Background image on start screen

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
A colleague jus got a Lumia 630 and asked how to change the background image behind the tiles. I showed him settings and how to do it, but the background images didn't show, even after a restart if the phone.
I tried images from the photos album and the backgrounds folder, nothing worked. Going back into the settings, it still shows that an image has been selected.
He did say that he 'played with some settings' before hand. Is there another setting that would prevent a background image from displaying? Any other ideas?!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Take a look in settings->ease of access. Changing some settings in there will disable the backgound image in order to increase useability.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That shouldn't happen, although it's possible to create blank tiles for the purpose of spacing things out.

If you go into personalise mode on the start screen, do the black squares wobble with the rest? If so, unpin them.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
oh weird.

Are you sure that all of the ease of access settings are turned off?

Oh, the other thing to try is settings->sync my settings.

If you have "Theme" turned on, odd things will happen as it'll try to take settings from other devices using the same Microsoft Account.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope! There is just nothing there! The images only shows where there are tiles, whether they are transparent it not. No tile, no background lol

Isn't this the intended way that backgrounds work in WP 8.1? If you have a background image set, it will only put that image over the tiles. Anywhere that you don't have tiles will just use the theme color (Black for dark theme and White for light theme). You cannot change the color BEHIND the tiles, only the tiles themselves (if they are transparent)

Unless I'm missing something?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't this the intended way that backgrounds work in WP 8.1? If you have a background image set, it will only put that image over the tiles. Anywhere that you don't have tiles will just use the theme color (Black for dark theme and White for light theme). You cannot change the color BEHIND the tiles, only the tiles themselves (if they are transparent)

LOL! Darn, yes you're right. Been staring me in the face all the time and I KNOW this.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
oh weird.

Are you sure that all of the ease of access settings are turned off?

Oh, the other thing to try is settings->sync my settings.

If you have "Theme" turned on, odd things will happen as it'll try to take settings from other devices using the same Microsoft Account.

Can't. His first Windows phone!
Also, the ease of access stuff is off.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
FYI, "sync my settings" will sync settings across any Windows 8 device for the same Microsoft Account, not just Phones. Mine sync between my Windows Phone, my Surface Pro 3 and my desktop PC.

I think he may have some Windows machine or other, but I don't imagine it will be 8 or later.
And I too love that sync ability between devices lol

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, mine does too.
I will have to take a snap of his start screen and post it. I can't till tomorrow now... He's just finished for the day. Damn it lol

Anyway, surely the background image should cover the whole background, whether there are tiles over it or not...?

If there is no tiles, the background image WON'T be visible.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, change your way of thinking on this. You don't have a background image, you have a static background for your tiles.

We have to wait for Windows 10 to give us a traditional background to the start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3