We need the option to hide or show the navigation buttons!!

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

When I first got the Lumia 630 (3 months ago), I wanted to hide the navigation buttons.
I have searched many forums and everybody was saying the same thing: ''the extra 54 pixels are for the navigation buttons''.
Well I think that this is BS.

HTC One M8 has this option with a screen of 16:9 aspect ration, Lumia 730 has this option with 16:9 aspect ratio
and finally Lumia 830 has this option with again, 16:9 aspect ratio...

Now if you do the simple math, the aspect ratio for a screen with 854x480 pixels is... 16:9!
Moreover Lumia 630 should be the first phone in priority for hide-able navigation bar because it has the smallest
screen of the above phones I mentioned.

I really hate it when I play a video on TubeCast and I see tiny black bars on the top and bottom AND the navigation bar!
Plus it is annoying because some elements are clearly meant for 16:9 aspect ratio and our phone ruin them!

Does someone knows if the Denim Update bring this option to our Lumia 630?

Thanks!
Slightly frustrated, Alexander.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

When I first got the Lumia 630 (3 months ago), I wanted to hide the navigation buttons.
I have searched many forums and everybody was saying the same thing: ''the extra 54 pixels are for the navigation buttons''.
Well I think that this is BS.

HTC One M8 has this option with a screen of 16:9 aspect ration, Lumia 730 has this option with 16:9 aspect ratio
and finally Lumia 830 has this option with again, 16:9 aspect ratio...

Now if you do the simple math, the aspect ratio for a screen with 854x480 pixels is... 16:9!
Moreover Lumia 630 should be the first phone in priority for hide-able navigation bar because it has the smallest
screen of the above phones I mentioned.

I really hate it when I play a video on TubeCast and I see tiny black bars on the top and bottom AND the navigation bar!
Plus it is annoying because some elements are clearly meant for 16:9 aspect ratio and our phone ruin them!

Does someone knows if the Denim Update bring this option to our Lumia 630?

Thanks!
Slightly frustrated, Alexander.

true that /.//////
have you noticed another thing ???
while you are playing videos from the file explorer it takes up the whole screen and hides the navigation bar....
but if you play from the videoplayer or any other app the nav bar stays !!......
equally frustrated .....
also with the color profile bug .... the saturation settings :(

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Apps can't be designed to run at a resolution of 854x480, so even if you were able to hide the navigation bar you would see an empty space.

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Apps can't be designed to run at a resolution of 854x480, so even if you were able to hide the navigation bar you would see an empty space.

Don't think so, they will be rescaled and you will notice any difference (4 pixels is really small). I think with Denim the nav bar will behave like on 735/830, so it will hide when not needed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone was supposed to run in a resolution of 480x800 as far as applications are concerned, maintaining consistency with the other Windows Phones.

The HTC One M8 does not have the luxury (or not, depending) of a display designed for those buttons, so I would think the hiding option is available in the event an application demands the full space.

I don't know how well apps would scale if the 630 let them have those extra 54 pixels, but if other OSes are any indication, it might not be as simple as it seems.

webOS, which apps were often built using web code scaled pretty well sometimes
But when Apple unleashed the iPhone 5 with the taller 4" display, apps couldn't just take advantage of that extra screen real estate, I would think its the same here.

Sure, those higher resolution displays have a 16:9 aspect ratio, right? Well perhaps apps can work with that aspect ratio, but what about scaling?

Not bothering to make buttons hideable is probably a combination of not wanting to "rock the boat" of app compatibility and not feeling the need to put effort into a relatively small option.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
dear xandros9 could you explain this

"while you are playing videos from the file explorer it takes up the whole screen and hides the navigation bar....
but if you play from the video player or any other app the nav bar stays !!......"

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should prove it does infact behave that way before demanding an explanation about it..

as for scalability, it wouldnt work, just look at the 1520 a lot of apps have a thing black bar at the bottom because they can scale to fit the full screen and were never updated for the screen size

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you should prove it does infact behave that way before demanding an explanation about it..

as for scalability, it wouldnt work, just look at the 1520 a lot of apps have a thing black bar at the bottom because they can scale to fit the full screen and were never updated for the screen size

is this proof enough for you ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
dear xandros9 could you explain this

"while you are playing videos from the file explorer it takes up the whole screen and hides the navigation bar....
but if you play from the video player or any other app the nav bar stays !!......"

I'm not someone who has worked on Windows Phone, so I can only speculate.

Maybe the Files app/media player it uses knows about the nature of the 630 and changes accordingly or something.
For the sake of compatibility and simplicity, the phone probably tells all apps that it has a 480x800 display like most other lower-end Lumia's.

I can't explain it with 100% confidence and all, its just some discrepancy from what I can tell. Why it happens? I don't know.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
cant you see ???
in that video i showed to you ...???
the full screen is being utilized the whole 854X480 even with the nav bar on .,....
the navi bar stays as an overlay on the screen while everything goes under it .....

we need facts and not speculations !!!

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I use UC Browser for watching videos on tubes and Virtual buttons disappear during video play.
So I don't need option to hide virtual buttons. But that is just my opinion.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has make it clear to developers... (from Dev Center)

If the device has screen with 854x480 pixels and hardware buttons :

''Build a 720p image that scales down to FWVGA or build a WVGA image that scales up to FWVGA.''

If the device has screen with 854x480 pixels and software buttons :

''In this scenario, the bottom 54 scan lines of the display panel are reserved to render the Start, Back, and Search buttons.''

So after all, if hideable nav bar is part of the Denim Update, there is no reason why we won't have it!
If the device as is, has those 54 pixel as static part of the UI and put the same code as Lumia 735, meaning that they are not a static part of the UI (are hideable), all apps should scale down from 720p perfectly fine!
Hiding the nav bar is possible..

With my understanding, developers have to put extra lines of code to make Lumia's 630 display ''think'' it is 800x480.
Microsoft haven't polished the nav bar on the Lumia 630 (as the first phone with this future).
So now that is already on Lumia 735 which have the denim update,
I'm pretty sure that the same lines of code will be applied on the Lumia's 630 Denim Update!

Sunnn

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Lumia phone specially for watching video. Windows phone wasted my money with those ridiculous always on navigation buttons even on video playback and full screen applications. Now I am planning to buy an Android mobile, my friends and brothers are using Android and never faced any issue regarding video playback. Now I am a fool of my group because I brought Windows Phone. There are some settings Microsoft mentioned on their meaningless site to hide navigation buttons but nothing working on my Lumia. :cry:

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Lumia phone specially for watching video. Windows phone wasted my money with those ridiculous always on navigation buttons even on video playback and full screen applications. Now I am planning to buy an Android mobile, my friends and brothers are using Android and never faced any issue regarding video playback. Now I am a fool of my group because I brought Windows Phone. There are some settings Microsoft mentioned on their meaningless site to hide navigation buttons but nothing working on my Lumia. :cry:

One advice, do a proper research before investing your money into any electronic device. Or else you will be always a fool of your group.Sorry for being harsh. But WP is famous for not so awesome device as a video player. So this looks like your mistake buddy. Do your bit of research next time.

Another tip, try to play the video from the file explorer and the navigation buttons get hides automatically. It works. It will not work if you open using other video players. And how hard is it to ignore the navigation bar(seriously)? I don't understand people's whining here. Use the navigation bar's color as black always and your eyes will easily ignore it along with the bezel.

And to be frank if your friends are making fun of you just because, a navigation bar doesn't auto-hide, then you are not the fool. But they are the fools in the group. Tell them to laugh at you when their devices starts to slow down after few months of use while your Lumia will still be faster than their devices.

Josh Taba

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If you download the Big Bang Theory HD , or Walking Dead HD by AdarshShiragannavar , when watching any episode within these apps, the Nav Bar always hides, only app that plays video that i know of that hides the whole nav bar and allows the whole display to show the video. Wish that functionality was atleast available for other video playing apps, Though a mode similar to androids Immersion mode would be the best, to slide up from the bezel to show/utilize the nav bar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99