery" app for percentage which has a red icon and has good ratings on App Store and it also tells right battery percentage compared to the one in settings and both show the same. but ive noticed it two times that phone switches off below 4% (dont know accurate what % below 4). But atleast doesnt last till 1% as fas as i know. I switched from Android and it did't had as such issues. So is it normal with Windows Phones or something is wrong with mine?

Thanks

Saurabh Vatsa

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I never let my battery drain when it becomes less than 10% and i get a low battery message.... message clearly states that phone may get off anytime after battery is less than 10% .... and battery indicators r not always accurate.. so never let your phone drain below 10% ... complete draining can reduce battery life when done frequently..... :) :)

hsn97

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I never let my battery drain when it becomes less than 10% and i get a low battery message.... message clearly states that phone may get off anytime after battery is less than 10% .... and battery indicators r not always accurate.. so never let your phone drain below 10% ... complete draining can reduce battery life when done frequently..... :) :)
Yeah, i guess you are right.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
But atleast doesnt last till 1% as fas as i know. I switched from Android and it did't had as such issues. So is it normal with Windows Phones or something is wrong with mine?

The 620 has a Lithium Ion battery. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged - it shortens their life span. It is normal for phones with Lithium Ion (and Lithium Polymer) batteries to turn the phone off before the battery is fully drained. This protects the battery from damage. So when the phone is down somewhere below 10% you should put it on charge. Whether the cutoff percentage is 4% or 1% when the phone shuts down is immaterial. It needs a charge. Forcing the phone to go below its designed turnoff point will damage the battery.

In general Lithium Ion batteries like to operated with between 90% and 30% of charge. The best way to operate a phone with this sort of battery is to charge it often - don't wait until it turns itself off. If it's at 60% when you go to bed, still put it on charge. It is better to charge the phone more often than to let it discharge deeply.

BTW, the reason you didn't have the issue on Android is probably because the battery meter was artificially set to read 0 even though there was still charge in the battery. Just because the meter says 0% doesn't mean that's the actual charge in the battery (in fact it can't be because Li-ion batteries that are fully discharged in real terms cannot be recharged in the normal way - they need a special charger to 'kick start' them again).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers