Why can't I connect via USB to Windows 8.1?

Stefano Radolovich

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Can't connect via USB to Windows 8.1

Hi!

I can't connect my Lumia 635 to my Windows 8.1 Notebook (an ASUS F551M) via USB cable. As soon as I connect it, the USB peripheral icon appears on Windows task bar for just 1 second, and after that it disappears for another second, then it appears again and so on in a unlimited loop, just like I was pluggin in and out the cable repeatedly.

This issue happens only with that notebook, I can connect the phone with other 2 PC with Windows 8 and Windows 7 without problems.
The notebook with the issue is brand new, so I don't think there should be any software interfering...

Any idea? :cry:

Thank you

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't connect via USB to Windows 8.1

At last, it was the cable. It works with all my PC but the notebook, maybe because all its ports are USB 3.0...
Thank you :grin:
Okay well that explains it. I know some cables don't work, i have a couple which i received with my Bluetooth keyboard for charging, they don't work with my Lumias but do work for my Blackberry and my WD Passport

wolfin2000

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem on all ports. The little short USB cable that it comes with worked, but not my cheapie $2.00 cable that I used with my Samsung Dart phone.
I went to Walmart and bought a 4ft Belkin purple micro-USB cable for about $7 I think and it works like a charm.

scanf

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I guess your laptop should be connected to power source when you connect your phone.

Absolutely ridiculous advice. He's not formatting an HDD but plugging in a cable, speaking of which you might want to check it as some are charge only and not data cables.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely ridiculous advice. He's not formatting an HDD but plugging in a cable, speaking of which you might want to check it as some are charge only and not data cables.
I was facing problem when i connected L620 to my laptop running on batteries but when i connected the laptop to power source the issue was resolved..that is why i posted the solution.

wolfin2000

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Laptops conserve power, especially when running on a battery, and when they are getting low on power.
This will cause some devices on USB to not work properly so your line of thought and action are correct Ravi (I've known a few people named "Ravi" so I hope that you mind me calling you by that nickname.).
Some USB speakers will not work on some systems either, and will need a separate power source.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3