Headphone jack on back cover? Bad idea...

Asharon Baltazar

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line, your abnormal behavior of constant stress/wear/snapping on/off the cover damaged/broke something. (Nokia surely tested for occasional/frequent removals and stuff since the battery is removable, but nowhere near the extent you said you would do.) I would recommend getting another cover, and maybe few more if you're going to continue with that habit.

You can't blame the phone's design entirely since you abused it.

And the Nokia Lumia 820 is designed for people with tension, huh? It snaps on like a charm and won't come off.
It's a flawed design and get over it.
And why are diagnosing my tension levels to "abnormal"? What are you a doctor?
Refer to my answer below.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't expect any, then I wouldn't have asked...

You're the one harping on about something you did, and blaming poor build quality for your abuse of equipment. Case closed. Nokia can't help it if your stress relief method is abusing equipment to the point it no longer functions as intended. YOU made the conscious decision to play with your phone in this manner. Therefore, the only person to blame, is YOU, NOT Nokia's build quality or methods.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ONE BIG EDIT: Nothing, nothing , (how can I emphasize this?!?) nothing has broken off! Maybe I should post pics?
And I didn't ask anyone to point fingers. I'm simply wondering if anyone has anything helpful (ideas) to say about tightening the cover to the phone. It's my fault but I didn't ask you what you think of it. Suddenly everyone became a f&cking judge. This is a "helpful" forum after all, right? And yes, I'm pissed about Nokia's design. They should have thought of the phone maybe falling or... there's a billion other scenarios that could loosen the cover. They should have either made it tight like the Nokia Lumia 820 or stick the headphone jack into the phone like the Nokia Lumia 520. Sometimes middle ground is good but not this time...

Nothing has to break off for something to not work properly. Since such a thing doesn't really happen/we don't really see it around here, theres a good chance you're breaking new ground here.
I'd still get a replacement cover, that'll probably be easiest. Perhaps you can examine the snaps that keep the cover on, maybe they're loose, or broken off entirely.

Billion... the only thing that will really loosen the cover is use. You "used" it a lot, I'd expect heavy use to be just a few times a day at most, but hey.

(I guess somewhere out there, someone is complaining how the 520 doesn't have the swappable headphone jack the 620 has after repeatedly jamming a paper clip in there, and talking about how its a design flaw.)

And the Nokia Lumia 820 is designed for people with tension, huh? It snaps on like a charm and won't come off.
It's a flawed design and get over it.
And why are diagnosing my tension levels to "abnormal"? What are you a doctor?
Refer to my answer below.

I can't speak for the 820, i haven't heard it being significantly tighter or not.
I'm not diagnosing your tension levels, I'm diagnosing your habit as abnormal. Your tension or stress or whatever isn't my concern, I'm just saying that constantly snapping the cover on and off as much as you do isn't exactly normal, and unfortunately the headphone jack happened to collateral damage.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'd say this thread has pretty much run its course now: problem was stated, suggestions were made. Result: either get a new one (and don't repeat the debacle), or invest in a phone where that won't be possible. Only two possible solutions.

Regosaki

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have found the same issue! To differ from your issues, I HAVEN'T fiddled with my phone, all I have done is use my phones media player as intended... Then after only a couple of months of normal use, it broke. Instead of replacing the case (which I intend to do next) I went out and bought some bluetooth headphones ( an expensive solution I know but they really came into their own in the gym).

I'm not judging you, my phone has been nothing but trouble since I got it.... First the OS went haywire and started forgetting the time, losing text messages etc (I had to reload the OS with some wonderful assistance from some lovely helpful chap on here) THEN my headphone socket broke, closely followed by the volume UP button on the side of my phone, add to this the "goldfish" type memory problem with my media player (it randomly forgets my music files) and you could say that this has been the WORST contract phone I have EVER had.

oh well hope you get it fixed (or replaced) soon.... I know for a cold fact that this will be the LAST Nokia product I purchase...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have found the same issue! To differ from your issues, I HAVEN'T fiddled with my phone, all I have done is use my phones media player as intended... Then after only a couple of months of normal use, it broke. Instead of replacing the case (which I intend to do next) I went out and bought some bluetooth headphones ( an expensive solution I know but they really came into their own in the gym).

I'm not judging you, my phone has been nothing but trouble since I got it.... First the OS went haywire and started forgetting the time, losing text messages etc (I had to reload the OS with some wonderful assistance from some lovely helpful chap on here) THEN my headphone socket broke, closely followed by the volume UP button on the side of my phone, add to this the "goldfish" type memory problem with my media player (it randomly forgets my music files) and you could say that this has been the WORST contract phone I have EVER had.

oh well hope you get it fixed (or replaced) soon.... I know for a cold fact that this will be the LAST Nokia product I purchase...

its obviously defective, tell me you have contacted support. if its under warranty im sure support will do something.

i say that because im surprised how many people try to live with an obviously malfunctioning phone and assume its normal.

Regosaki

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Still waiting for a response from my contract supplier after yet another calm and informative email, in the meantime my phone has wiped all my music files and pictures AGAIN and last night, for no apparent reason, it decided to alter all my phone settings without consulting me first? This is almost as annoying as when (mid-song) my phone advises me that loud music may damage my hearing and reduces the volume by 50%!!!!! Seriously.... Who thinks these things up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss