Lumia 630 User Reviews

Commander Will

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I got the dual sim version two days ago and I'm just delighted to use the phone. This is my first WP phone (although I had WM before). Besides phone and messaging, I require e-mails and calendar. All the social apps, news etc. are welcome.
I have to say that the OS is running even better than I expected, all is fast and fluent, it doesn't matter if leave an app running or close it, returning to an app is just as fast. Thumbs up! As for the OS itself, I think it's the best idea to date from user perspective and I definitely love live tiles.

I had an Android dual sim phone before but not even 1GB of RAM and a dual core processor were as fast and fluent as this. Needless to say that an even older phone with less than 1GB RAM and a single core processor was just insufficient.

I'm further discovering the options and capabilities ... :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, it's time for my turn, then ;)

I ended up buying this phone for ₱7600. That's roughly $174, and that's a shade of the official SRP at ₱7990.
That's the first thing that struck me. Nokia is selling this for just a few hundred pesos more than the 520.

Then, the box was finally shown, and its contents displayed in front of my eyes.
Well, I never really thought I'd see such a halfhearted effort from Nokia/Microsoft, from the box at least. (Side note: The charger that came with my 630 is rated at 750 mA. The charger that came with my 620 is rated at 1300 mA, and isn't fixed to boot!)

Well, it's good to know that the phone is always better than the box it came in.
First off, build quality. It feels impressive. That's all I have to say. If you've owned a Lumia, you know what to experience.

The difference in speed or stability between this and a 620 is rather negligible. That said, I could say this of all WP devices. The differences really boil down to how quick the animations are on your respective OS version.
Now, the battery is mind-boggling from the perspective of a 620 owner. What can down my 620's battery in four hours takes twice as long to do so on my 630. Mind-boggling, I say.
The screen is great, though mine apparently doesn't handle whites well. The software keys/buttons aren't as bad as they sound, as well.

Well, since I did own a 620, there are a lot of things I missed out on by buying this. I miss Glance, and Double-tap-to-wake, and those are some major feature we're dealing with.
While the phone is better than the box it came in, it resembles the box too much, though at the end of the day, it gets the job done.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay, it's time for my turn, then ;)

I ended up buying this phone for ₱7600. That's roughly $174, and that's a shade of the official SRP at ₱7990.
That's the first thing that struck me. Nokia is selling this for just a few hundred pesos more than the 520.

Then, the box was finally shown, and its contents displayed in front of my eyes.
Well, I never really thought I'd see such a halfhearted effort from Nokia/Microsoft, from the box at least. (Side note: The charger that came with my 630 is rated at 750 mA. The charger that came with my 620 is rated at 1300 mA, and isn't fixed to boot!)

Well, it's good to know that the phone is always better than the box it came in.
First off, build quality. It feels impressive. That's all I have to say. If you've owned a Lumia, you know what to experience.

The difference in speed or stability between this and a 620 is rather negligible. That said, I could say this of all WP devices. The differences really boil down to how quick the animations are on your respective OS version.
Now, the battery is mind-boggling from the perspective of a 620 owner. What can down my 620's battery in four hours takes twice as long to do so on my 630. Mind-boggling, I say.
The screen is great, though mine apparently doesn't handle whites well. The software keys/buttons aren't as bad as they sound, as well.

Well, since I did own a 620, there are a lot of things I missed out on by buying this. I miss Glance, and Double-tap-to-wake, and those are some major feature we're dealing with.
While the phone is better than the box it came in, it resembles the box too much, though at the end of the day, it gets the job done.
Do you feel that is an upgrade from Lumia 620? That is something a lot of people would want to know. :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Do you feel that is an upgrade from Lumia 620? That is something a lot of people would want to know. :)
It's an upgrade. However, I feel it was done halfheartedly. Had the 620 been a massive disappointment, or the 520 had not existed, this would've seemed like a great phone.

However, it feels fitting to compare this to the 625 instead. This is a much better version of the 625.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I see. I really want to see how the last gen lumias will be like with cyan before comparing them actually. There must be some kind of benefit from cyan.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's an upgrade. However, I feel it was done halfheartedly. Had the 620 been a massive disappointment, or the 520 had not existed, this would've seemed like a great phone.

However, it feels fitting to compare this to the 625 instead. This is a much better version of the 625.

Congratulations :D . I can see the same in your new signature :winktongue:

Commander Will

May 29, 2014
Visit site
After a few days of using the dual sim variant I have a few minor but neat suggestions:
1. Ability to assign color to each sim. This would translate into two things, different color signal strength indicators in the notification bar. Currently they are distinguished only by number but a clearer visual distinction would be nice. Also, the respective tiles for phone and messaging would bear the same color (if you leave them separate).

2. Assign different ring tone to each sim. I can live with the inability to set group ring tones, some app may override that, however this would definitely help, as for example I have a private and work sim in my phone and I'd like to be able to hear immediately if I'm receiving private or work call.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Salamat Kabayan. Me too was going to buy this but I opted for the L925. Very good phone but the battery life is not so great. I heard that the camera of the 630 is very good too!

Commander Will

May 29, 2014
Visit site
how the real life battery endurance when on dual sim? plan to get one for daily driver too, btw am also from pinas

So far it seems like a day and a half without problems. Maybe can be stretched to two full days. I use mails, phone of course, messaging and some browsing.
With my previous phone if I didn't use data at all battery life got up to three days.

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm the former owner of a 620 and a W1, both broke. The W1 was manufacturing errors and the Lumia 620 I just abused :-(

The journey back to WP was full of mmms and aaaahhhhs but the 630 is ace. Speedier than my Moto G. More vibrant than an iPhone 5c and more efficient than any phone I have used. A big thing for me is the on screen navigation buttons of which are amazing. My 620's search button consistently jammed and brought up bing this won't happen with on screen buttons.

It is well built.
Bold and Beautiful
Snappy
Switch n go.

That's what this phone is about, it's like a point and shoot camera or a twist n go scooter, you switch it on and you go with all the features.

It is totally a winner. I love it and what a bargain!

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Newbie review

I bought a Lumia 630 Dual SIM. My only comparison is my iPad mini, which has the innards of an iPhone 4S.

It feels very fast. Apps launch quicker than on the iPad, but scrolling is slower. Probably the screen's fault, both in sensing my finger and refreshing the pixels.

Rotating takes too long.

The camera is good, better than my iPad (which has the one from iPhone 4, not S)

The screen isn't bright enough, making it hard to use outside. Probably due to Windows using white on black. iOS allows a lot more backlight through the LCD.

You get a three-way brightness switch in the action center. As far as I can tell it doesn't adjust to ambient conditions. This is very annoying when you go from waiting for the bus to sitting in the bus.

The backlight LEDs shine through at the top of the screen. This is ugly and distracting when the status bar is replaced by something white, as in Internet Explorer. Probably subject to manufacturing variations.

There is no anti-fat coating. The screen smudges up much more quickly than on the iPad, and you have to rub much harder to get it clean. So the phone rarely looks as nice as the design deserves.

It's very pretty, but too symmetrical. Half the time I'm pulling it out the wrong way around.

The speaker is where my hand goes, and if you cover the hole it's all but silent.

It's too big for my hands, and I'm a tall bloke. The width together with the boxy shape make it painful to use one-handed, especially reaching the back button. You basically have to hold it with the tips of your fingers. Luckily the material is somewhat grippy. I'm still afraid to drop it when hitting the power button, which is in the middle instead of towards the top.

All in all very impressive for its price, but maybe a bit too cheap.

Pistooli

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So far it seems like a day and a half without problems. Maybe can be stretched to two full days. I use mails, phone of course, messaging and some browsing.
With my previous phone if I didn't use data at all battery life got up to three days.

I also have the 630 DS, and it is difficult to get one full day out of the phone. It constantly gives me warnings about battery draining quickly, and yes, it reaches 20-30% around 5 pm (from 7 am unplugged). So while I am happy with the phone, I would not dare to say, that anything more that a day it is possible for me (with my usage pattern of course).

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I also have the 630 DS, and it is difficult to get one full day out of the phone. It constantly gives me warnings about battery draining quickly, and yes, it reaches 20-30% around 5 pm (from 7 am unplugged). So while I am happy with the phone, I would not dare to say, that anything more that a day it is possible for me (with my usage pattern of course).
Found these tips in a comment section of one WPC article. Try those..
"Im an owner of a Lumia 920. I updated my phone today (it took so much time btw) Before update, I deleted most of my apps, games, and music, videos. The important things I backed up of course. After back up, update, after update I Hard/Factory reseted the phone (took enough time) After reseting, I stopped all background apps, turned wifi, location, bluettoth, nfc etc OFF. I synchronized FB, outlook etc..the usual accounts for import of personal info. Now, the phone works great, Played with it so long and Im still in battery saver and got 20%.That said, when I started to update (download/install) the phone was 75%) now its the 20% with everything off. I but wanted to get it really low, so I went to store, downloaded many apps, music, connected to PC and filled it with music/videos etc, and played it so the battery drops...not a chance. MY BATTERY LIFE IS EXTENED I feel, not that I have proof. Now, Im gonna let it ,,die,, and recharge to 100%. Im just satisfied and I read all post about critical battery drain after blue update. In short: Back up phone+Update+change language and location for cortana to work outside US (Im from EU-Slovakia and she can talk + Restart + Hard reset + drain all battery + charge it 100% and test it: moderate use and for standby time. The hard reset is important!!!"
"

Tips for those of you who are less educated on this topic:GO TO SETTINGS: set brightness as ,,automatic,,, disable vibration, update (I think you will need an app) the capacitive vibrations (3buttons) and turn vibration ,,heptic feedback,, off, aso vibration in sound settings off, lock screen time out set to 1minute or 30seconds, wifi search mnaually (disable the automatic connection to wifi hotsports, keep location off if not needed...indeed, turn everything internet based off if your not using web, + location if not using cortana and gps and maps and other location based. glance off or at least to ,,peek,, and touch to normal, not high sensitivity etc. :)

and definitely: dont overcharge phone, when it hits 99 or 100% battery, and dont let it die either, when it hits 5% or so, charge it. Lithium based batteries are designed for such charging. Not too less, not too much :) And dont look at it 160times per day as the statistic show, be different, play outside :)"

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have two questions to those who already bought Lumia 630 DS.
1. Can we type in landscape mode in text messaging?
2. Does Lumia 630 DS have live tiles?

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Pardon me for bugging you all.
But can we set a song or custom music track located in phone or card memory as ringtone in WP8.1 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas