GDR2 Amber Update ETA: South Africa

Oliver McDermott

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've recieved feedback from Nokia South Africa re: Amber Update Availability. Read below.

"Nokia Lumia Amber software release for Windows Phone 8 is shipping pre-loaded with Lumia 925 from launch and will be coming to the full Nokia Lumia range on Windows Phone 8. Rollout timings and feature availability vary by phone model, but wireless Over the Air (OTA) update is expected be rolling out during Q3 2013 following testing and operator approvals."

Cheers,
Oli

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new here. This reply is probably sent to anyone asking about the Amber update no matter what the region. It really just depends on the individual carrier.

Oliver McDermott

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, a most 'generic' response. I've since contacted Vodacom SA, hoping for a more relevant response (all in good spirits) - and they're expecting the update to be rolled-out December / Jan 2014.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
They have removed the amber update from the servers the same day it was leaked. Best bet is to search for a firmware on WPCentral threads and give it a shot

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Vodacom being VodacoN nothing new here. Busy manually flashing my 620. Was going to wait for the OTA update but definitely not waiting till Dec/Jan for it. GDR3 will be out by then and 8.1 on the way.

Oliver McDermott

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If you've enabled the data sense integration in IE - this is probably why. See extract from MS web-site about this feature:

"The Internet Explorer Mobile Data Sense setting is designed to help reduce your data usage by optimising (compressing) web content, like images, JavaScript and text. To do so, the web addresses (URLs) you browse (except when you're browsing via HTTPS) are sent to both the intended website ("origin site") and to the Microsoft Data Sense optimisation server. Based on the information returned from the origin site and the optimisation server, a decision is made about where to fetch the web content from to minimise data usage."

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you've enabled the data sense integration in IE - this is probably why. See extract from MS web-site about this feature:

"The Internet Explorer Mobile Data Sense setting is designed to help reduce your data usage by optimising (compressing) web content, like images, JavaScript and text. To do so, the web addresses (URLs) you browse (except when you're browsing via HTTPS) are sent to both the intended website ("origin site") and to the Microsoft Data Sense optimisation server. Based on the information returned from the origin site and the optimisation server, a decision is made about where to fetch the web content from to minimise data usage."

It's not only IE that's faster now, Twitter, FB and the Store also update much faster on EDGE than previously. Will toy around with the Data Sense settings to see if that affects the performance.

abudharr

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
hi guys

i have a nokia lumia 920 on the cell c network, i've downloaded the nokia retailer updater 3.0.8, but struggling to install it on my laptop and computer... it's giving me an error telling me something like i'm not authorize to install such software... something like that... i need help i want to manually install the update, can't wait to get my hands on the nokia pro cam... looks so good.

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hi guys

i have a nokia lumia 920 on the cell c network, i've downloaded the nokia retailer updater 3.0.8, but struggling to install it on my laptop and computer... it's giving me an error telling me something like i'm not authorize to install such software... something like that... i need help i want to manually install the update, can't wait to get my hands on the nokia pro cam... looks so good.

Vodacom and MTN 920s got OTA update tonight, give it a few more days.

Leigh Van den Berg

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I see that on Nokia website the update is available, but have not received any notification that I can update, nether does it pick up that there is a update when I go to Phone Update and check?

How did you update your MTN 920?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo