New to Windows Phone 7 and Lumia 710

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have demoed the phone at Microsoft stores and i will have the device by the end of the year or start of next .i know its going to be a year old but this is all i can work with for now then will upgrade to WP8 next Summer. Anything Else i should know about this Phone and its a onlybetter Device than My currrent Android 2.2 Optimus One/T with only 189Mb Ram.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's been a solid performer for me, not top of the line I'll grant you but solid. I definately perfer the Windows UI to Android or IOS. If I remeber correctly you'll have about 6GB of storage out of the box, that hasn't been a problem for me, but if you store a lot of music and download a lot of apps you could run into space issues.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Using L710 for a month now.
Zune and reserved space works weirdly sometimes and the battery could have been a bit more enduring, but overall solid performance. Everything works out of the box and the ui is as smooth as turning pages in a book.

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had my WP for about 7 months and I am starting to dislike it by the day. The keyboard is slow and sluggish, sometimes the screen glitches up. I had a fond dislike for how the virtual keyboard would randomly disappear during texting. The fm radio on it stops working when i switch it from headphones to speakerphone. I found certain websites do not support the WP os. Therefore when I go to those websites, there is significant problems, i.e. logging in or trying to sign up for forums or just to register via linking fb. It can be a nightmare doing so. If your looking to kill time, shoot, there is no better way than to try and link fb with a website. Trying to edit a text message on my lumia 710 is an exercise in restraint. Sometimes using this phone to surf the web brings me back to the days of dial up. Some websites have these invisible advertising links that hover directly over it. Trying to navigate those sites is frustrating at times. I used to say that after I got this phone, it replaced my desktop PC for web surfing. I no longer feel that way. I miss the true internet web browsing method. I have noticed that on all my apps, there is heavy advertisement for sales. How annoying is it when I click on my weather app and there is this giant advertising banner taking up a quarter of the screen. This may not be restricted to lumai 710, and may be prevalent on all mobile devices apps. This This is my first smartphone. I guess for it being free I got my monies worth. I however will never go back to a WP. The next phone im getting is going to be an android. Trial and error I guess. But every one has their opinions. Good luck on your purchase.

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh almost forgot to mention. If you get tired of the same 6 message tones, too bad. It seems that one cannot assign other message tones other then the 6 preloaded ones.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had my WP for about 7 months and I am starting to dislike it by the day. The keyboard is slow and sluggish, sometimes the screen glitches up. I had a fond dislike for how the virtual keyboard would randomly disappear during texting. The fm radio on it stops working when i switch it from headphones to speakerphone. I found certain websites do not support the WP os. Therefore when I go to those websites, there is significant problems, i.e. logging in or trying to sign up for forums or just to register via linking fb. It can be a nightmare doing so. If your looking to kill time, shoot, there is no better way than to try and link fb with a website. Trying to edit a text message on my lumia 710 is an exercise in restraint. Sometimes using this phone to surf the web brings me back to the days of dial up. Some websites have these invisible advertising links that hover directly over it. Trying to navigate those sites is frustrating at times. I used to say that after I got this phone, it replaced my desktop PC for web surfing. I no longer feel that way. I miss the true internet web browsing method. I have noticed that on all my apps, there is heavy advertisement for sales. How annoying is it when I click on my weather app and there is this giant advertising banner taking up a quarter of the screen. This may not be restricted to lumai 710, and may be prevalent on all mobile devices apps. This This is my first smartphone. I guess for it being free I got my monies worth. I however will never go back to a WP. The next phone im getting is going to be an android. Trial and error I guess. But every one has their opinions. Good luck on your purchase.

Not had any keyboard disappear problem on my Lumia 710 with WP7.5. I know it was a reported bug in WP7.
Not sure, why editing texts is an exercise of restraint for you. Personally haven't found any problem.
Not sure, what apps you install. Advertisements will be there for most of the free apps on any platform. For weather, I use weather channel app from Nokia collection. It has advertisements at the top, but they don't take 1/4 of the screen. So far, I have not seen any single app on my phone taking up quarter of screen. Can you name the apps that you mention taking up quarter of the screen? Infact weather channel app looks little better than on my iphone.

Regarding FB linking, I don't know since I don't link many websites to my FB account. Try to minimize FB linking anyways. Regarding websites browsing, it's not OS fault entirely. It's a well known fact that some websites have been designing them to identify IE on WP as mobile browser than full desktop browser, causing some issues. Slowly web developers are realizing the mistake and it will take some time to change. But obviously, phone is not a replacement for all websites for your desktop. For casual browsing, this is perfectly fine device and OS.

FM radio is designed to use your headphone as antenna. Hence it doesn't work on speaker phone. This is the real FM receiver not internet based radio. Hence it works this way.
It says about using headphones as antenna clearly when you start radio. I am surprise if you have never seen this before on any other phones. I have seen this standard on most of the nokia phones in the past.

I have the phone for only 1 month and still not using it as my main device,since am going to give it as a gift to my dad. Have been testing it though. So far not had restart issues.
But had to restart manually once,since couple of apps were not launching. That's it so far.

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes , I understand that the fm radio needs the plug in jack to act like an antenna. My issue, is when I have the antenna installed and switch to speakerphone, that when my screen dims, the fm radio glitches up pretty bad, then will stop completely. I then have to go back into the fm app and restart it, several times. My wifes WP works fine when switched to speakerphone. Which apps have the advertisement banners on them? Well, the one I notice the most is the flashlight app and the weather channel apps. If you have only been using the lumia for a month now, come back in 5 more months and let us know how your experience is going. One month is not nearly long enough to gauge how well it works.

Novaone

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll back up Jc here, OP take a good look at android in the price range of the 710, 7.5 is pretty feature incomplete compared to ICS or JB.

Using WP for a 2.5 months cumulatively, I switch back to blackberry every time, but then give 710 another chance.
But email disappoints. Email attachments are limited to photos for example [unless you go into the app, and then probably you can share it- but not easily and not likely more than on file].
Yesterday I wanted call a number from a website, copied it. No way to paste or call it in the phone app. If you can find the 'place' via search local your fine, but that should be possible.
No universal search or notification 'center' eventually will get to you. I am using the 710 right now, and I cannot search any of my SMS conversations :(
Camera crashes for me sometimes, button or tapping screen will not work, requires restart.
Jc is right about sounds, some kind of profile thing would have been great. Global volumes affects everything [but not call volume]. If you are listening to music with headphones, new email will 'ding at the same volume.
This might just be my phone, but proximity sensor somehow allows the screen to turn on again and I have hung up many times by accident.

Still OP its your call. I say springing for an 8x would be better at least.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll back up Jc here, OP take a good look at android in the price range of the 710, 7.5 is pretty feature incomplete compared to ICS or JB.

Using WP for a 2.5 months cumulatively, I switch back to blackberry every time, but then give 710 another chance.
But email disappoints. Email attachments are limited to photos for example [unless you go into the app, and then probably you can share it- but not easily and not likely more than on file].
Yesterday I wanted call a number from a website, copied it. No way to paste or call it in the phone app. If you can find the 'place' via search local your fine, but that should be possible.
No universal search or notification 'center' eventually will get to you. I am using the 710 right now, and I cannot search any of my SMS conversations :(
Camera crashes for me sometimes, button or tapping screen will not work, requires restart.
Jc is right about sounds, some kind of profile thing would have been great. Global volumes affects everything [but not call volume]. If you are listening to music with headphones, new email will 'ding at the same volume.
This might just be my phone, but proximity sensor somehow allows the screen to turn on again and I have hung up many times by accident.

Still OP its your call. I say springing for an 8x would be better at least.
First, you mentioned about looking at Android counterparts in the price range of Lumia 710. Then you compare WP7.x with JB. JB/ICS are not available in same price range from a reputable OEM.
In emails, even on iphone, you can't attach other files from the email app. You can attach from the app. Same as WP. I have already now gifted 710 to may dad, so can't play around more to
explore more. (I have iphone 4s).
Regarding sounds, I agree, improvement is welcome, but I think you are now nit-picking on things. None of this is a deal-breaker as far as OP is concerned, who is migrating from Android 2.2.

Every OS has positives and negatives, you only pointed out negatives. You should have something to speak positive also, I guess.
Also, you suggested 8x. But 8x is WP8 and OP already said above, he is not looking for WP8 at this moment. If he was asking about WP8, I would personally recommend 920 and not 8x.

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
thank you too late using a brand new 710 and im not switching phone companies for the 920 if I was to get wp8 I would get the 810

Novaone

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Raylz enjoy the 710. Hope it does good by you, be interested if you'd repost with the best apps you've found.

First, you mentioned about looking at Android counterparts in the price range of Lumia 710. Then you compare WP7.x with JB. JB/ICS are not available in same price range from a reputable OEM.
In emails, even on iphone, you can't attach other files from the email app. You can attach from the app. Same as WP. I have already now gifted 710 to may dad, so can't play around more to
explore more. (I have iphone 4s).
Regarding sounds, I agree, improvement is welcome, but I think you are now nit-picking on things. None of this is a deal-breaker as far as OP is concerned, who is migrating from Android 2.2.
Every OS has positives and negatives, you only pointed out negatives. You should have something to speak positive also, I guess.
Also, you suggested 8x. But 8x is WP8 and OP already said above, he is not looking for WP8 at this moment. If he was asking about WP8, I would personally recommend 920 and not 8x.

Hey Hary, for whats its worth I do not see really see much discussion of WP's flaws. I realize I am perhaps nitpicking, but for me they cumulatively add up and I think it's worth discussing, hence I wrote them here. WP strengths are sometimes even 'shouted from the rooftops' of the comment sections. There is lots of positive press. I should clarify, I was excited for WP since 2010, and bought my 710 April 2012.

But yes, there are ICS/JB handsets in the same price range that I think are better value. In Canada the 710 retails between $149 -$249 outright. [or like +300 at expansys] So I used a HTC One V for two weeks, and it was very nice and can be bought for $150. There is also the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 X for $200, and better yet the Samsung GS II X is $250 which is getting JB soon-ish. And I suggested 8x or WP8 because it can be affordable and may have addressed some of the things I don't like, but mostly because WP7.5 is dead end :( I check out 7.5 marketplace often and there isn't much new.. WP8 is deservedly getting the attention, just sucks for us.

As for email, 20MB limit not withstanding, I was used to attaching any file I wanted on my puny 9320.. But you right, I was not aware that other platforms have the same limitations. Yet there is no good reason why WP could not have been more flexible here. In the end these niggles are more on Microsoft than the 710.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have had my WP for about 7 months and I am starting to dislike it by the day. The keyboard is slow and sluggish
i actually find the keyboard snappy and very fast. much faster than swype. its not that i would not like to see swype on board. but the present keyboard is extreemly good - no denying it.

, sometimes the screen glitches up. I had a fond dislike for how the virtual keyboard would randomly disappear during texting.
never happened anything like it with me

The fm radio on it stops working when i switch it from headphones to speakerphone.
i dont use fm, so no idea

I found certain websites do not support the WP os. Therefore when I go to those websites, there is significant problems, i.e. logging in or trying to sign up for forums or just to register via linking fb. It can be a nightmare doing so. If your looking to kill time, shoot, there is no better way than to try and link fb with a website.
i use the full website layout, not the mobile lay layout and never had any problem in normal browsing.it might be something with websites which heayly rely on flash contents i suppose.

Trying to edit a text message on my lumia 710 is an exercise in restraint.
i used to have this feeling once upon a time, but then i did not know i can long press the typing area to bring up a floating cursor and place it anywhere i like. since i found out this function, it works like a charm.

Sometimes using this phone to surf the web brings me back to the days of dial up. Some websites have these invisible advertising links that hover directly over it. Trying to navigate those sites is frustrating at times. I used to say that after I got this phone, it replaced my desktop PC for web surfing. I no longer feel that way. I miss the true internet web browsing method.
browsing on computer will always be better than browsing on a phone. that said for my mobile brwsing need it works good enough.

I have noticed that on all my apps, there is heavy advertisement for sales. How annoying is it when I click on my weather app and there is this giant advertising banner taking up a quarter of the screen. This may not be restricted to lumai 710, and may be prevalent on all mobile devices apps.
Hello! buy some apps maybe? besides in almost every category there are ad supported free apps and full free ap although in nearly every case ad supported free ones have better features. try the microsoft weather for ad free weather? then again accuweather might have ads but its really more accurate than microsoft weather, so i am using accuweather. if you like neither, go for a paid app like weather flow etc.

This This is my first smartphone. I guess for it being free I got my monies worth. I however will never go back to a WP. The next phone im getting is going to be an android. Trial and error I guess. But every one has their opinions. Good luck on your purchase.
well my personal opinion is i am liking my 710 very much, snapy performance and solid build quality. i think i will skip wp8 altogather and go for the next wp when it launches (or ubuntu phone might be if nokia lanches one).. i seen my friends to use cheap androids, cheap wp works way better than those.

now some of the thing in 710 that bugs me
1. battery back up
2. no indic language support. how difficult was it for ms to copy some fonts so that we can atleast read webpages/ fb posts in my native language :/
2. some times the screen takes bit longer to wake up after pressing power key (this is annoying)

well thats all

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
This is sad: I hv 2 wks email on my phone. If i search for something, it displays what's avlbl on the phone and gives an option to search more in Gmail. But that is not the case in hotmail. It only searches what's on the phone. I tried it by going to the contact card, but the history only lets me search more in Gmail. I don't understandwhy. Can't I search more in hotmail without downloading all the email to my phone? Help me please

Im using a lumia 800 with WP 7.5

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Most of your problems with the Lumia 710 can be solved with an update, but most applications that are "free" have advertising. (Android is the biggest example, as their entire marketplace consist of ad-infested apps and games.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077