Unbranding the AT&T Lumia 635 GoPhone

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
welp, I'm trying it.
Why? Because I'm a bored techie.

If anything I can report success or failure here, in the case that anyone's curious (+ this is a side phone in case anything terribly wrong happens). c:
(rn I'm downloading the data package, following this guide)

EDIT:
If you'd like to try it yourself, follow this guide to the letter. When you put the model and product code into the box, make it look like:

products.PNG
That'd be RM-975 for the product type and 059W1Z6 for the product code. That's the international variant, IIRC.

Last edited:

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious for the result :)

As am I.
I have heard rumours of being able to flash a Rogers FFU onto AT&T Nokia variants and then being able to proceed to flash the unbranded one, so I'm trying that now.

I've been having issues with modifying .vpl files because it seems that the FFU info that that always seems to stop me from installing the unbranded FFU is hardcoded into the FFU file. I'm not positive, however that's a hypothesis based on the error I'm getting and the fact that modifications seemingly aren't affecting that.

girishrane

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I picked up one go phone as weel few weeks back and now that I have some time , I would be interested to know about your sucess ;)

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I picked up one go phone as weel few weeks back and now that I have some time , I would be interested to know about your sucess ;)

Okay. So it's not going well, in all honesty.
I *could* bypass the FFU error by changing the product ID to the international variant, however it's hardcoded into the system and there's no way to change it currently.

I've tried flashing various RM-975 roms, however the FFU issue persists. I've changed the config files in the packages that have been downloaded to reflect our specific model, however that has no effect (as changing different lines will either produce a different error or the FFU error). So, from what I've gathered, the FFU error is caused by the FFU file itself, not config files (sadly). Also, I couldn't even edit the FFU file because it's signed (as I've seen on Google searches) and modifying it would mess up the signature.

I've been looking at ATF Jtag boxes, but I'm not finding enough reason to spend 20 USD for modifying my perfectly functional device (as I'm on AT&T anyway). I might bite the bullet and ask for it with Christmas money (for testing purposes), but I'll have to do more research.

girishrane

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Do you think this may work?

wpvision.de/lumia-allgemein/2257-nokia-lumia-xxx-flashen-der-firmware-debranden.html

PS: Sorry I posted before seeing that you have posted. I can understand that no point spend money if you are already on ATT.

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Do you think this may work?

wpvision.de/lumia-allgemein/2257-nokia-lumia-xxx-flashen-der-firmware-debranden.html

PS: Sorry I posted before seeing that you have posted. I can understand that no point spend money if you are already on ATT.

Nope, it will not work. The person in that post is not using an AT&T model, and the reason why I'm having so much trouble is due to AT&T locking the device down so much. I've done the process outlined in that thread (thanks Google Translate) and that's how I've actually hit the FFU error.

Thank you though!

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you unlock the phone first?

Nope. Don't see enough reason to spend money on an unlock code for a phone that works perfectly fine on the network it was made for.

If anyone with an unlocked phone would like to try (and has a Windows PC), getting the package for the international variant isn't a difficult task. Let me get on a PC so I can explain what's specific to our phone.

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Update:
Somehow, it's letting me flash from AT&T Prepaid to AT&T Postpaid. Very interesting.
Perhaps I will try to go further from here.

sarathizen

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Don't see enough reason to spend money on an unlock code for a phone that works perfectly fine on the network it was made for.

If anyone with an unlocked phone would like to try (and has a Windows PC), getting the package for the international variant isn't a difficult task. Let me get on a PC so I can explain what's specific to our phone.

Now att relaxed the rules for Unlocking .I got mine unlocked in 3 days. if you are not a att customer choose Non-AT&T Mobility customer. Report if successful

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Now att relaxed the rules for Unlocking .I got mine unlocked in 3 days. if you are not a att customer choose Non-AT&T Mobility customer. Report if successful

I am an AT&T customer, though.
+ From my knowledge, sim unlock will not change the fact that I'm running into an FFU error. That has to do with the phone and product code itself. Which, btw, I was able to flash to AT&T postpaid but could not flash to anything else. Might try Rogers soon.

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am an AT&T customer, though.
+ From my knowledge, sim unlock will not change the fact that I'm running into an FFU error. That has to do with the phone and product code itself. Which, btw, I was able to flash to AT&T postpaid but could not flash to anything else. Might try Rogers soon.

I couldn't get Rodgers or either of the Latin America rom's to flash - ATT apparently has this (and all of their other phones) locked to their roms only.

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't get Rodgers or either of the Latin America rom's to flash - ATT apparently has this (and all of their other phones) locked to their roms only.

Yep. That's the conclusion I came to.
I was able to flash from AT&T Prepaid to AT&T Postpaid, but that was it.
So...

• Yes. You can flash packages for different product ID's.
  • But they can only belong to AT&T.
  • However, ATF Jtag *might* be a viable fix for those willing to open up their phones.

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
what is the main difference between AT&T Prepaid to AT&T Postpaid rom?

Virtually nothing.
Same apps (I believe). Same features. No signal loss/gain.
I just did it because I thought it had the potential to have improvements for my usage (as I am on postpaid). So far, though, it hasn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3