Pentaband?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a pentaband WP and I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not the 710 is or isn't.

Daniel from the site replied to me on Twitter saying the chipset doesn't support pentaband, but other sites out there say that users in Canada discovered that their unlocked Wind 710s could get 3G on Rogers.

So I guess I just want to confirm for sure...anyone out there with an unlocked T-Mo 710, could you try slipping in an AT&T SIM and see if you get 3G/HSPA. Thanks so much in advance!

Edit: I have since updated my understanding of the situation. It's not so much that I'm looking for pentaband, per se, more for HSPA+ on both AT&T and T-Mobile. The T-Mo 710 has UMTS bands I (2100), II (1900), IV (1700), and V (850). It lacks VIII which is 900MHz, but that is not used for 3G/HSPA+ in the US. So, while not pentaband, it is exactly what I'm looking for:)
-mtmjr90

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Almost all Qualcomm modem devices sold today support pentaband... in the modem. However, for space saving on ever smaller PCBs, among other reasons, OEMs do not implement more transmitters than necessary.

There are two versions of the lumia 710. One whih supports att frequencies (very rare), and one that is t mobile frequencies (very common in USA).

I've considered getting a lumia 710 for Nokia drive alone, but have held off, since I am an AT&T customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a pentaband WP and I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not the 710 is or isn't.

Daniel from the site replied to me on Twitter saying the chipset doesn't support quadband, but other sites out there say that users in Canada discovered that their unlocked Wind 710s could get 3G on Rogers.

So I guess I just want to confirm for sure...anyone out there with an unlocked T-Mo 710, could you try slipping in an AT&T SIM and see if you get 3G/HSPA. Thanks so much in advance!

-mtmjr90

T-Mobile's website regarding the 710 - Nokia Lumia 710 | Prepaid Phone Details | T-Mobile

"4G Capable
Band/frequency: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS Band I: 2100 MHz
UMTS Band II: 1900 MHz
UMTS Band IV: 1700/2100 MHz
UMTS Band V: 850 MHz"

It has what you need to use 3g on both T-Mobile and ATT. I know because I have used 3g on both networks.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
other sites out there say that users in Canada discovered that their unlocked Wind 710s could get 3G on Rogers.

Just to clarify it is the opposite. Most of us in Canada have bought 710s from Rogers, unlocked them and are able to use them on Wind/Moblicity which use the AWS spectrum.

I think Rogers and AT&T use similar bands so a Rogers 710 should work on AT&T.

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it is of any use but I bought mine from Rogers unlocked it and haves used it on Bell, Wind and Rogers. While on Bell I am on the HSPA network,assuming that is what the H stands for.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I just discovered something awesome and came here to post about it, then saw this thread. I just unlocked a 710 here in the US and I used my AT&T pre-paid SIM to do so (it's not a true microSIM, I cut it down from a full SIM). And lo and behold I have a 4G bar and actual "4G" speeds on AT&T. I clocked it right next to my 900 using the same app (testmynet), and got the same results. I bought the 710 used so I assume it's just a regular US 710, but can answer any questions about it.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
So I just discovered something awesome and came here to post about it, then saw this thread. I just unlocked a 710 here in the US and I used my AT&T pre-paid SIM to do so (it's not a true microSIM, I cut it down from a full SIM). And lo and behold I have a 4G bar and actual "4G" speeds on AT&T. I clocked it right next to my 900 using the same app (testmynet), and got the same results. I bought the 710 used so I assume it's just a regular US 710, but can answer any questions about it.

I have mine but I'm waiting on an unlock code from T-Mo as well as an eBay seller...just to confirm, your 710 has T-Mobile branding on the bottom correct?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Well after what seems like an eternity, I finally got my T-Mo 710 unlocked and successfully got AT&T HSPA+ to work! As far as I know, this is the only pentaband (2nd Gen) WP and unless an Apollo phone is also pentaband, I'll be sticking with this little phone:)

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well after what seems like an eternity, I finally got my T-Mo 710 unlocked and successfully got AT&T HSPA+ to work! As far as I know, this is the only pentaband (2nd Gen) WP and unless an Apollo phone is also pentaband, I'll be sticking with this little phone:)

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Yea I just got my Lumia 710 unlocked from Tmobile and started using mine with straight talk with an AT&T sim card and this is awesome. I get 4g speeds as well, but the only thing that didn't work for me was MMS because Nokia was dumb and pulled it off the market. To culprit this, I flashed the latest Tango ROM, and now I have everything I need to change my MMS settings (comes with the Lumia line as a default app in Tango). So now I'm running Tango with AT&T 4G for only 45/month.....sweet :D. Plus, Tango brings internet sharing and I tested it with my 4s and it works just fine without any problems from Straight Talk.

Also, not to deter anyone from this phone, but the Radar 4g is capable of the same thing if you obtain the unlock code. When my money is right I plan on finding a cheap Radar on Craigslist so that I can swap between both phones since this phone doesn't have a front facing camera (a real shame indeed)

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Also, not to deter anyone from this phone, but the Radar 4g is capable of the same thing if you obtain the unlock code. When my money is right I plan on finding a cheap Radar on Craigslist so that I can swap between both phones since this phone doesn't have a front facing camera (a real shame indeed)

Assuming this is true, I would switch in an instant...if the Radar had free turn-by-turn. I've been using Nokia Drive A LOT recently and I don't think I could give it up=/

northwestguy

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't get data to work on AT&T prepaid

Hi guys,

Seeing this thread filled me with hope, because it looks like several posters are trying to do exactly what I want to do, but I can't make it work. I'd really appreciate any pointers.

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 from T-Mobile in the USA.

I unlocked it and bought a AT&T prepaid SIM card. I believe the sub-brand is "Go Phone," if that makes a difference. (For what it's worth, I'm currently using this exact setup with an HTC Surround, and everything works perfectly.)

Calls and non-picture text messages work great, but I can't get any data. The display on the phone shows 4G, but nothing that actually uses data works. I've tried fooling around with Settings > Cellular > Network selection, as well as with ##3282#, and with the latter, I can switch to 2G, but I can't get data in any circumstance.

I've called AT&T and they say they don't support 4G on prepaid. That's fine by me -- I'd be happy with 3G data. But I can't seem to figure out how to make that work.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Brian

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yea I just got my Lumia 710 unlocked from Tmobile and started using mine with straight talk with an AT&T sim card and this is awesome. I get 4g speeds as well, but the only thing that didn't work for me was MMS because Nokia was dumb and pulled it off the market. To culprit this, I flashed the latest Tango ROM, and now I have everything I need to change my MMS settings (comes with the Lumia line as a default app in Tango). So now I'm running Tango with AT&T 4G for only 45/month.....sweet :D. Plus, Tango brings internet sharing and I tested it with my 4s and it works just fine without any problems from Straight Talk.

I found about this back in January, unlocked through eBay and was able to get 4G with AT&T but.. with the Nokia Network Setup app only, I've heard before that flashing a foreign rom will bring that app back or can I just flash any Tango ROM that isn't USA, Canada, Columbia, India and Iceland since they haven't released it for those countries yet?

I'm asking because that device is broken now and I got another one...

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I found about this back in January, unlocked through eBay and was able to get 4G with AT&T but.. with the Nokia Network Setup app only, I've heard before that flashing a foreign rom will bring that app back or can I just flash any Tango ROM that isn't USA, Canada, Columbia, India and Iceland since they haven't released it for those countries yet?

I'm asking because that device is broken now and I got another one...
Nokia Network Setup is available with a Lumia 710 unbranded ROM:

From Navifirm:
1600.3031.8773.12121 Nokia RM-803 Country Variant United Kingdom GB V5 BLACK (059N2L6)

To clarify this is my current device I'm planning to use with AT&T, I have a locked T-Mobile USA Lumia 710 Demo unit, it came with the demo firmware, had to flash the black Tmobs USA firmware pre-Tango via Zune, Zune updated to Tango after connecting it w/o sim card, found this thread and considered flashing an unbranded Lumia 710 ROM because Nokia hasn't released the Network Setup app for he US, the UK version has the Network Setup pre-installed!! now I'm waiting for the unlock code if it's possible because it's a demo unit, crossing my fingers...

Did this help? feedback please!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo