Lumia 620 is not recognised by Win 8.1 Laptop

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I just can't seem to find my Lumia 620 on my PC. I have no problems connecting my Lumia to my Laptop. It is being recognised and I can move data back and forth etc.
My PC however in the device manager lists only Nokia Lumia 620 (RM-846) marked with a yellow exclamation mark plus an unknown device also with a mark. It does not show at all in the file explorer.
I have tried to delete these entries hoping for automatic re-instalment of the relevant drivers but this did not work. I have also tried to use the Windows Phone desktop tool but I could not get it started. All this with various restarts and switching on/off-things.
I have tried to install the relevant drivers from various dubious internet sources but this proved to be to no avail.
How can I get this to work? I have had a couple of laptops on which my Lumia was instantly recognised.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the windows phone desktop app you used was for a different version of OS.I once used The same app but for the windows 7 for my Lumia 620.

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
There is also one thing that is possible. But its a long shot. Sometimes the port or cable your using to connect the phone to the PC is either incompatible or broken. I'm only saying this, because it happened to me once with some other device. Try using a different port on your PC.

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I am able to delete the device's driver from the device manager. Windows support then advises me to let the PC search for a driver in C:/Windows/Inf. However, on pointing the PC to this folder it informs that Nokia Lumia 620 (RM-846) could not be installed because the driver software could not be found.
As I have a Laptop with which the Phone connects seamlessly, could someone please inform me which files I do have to copy to my PC? Would copying C:/Windows/Inf be a good idea?

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
SERIOUSLY: Why can't there just be a page that lists all drivers and then you download your driver and then it works?
Why does MS make everything so difficult?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't make it difficult... it works fine for almosty everyone, just in rare cases you will encounter problems about it.
I found Windows Phone has problems running on those locked up work laptops, you know where you can't freely install drivers. but I am sure that's not your issue.
You said you have trouble with Nokia Lumia 620 (RM-846)?

well there are two kind of drivers installed for Windows Phone, have you tried removing USB composite device? that is the important one. also showing hidden devices and do that too.
you could also go to control panel, hardware and devices, and you can remove it there, it would do almost the same (if it appears there). I found that installing only the RM-xxx and removing those devices, wouldn't do much. I fixed WP that way, when it wasn't recognized by my sister's working laptop (which is hard to install most drivers on)

you should try something like that, I mean... the Windows will install the drivers fine, just sometimes it seems WP fails to be Smart enough and messed up. but it wouldnt be bad to be haunting drivers just to use the phone, I am glad Windows does it automatically.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey leopard, you just want to transfer data from your phone to your PC and vice versa, then why don't you use Bluetooth on the PC. And if your PC doesn't have a built-in Bluetooth you can use a USB Bluetooth dongle.

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You said you have trouble with Nokia Lumia 620 (RM-846)?
well there are two kind of drivers installed for Windows Phone, have you tried removing USB composite device? that is the important one. also showing hidden devices and do that too.
you could also go to control panel, hardware and devices, and you can remove it there, it would do almost the same (if it appears there). I found that installing only the RM-xxx and removing those devices, wouldn't do much. I fixed WP that way, when it wasn't recognized by my sister's working laptop (which is hard to install most drivers on).

I have tried and removed USB-composite in the control panel, first thing that happened was that my mouse stopped working. But indeed all three Nokia Lumia 620 (RM-846) entries disappeared. I removed only one USB-composite though because I needed an input device. I plugged in my Lumia after the Nokia Lumia entries had been removed and it said device is installing, this may take some minutes etc. but I ended up with exactly the same three entries again with a yellow excl mark and no entry at all in the file explorer...

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey leopard, you just want to transfer data from your phone to your PC and vice versa, then why don't you use Bluetooth on the PC. And if your PC doesn't have a built-in Bluetooth you can use a USB Bluetooth dongle.

Thanks for the suggestion but even BT has always had its flaws with me and I assume carrying over 25gb of music isn't what BT was really meant for. Well, maybe it's the only thing left for me.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but even BT has always had its flaws with me and I assume carrying over 25gb of music isn't what BT was really meant for. Well, maybe it's the only thing left for me.

Don't worry, you'll find a way.I know I always do ,when a certain app is not available for windows phone or it's some other issue.I find a way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention