620 touchscreen unresponsive after recent nokia update?

Ashley Davies1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
A few months back I broke my phone's screen while walking uphill, having it smash on a rock after falling out of my pocket. I got it repaired at a stall in my local town (They did a shabby job of it though, and the antennae seems to be damaged since I barely ever have any signal) and since then it's worked acceptably. (Although it only ever seemed to recognise firmer presses or from my thumbs (I'm guessing it's thermal or something?)

However this morning I woke up and it wanted me to update it, bearing in mind that the update requires me to press the touchscreen to begin, so it was definitely working previously.

A few minutes later, the update finished and it booted onto a different wallpaper to usual. The buttons on the side still work fine; volume, wake up, etc, however the entire touchscreen is dead. It doesn't vibrate when I touch the windows/back/search buttons and it does not respond at all- not even the slightest, to presses or gestures.

Is this a hardware problem that coincidentally occured the same time as the update; or has the update broken my phone?

Any suggestions to repair this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Pulserider

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Maybe take it back to the place that repair it to maybe test another screen with your phone? Normally these kind of repair centers like to use compatible hardware that don't last long.

Haamernus

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I think it's due to the new Amber update. This update doesn't like anything but genuine digitizers.

The same thing has happened to me. It worked fine after I replaced the digitizer then I performed the update and now it's totally unresponsive. I am looking into flashing the rom to an older version. Perhaps it will kick in then.

Carl Edwards3

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's phone has the same problem. Someone on the official nokia forum told me that obviously the 3rd party digitizer I used for a repair a few weeks ago just happened to fail at the exact moment that the update was done... that's just, like, really likely isn't it...? Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Ashley Davies1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's phone has the same problem. Someone on the official nokia forum told me that obviously the 3rd party digitizer I used for a repair a few weeks ago just happened to fail at the exact moment that the update was done... that's just, like, really likely isn't it...? Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Were they a Nokia representative or just a random forumer?

Hope someone comes out with a solution for this soon; glad to know I'm not the only person :p

Carl Edwards3

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Were they a Nokia representative or just a random forumer?

Hope someone comes out with a solution for this soon; glad to know I'm not the only person :p

A random forumer with 21,000 posts or so. Was thoroughly unsympathetic - basically was taking the p*ss because I'd decided to save a few quid by replacing the screen myself instead of taking it to a nokia care place. Said there was no way that people could expect Nokia to ensure that the operating system would work with every 3rd party part out there. I'm currently having a very slow (updated every 4 hours or so) dialogue with nokiahelp via twitter.

pk808

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've the same problem as Ashley Davies1.
I had some online support from Nokia through Facebook: they advised to do a hard reset.
After I did: no response, they advised to sent the phone to the Nokia Online Repair Service because it is in it guaranty period.
Well, i'm afraid they don't except the guaranty, because I replaced the touchscreen after a nasty drop.
Anyone a successful solution yet? Or sent the phone to Nokia Online Repair Service?

DAAAAN

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Damn, same problem here....

New digitizer (cheap one, total repair cost me 9 euro) everything working fine -> updated it 30 mins ago and the touchscreen died....

How do we downgrade?

Carl Edwards3

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the middle of a conversation with nokia care on live chat. They're saying they've never heard of this before. The phones cannot be downgraded. The only thing is to take it to an official licensed repairer and let them diagnose it.

DAAAAN

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Aight, I solved it :love:!

Luckily I didn't trow out my previous (factory) digitizer. Although it had a huge crack, I was always able to use to bottom half of the screen. So I reopened my phone, hooked up the original digitizer and entered my PIN (which is entered on the bottom half) and backupped all my previous data to the PC.

Then I downloaded the original factory firmware ROM, which is;
Variant ID : 7159782251
Varian Name : RM-846 CV NL VAR261764 13040 001 Black v2 Default
Product Code : 059R872
Software Version : 1030.5603.1304.0002
(you can download it on http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html?ProductCode=059R872 , and yes it does have almost every language)

After that, follow the flash guide on http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-620/236382-manually-flash-gdr2-rom-lumia-620-a.html and use the above ROM instead of the Amber one used in the guide.

The amber update definitely ****s up non-official digitizers because it works like normal when you downgrade to the original version.

boylucifer

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Found this thread because I've got the same problem - can you tell me which file it is that I should be downloading as there seems to be a fair few of them there.

Ashley Davies1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
=( care suite doesn't pick up my phone- Guess I can't flash it without unlocking my phone (Correct me if I'm wrong which I probably am; worst part is I'm stuck in the setup option so I can't even unlock it even if the digitizer did work)
stuff nokia; going HTC or samsung next time, got to put up with a broken phone for a 1.5 yr longer contract

Edit:
nevermind; just read the flashing page correctly... Lumia 620 and RM-846 aren't listed in my Open Product list :'(

Edit2:
urgh I'm so impulsive; just looked and found an update page... Next time I should spend a little longer looking before posting ^_^

Edit3:
The update download servers are soooooo slow :'(

Last edited:

Ashley Davies1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Phone successfully flashing now =) Will post results of it afterwards.

Thanks DAAAAN :D

Edit:
Yep, working perfectly now. Definitely not a hardware problem. Thanks everyone

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Dont flash ur phone, use it dry screen and ur fingers so that it will not freeze..avoid sweaty fingers use cover not rubber.,,, leather or cotton

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb