Why is the application for Tasks only ringing once (and therefore I can miss it)?

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The application for Tasks only rings once (and therefore I can miss it)

I just bought a Nokia Lumia 635 and it seems it has a huge problem . I can setup a task (through the Diary) but when the time comes it rings once and therefore there's a great danger not to hear it . There is no option to specify the duration of the ringing . There is an option for setting after how long the mobile will remind you again , but this only works if you manually press the Postpone button . Therefore , if you don't hear the (single) ringing , you can't postpone the task alert . And therefore the task won't ring again and therefore you will lose for ever your task ...
My old phone simply kept ringing until I pressed any button (either to close the message or to postpone the task) . But now (the Lumia 635) only rings once and everything is gone ... I can't understand the meaning of setting a task if the phone is unable to make you understand it ...

I've also thought of setting a clock alarm , but unfortunatelly you can't set an alarm on a specific date other than the current ...

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: The application for Tasks only rings once (and therefore I can miss it)

Is there any other application ?

But even that way , shouldn't the default application work normally ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are lots of task and reminders apps and if you have Cortana you can even set reminders through that as well. Location based ones.

Depends on your thought of what is 'normal'. If you're someone who requires a constant reminder than the calendar app isn't going to do it. Maybe in another update this may change but that's just the way it is currently.

Another suggestion would be to change it to a custom sound that's long. See if that helps.

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

I think "normal" is something that is no more succesfull than the ordinary demands ! If the application fails to warn you about your task , then it simply is unsuccesfull and therefore it's not normal :wink: !

I've thought of that too . But how can I do that ? Is there a way I could upload a sound file into the mobile phone ? And if so , what format should that be on ? (wav , mp3) .

And , if the above fails too , how could I get a descent application ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I can't inform your on an app as I don't use them and everyone has different needs so its best to try different ones. Most are free or have free preview.

With the custom tone.

MP3 is the format you want. You just place it in the Ringtones folder to use it as a custom tone. You can do this by a PC and USB cable. If you don't have a PC there's apps for making custom tones.

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Thank you ! I am off to buy a USB cable and I will upload the biggest sound file I can find ! I'll make sure it will ring for a whole day ! ha ha ha ! Thanks again .

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
It seems this can't be a solution in the case of a Lumia 635 ...
I connect the phone on the PC via a USB cable but I simply can't copy the damn mp3 file . That is I copy the file to the clipboard but when in the Ringtones folder I press the right mouse button , the option Paste is unavailable ... Pressing CTRL + V does not help either ...
I also downloaded the Nokia Suite software , but when I connect my phone to the PC , although the programm sees it's about a Lumia 635 phone ,, it can't go any further and pops up a message saying I should choose the Nokia Suite USB mode . However , I can't find the correspondent setting in the phon'e settings ...

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to make it in WinXP and it seems that was the problem . Now that I've tried on Win7 I managed to successfully copy my mp3 file in the Ringtones' folder . However , although the file has a duration of 5 minutes , when the phone starts playing it , it only plays the first 5 seconds ... Therefore I am back to where I started from ...
I feel frustrated ... I could never imagine that in 2014 the people creating mobile phones did not know how to create proper task reminders ...

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
And there is one more thing : back in WinXP the Nokia Suite program found out immediately that my my phone was a Lumia 635 . But now on Win7 the program cannot realize it !
I don't understand what's the point of connecting the phone to a PC if there is nothing to do with that connection at all . In fact , if so , there shouldn't even be a USB slot under the phone .

Moreover , the Nokia Suite application (on my PC) keeps failing to connect to my Nokia account (it says that there might be no internet connection , which is wrong) .
An also the Suite keeps telling me that I should choose the Nokia Suite USB mode in the Connection settings . But there is no such option in the Settings menu ...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post the Nokia PC Suite does not work with Windows Phone. It's for Symbian. You do not need this software at all.

You can download the Windows Phone Syncing software for Windows 7 - Get the sync apps | Windows Phone (United Kingdom)

When the phone is connected to the PC it simply acts like a USB drive with folders you can access and move content about. You can move your pictures to the PC. You can move music to the phone you can add remove documents, etc.

Windows Phone works best with Windows 8 but even then the app is not that great. You're best to use the phone simply connected via USB and sync things through that.

Also if you want it to work with Windows Xp you need to allow it to search for drivers on the internet otherwise it won't work correctly.

As for your task notification issue. My suggestion is to try out different apps and see if they're any better for you. There are quite a few on there.

Search results for "tasks" | Windows Phone (United Kingdom)

iliekater

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Also if you want it to work with Windows Xp you need to allow it to search for drivers on the internet otherwise it won't work correctly.
I let it search the internet for drivers , but it didn't find any . I searched myself too (through Google with "Lumia 365 drivers") , but I also couldn't find any . Is there a web page I could download the drivers from ?

Oh , by the way , how can I search for updates for my phone ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I let it search the internet for drivers , but it didn't find any . I searched myself too (through Google with "Lumia 365 drivers") , but I also couldn't find any . Is there a web page I could download the drivers from ?

Oh , by the way , how can I search for updates for my phone ?
It's possible that with Windows Xp being discontinued they're not doing drivers for it. Though I do find it a bit strange but that may be the issue. When I hooked my 920 up to the Xp machine I used at work that's how I got it to go. I'm no longer on Xp now.

As for phone updates, you go Settings -> phone update

If there is anything there it will tell you. All updates are done over the air. (OTA) No software is required. Recommend using WiFi.

Also there's a windows phone website with all sorts of information.

windowsphone.com

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you. i despite the alarm system in WP. i used to own a Nokia N8 before i joined the WP ship, and i never over slept. but since i got my first WP (Lumia 800). i almost over sleep every day.

reason: for some weird design decision, WP alarms only ring for 8 minutes, and as i came to notice, 8 minutes of ringing is not enough for me, specially if the phone is in the bed, with the speaker against the mattress.

my solution, i put around 10 alarms, for the 40 minutes period before my waking time! that's TBH, insane! because i don't want to be awaken that early of my waking time, which makes it more difficult for me to wake up.

solution: cant they just make the alarm ring until the phone dies? let it ring for hours, whats your problem, if no one turns it off, it only means that no one hears it, and no one is bothered.

sigghhhh :'(