Get ready for beta!

Halo Wars 2 Blitz: Game modes, beginner's tips, and more

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Hi WPCentral, just got my Lumia 720 yesterday. I am trying, but i can't turn it off. Every time I push the power button and scroll the screen wallpaper to the bottom, it turns off and turns back on automatically. Is this normal ?

    Thnx for all help.
  2. Vaibhav Chauhan's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    260 Posts
    #2  
    No it should not turn on, unless its charging, while charging phone will always turn on itself. Otherwise it could be a stuck key? Or a software issue.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaibhav Chauhan View Post
    No it should not turn on, unless its charging, while charging phone will always turn on itself. Otherwise it could be a stuck key? Or a software issue.
    Oh its charging lol. I had no idea that it always stay on when charging. Thank you so much. :D
  4. Vaibhav Chauhan's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    260 Posts
    #4  
    You're welcome, but hitting thanks is the right way to go. ;)
  5. Vaibhav Chauhan's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    260 Posts
    #5  
    Btw here is a gift from halfbrick studios. this just came out. Grab it before it gets priced.
    Jetpack Joyride | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
  6. Ria Chatterjee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #6  
    I cant turn off my lumia 720- 1 month old fon. It switched off automatically and thereafter i am unable to turn on. even after charging for an hour my fon seems not to respond. Can anyone help me out?
    Plz help!!!
  7. OzRob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    604 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ria Chatterjee View Post
    I cant turn off my lumia 720- 1 month old fon. It switched off automatically and thereafter i am unable to turn on. even after charging for an hour my fon seems not to respond. Can anyone help me out?
    Plz help!!!
    Press and hold Power + Volume Down buttons for about 15 seconds to do a soft reset.
  8. Diedier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #8  
    I cant turn on my Lumia N720, i took a pict and afther that there whas the black screen, and he swiched himself of !! cant turn on no more ... Whats the problem ?? Tryed to recharge, tryed to take out Card, nothing happens no more ... Phone DEATH !!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diedier View Post
    I cant turn on my Lumia N720, i took a pict and afther that there whas the black screen, and he swiched himself of !! cant turn on no more ... Whats the problem ?? Tryed to recharge, tryed to take out Card, nothing happens no more ... Phone DEATH !!!
    Volume down button + Power button, hold it until the phone vibrate, and will back to normal. I got this inssue 3 times D:
  10. bijendra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #10  
    Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
    I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
    However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
    Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
    I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

    Good bye MS and NOKIA
  11. Amrit Seth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  
    I bought a Lumia 720 this week, it was all going fine except the volume issues (that can be tolerated), but tonight while I was talking to a friend of mine, the sensors that black out the screen when the phone's near one's ear/body, were not working. After disconnecting the call I realized that the screen was frozen.
    I cannot do a single thing, there's no touch issue this I know, but nothing's working, I tried pressing every button separately and with different combinations but all gone to waste.
    Please help me out people?
  12. OzRob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    604 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrit Seth View Post
    I bought a Lumia 720 this week, it was all going fine except the volume issues (that can be tolerated), but tonight while I was talking to a friend of mine, the sensors that black out the screen when the phone's near one's ear/body, were not working. After disconnecting the call I realized that the screen was frozen.
    I cannot do a single thing, there's no touch issue this I know, but nothing's working, I tried pressing every button separately and with different combinations but all gone to waste.
    Please help me out people?
    Press and hold Power + Volume Down buttons for about 15 seconds to do a soft reset.
  13. Sanga Sontundu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #13  
    I guess with mine its a software issue.........It shut down on its own, i was advised to do soft rest............ever since then when i switch it off it powers
    itself on again, what must i do to stop this?
  14. ardaozkal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaibhav Chauhan View Post
    Btw here is a gift from halfbrick studios. this just came out. Grab it before it gets priced.
    Jetpack Joyride | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)



    it was and it will be free forever





    Sent from my Lumia 620 using Tapatalk
  15. seventeenapg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    #15  
    Someone mentioned here thread to connect to computer and then click remove hardware safely. When this is completed your phone will switch off correctly. You must do this each time you disconnect from computer. I have the same problem but did not try this yet.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by seventeenapg View Post
    Someone mentioned here thread to connect to computer and then click remove hardware safely. When this is completed your phone will switch off correctly. You must do this each time you disconnect from computer. I have the same problem but did not try this yet.
    I feel sorry for myself it didnt work for me... sometimes i wish i didnt update...it messed up even my battery backup.
  17. #17  
    Try a soft reset before you remove hardware safely.

    Check this thread for improving battery life Improving battery life after updating to Amber.

    Hope it helps
  18. seventeenapg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    #18  
    I checked out the"remove hardware safely" and my windows 8 does not show my lumia under removable hardware. No amount of software soft resets is fixing it either. Also, i did a hard reset and the phone even then would not switch off before i loaded any of my apps. Hope its fixed in gdr3.
  19. seventeenapg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    #19  
    I got a new 720 and the same thing, it will not turn off. I think i may have an idea tho. If i put phone in flight mode and then switch off it will do it. Now i narrow it down to Bluetooth, it seems to be causing the problem. Can someone else check this as well?
  20. #20  
    Try turning off data and then switching it off.
  21. #21  
    I noticed that when phone is warm, it doesnt turn off...needs to be cooled down before u can turn it off...
  22. ardaozkal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo View Post
    I noticed that when phone is warm, it doesnt turn off...needs to be cooled down before u can turn it off...
    weird...
  23. seventeenapg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ardaozkal View Post
    weird...

    Listen, the phone just wont turn off, simple as that. There is no definite answer, some say this some say that. I have tried everything and it is just the luck of the draw when it actually does turn off. I just hope it is fixed in black/gdr3
  24. ShreyansShah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,108 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,111 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo View Post
    I noticed that when phone is warm, it doesnt turn off...needs to be cooled down before u can turn it off...
    heard this for the first time. i noticed sometimes phone takes time to go off completely. but i dont think it such a case.
    our phone is different than PC, and it doesnot cools down as PCs before going off.
  25. krishna T's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #25  
    Try switching off the phone (immediately after boot). This solved the problem for me.

Similar Threads

  1. My Lumia 720 impressions
    By AlexanderPD in forum Nokia Lumia 720
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 07:13 AM
  2. Help!!! I can't update my lumia 900 to windows 7.8 :(
    By thaischen in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
  3. Nokia replaced my Lumia 720
    By erfanullah in forum Nokia Lumia 720
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 01:48 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
  5. How can I unlock my lumia 920
    By scott19931223 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions