AT&T unlock code for free?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
re: AT&T unlock code for free?

First, the IMEI has to be clean - no unpaid bills, or lost or stolen.

Second, it has to have had the contract completed. If it was bought outright, it's OK. If it was bought on a 2-year contract, and 2 years aren't up, then you can't do it.

So, if the IMEI is clean, and the phone is not under contract purchase, they will do it for you.

cversion7

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just did this for a phone I bought on Swappa to use on T-Mobile. Got the unlock code a few hours after filling out the form online.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried it with a Lumia 635 I purchased from GoPhone but never activated on GoPhone or AT&T. I was rejected with a statement something like "your phone is active on another account." What I have been doing is using the phone on first H2O and now PureTalk, so apparently you can't have the phone active on any AT&T MVNO for the unlock service to work. There are also cheapy codes available on eBay now for less than $5. They must work for some people because some of the seller ratings are 100%.

avchdman55

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I paid a guy on ebay 3 bucks to unlock my 1520. he had the exact same stipulations as that site does. now I know how he got the codes and why it was so cheap lol

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 635 unlocked by att using that link. I am using the phone on my existing postpaid contract. Took them a couple days to process. I chose 'current' as the customer type.

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Got around to doing this and to my surprise the info actually went through. Say we'll send you an email soon with a decision on your unlock request :)

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 635 unlocked by att using that link. I am using the phone on my existing postpaid contract. Took them a couple days to process. I chose 'current' as the customer type.

How did you do it cause I just got an email saying my imei number didn't match a device with the att network.

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
How did you do it cause I just got an email saying my imei number didn't match a device with the att network.

Like I said, I just chose 'current' as the customer type and filled in the info. They sent an email saying my request was under review. A few days later, they sent me an email with the unlock code.

Are you sure you typed in the IMEI correctly? I don't know why it wouldn't work, that's weird. Have you used the phone on your current plan on ATT's network, or is it a new phone that you haven't activated yet? Before requesting unlock I had used mine for about a month.

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Like I said, I just chose 'current' as the customer type and filled in the info. They sent an email saying my request was under review. A few days later, they sent me an email with the unlock code.

Are you sure you typed in the IMEI correctly? I don't know why it wouldn't work, that's weird. Have you used the phone on your current plan on ATT's network, or is it a new phone that you haven't activated yet? Before requesting unlock I had used mine for about a month.

Ok did you put anything in for At&T wireless account passcode?

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had it for almost 2 months now.

Hmmm... the only thing I did different that I can think of is that I swapped to my Moto X for a week or so before requesting the unlock. I unlocked with the code they gave me, but I haven't put my ATT sim back into my 635 since requesting the code. I am still using my Moto X.

How can the IMEI not be in their database? That seems odd. This is an ATT 635, correct? Mine was a gophone.

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Please respond if you have experience or a complete understanding of this situation. I am fearful of proceeding.

Thank you very much...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Please respond if you have experience or a complete understanding of this situation. I am fearful of proceeding.

Thank you very much...

The procedure you describe can help you to "unlock" the phone. However, unlocking the phone does not remove AT&T branding from the phone. It is still an AT&T 830, though unlocked so that it can run on other GSM carriers. AT&T is still responsible for pushing the hardware updates, because the RM model number of the phone is still tied to them.

The ONLY way you can get the phone to get an update direct from Microsoft is to flash the phone with a Country Variant ROM, which can brick your phone if it isn't done properly.

With the firmware updates that several of the phones have received, I don't even think it is currently possible to flash that particular phone variant (the AT&T variant of the 830) to another ROM. It's locked down and can't be changed.

Unlocking the phone will allow it to be used with another carrier, but AT&T is still responsible for updating it unless you can get it "unbranded." For that, a ROM flash is required.

I hope that helps to explain the difference in a way that you can understand. I didn't want to just tell you, "No, it won't work." I wanted to help you to understand "why" it won't work. "Locking" ties the cellular service to a particular carrier. The ROM variant is what ties the firmware and OS updates to a particular carrier. You can change the ROM while it is still "locked" to a carrier, or you can unlock it while the ROM is still tied to a carrier. The two are not the same, and changing one does not change the other.

Windows 10 will be out soon enough. There are a number of phones that are not planned to upgrade to GDR2 simply because 10 is too close and it would cause 2 upgrades for people. Many people get angry about getting too many upgrades, so carriers try to do them less often. While AT&T has said the 830 would not get the Denim, they did not say it would not upgrade to 10. Let's be patient a bit longer and see where AT&T takes us.

jhessy21

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
pls help unlock my lumia 635
im in the philippines

IMEI#: IMEI REMOVED BY MODERATOR - SHOULD NOT BE PUBLICLY POSTED

pls help :unhappy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members