Don't install Windows 10 on this device just yet...

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been using my Lumia 635 as daily driver for a couple of days now. Left my iPhone at home while trying not to break too many bones (and phones) at Enduromania, and decided to give Windows 10 Mobile 10166 a go. Short answer: don't do it, at least not on the 635. It's dead slow (the phone isn't the fastest to begin with but Windows 10 Mobile brings that phone to a screetching halt - Here Maps needs minutes (!) to launch, browsing the web is like it's 1995, the notification center takes about a second or two to appear, etc.), it crashes frequently (had to reboot due to different issues every single day), Microsoft Edge is just plain terrible (never thought it was possible to create something even worse than Internet Explorer), Skype calls drop all the time, etc. It's just not worth it yet, maybe it'll get better with time but right now if I were you I wouldn't touch Windows 10 Mobile with a 10ft pole.

I was thinking about resetting the phone with Windows Phone Recovery Tool but since, if worst comes to worst and I do have an accident I may need a phone to call for help, I've decided to wait it out and live with these annoyances. My teammate has a Lumia 930 with Windows 8.1 Denim so at least we have one fully working phone for emergencies :wink:

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my Lumia 635 as daily driver for a couple of days now. Left my iPhone at home while trying not to break too many bones (and phones) at Enduromania, and decided to give Windows 10 Mobile 10166 a go. Short answer: don't do it, at least not on the 635. It's dead slow (the phone isn't the fastest to begin with but Windows 10 Mobile brings that phone to a screetching halt - Here Maps needs minutes (!) to launch, browsing the web is like it's 1995, the notification center takes about a second or two to appear, etc.), it crashes frequently (had to reboot due to different issues every single day), Microsoft Edge is just plain terrible (never thought it was possible to create something even worse than Internet Explorer), Skype calls drop all the time, etc. It's just not worth it yet, maybe it'll get better with time but right now if I were you I wouldn't touch Windows 10 Mobile with a 10ft pole.

I was thinking about resetting the phone with Windows Phone Recovery Tool but since, if worst comes to worst and I do have an accident I may need a phone to call for help, I've decided to wait it out and live with these annoyances. My teammate has a Lumia 930 with Windows 8.1 Denim so at least we have one fully working phone for emergencies :wink:

I suppose you have done a hard-reset on it? I've got a friend that runs it on his 635 without most of the things you have trouble with.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Do the restore from PC ... it is very fast and works great. I've gone back and forth testing Win 10 but it's just not ready for daily use ... yet. Get the benefit from 8.1 for now and try again with the next build. 10166 was a good step forward, but just not ready. You are also having to deal with Bluetooth issues ... under "repair" as noted by staff.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the latest windows 10 build on my 635 with no issues (This is not my daily driver) I did do a hard rest after the upgrade

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the latest windows 10 build on my 635 with no issues (This is not my daily driver) I did do a hard rest after the upgrade
This.

I ran my L635 without a hard reset and it was an unmitigated nightmare. Slow, buggy, crashy, temperamental. Did the hard reset and it ran perfectly fine.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Of course I did a hard reset after the upgrade, it was unusable before. It got better but still far from stable or usable.
I'm not too dependent on this device since it will only be my daily driver for two more days. This was simply meant to be a warning.

drew_t

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
10166 is stable and usable on my 635. And, for whatever reason, the installation process for it went more smoothly than it did on my 640.

oneninertb

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Dumb question. I too installed the Win 10 preview really liked it but found Edge almost unusable. I used the recovery tool to go back. I never thought of hard reset. So a hard reset with Win 10 installed won't revert me back to Win 8.1?

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Dumb question. I too installed the Win 10 preview really liked it but found Edge almost unusable. I used the recovery tool to go back. I never thought of hard reset. So a hard reset with Win 10 installed won't revert me back to Win 8.1?

No, you will still have Windows 10.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am running 10166 on my backup phone L635 & it runs great. It's very fast and fluid. The only issue I have is that I cannot set a custom background. Seems that was lost in between build 10149 & 10166. But it still works great. I've put my SIM card in and used it for a few days with no issues. I was tempted to pull the trigger on my 925, but reading about other users complaints, I think I'll wait.

grumble69

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Same here. I decided to be a guinea pig. I had a little bit of a problem getting Win 10 to install. But once I did, everything has gone just fine. No issues with it crawling along. It seems to be sync'n much better to my PC that also has Win 10 with regards to People and Maps. I was especially having problems with the latter in Win 8.1.

The only thing I'm not liking are the tiles / icons. I wish I could turn the snap off, have more control over the appearance of the tile, and tweak the grid. ...and maybe you can, I'm still new at this.

But for those holding off because of lag, I wouldn't let that hold you back. Seems just as fast as before. No crashes either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb