Low Signal Strength Issue in Nokia Lumia 720

Ahmad Wali

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it is just me, I am facing low signal strength issue in my new Nokia Lumia 720. Bars are never at full, sometimes 2 bars and sometimes 3 bars. I am using original Micro Sim, not the Mini-Sim converted to Micro. I was using HTC One X previously and I didn't faced any issue with same sim.

Anyone else facing this issue?

Thank You

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Under settings, go to Cellular and change the signal from 3G to 2G, check if that changes the signal strength.

Only set it to 3G when you plan to turn Data on.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it is just me, I am facing low signal strength issue in my new Nokia Lumia 720. Bars are never at full, sometimes 2 bars and sometimes 3 bars. I am using original Micro Sim, not the Mini-Sim converted to Micro. I was using HTC One X previously and I didn't faced any issue with same sim.

Anyone else facing this issue?

I'm not sure what your issue actually is. Does the phone drop out or are you unable to make calls when the signal strength shows two or three bars?

All phones measure and display signal strength differently. It's up to the phone software to determine what signal strength two, three or five bars actually represents. Your One X may have had much better sensitivity that the 720, or it could be that the One X just has a lower threshold for what constitutes full signal strength. Either way, if your phone isn't dropping calls, there really isn't a problem.

Ahmad Wali

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Under settings, go to Cellular and change the signal from 3G to 2G, check if that changes the signal strength.

Only set it to 3G when you plan to turn Data on.

Hey, this seems to work. We don't have 3G network in our country, I just switched it to 2G. Signal strength is full and I haven't seen bars going up and down so far.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
When I switched to WP from Symbian, I was too surprised by the Low Signal Strength. Just to make sure if my antenna was faulty or not, I swapped the SIM into Lumia 820 and it too showed the same signal strength. So apparently this is how Microsoft has calibrated it in their OS to show the signal bars.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey, this seems to work. We don't have 3G network in our country, I just switched it to 2G. Signal strength is full and I haven't seen bars going up and down so far.

yup, I noticed that too. I live in the Philippines and 3G network has not been fully deployed outside of the city.
So I just tinkered with the cellular settings and it helped alot.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am also facing the same issue in Lumia 820. I dint find the signal option under cellular. Would you please elaborate the solution.
Under cellular I can only see "SELECT YOUR NETORK" option where it is only showing Airtel 4G( I am using Airtel).
Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.!

mallured

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the phone seems to be out of coverage most of the time. No signal at all. I have to restart, of toggle flight mode to get signal again. And the reception is poor too, compared to symbain and android.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the phone seems to be out of coverage most of the time. No signal at all. I have to restart, of toggle flight mode to get signal again. And the reception is poor too, compared to symbain and android.

Once again, you can't compare operating systems with regard to signal strength - it is a handset issue. I live in a marginal signal area, particularly for 3G. There are three Android phones at my house. One has better signal strength than my Lumia 720, the other two have much more trouble pulling in signals and staying connected during calls. So it's not an operating system issue.

Jared Korz

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone first post here, unfortunately its to report problems with my Lumia 720.
I live in France in a rural area with low signal strength so i know where all the hotspots are in and around my house etc
I owned a Lumia 800 for a year which i liked apart from the terribly poor battery life, so i finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the 720 in the last few weeks, i honestly thought everything about the 720 would beat the 800.. i bought both phones new with no contract so imagine my dissapointment when i find out the 720 is actually bettered by the 800 in some of the most important areas! right away i noticed that the 720's signal strength is much weaker than the 800, i have to walk 150m up my road to get good enough quality to call, before with the 800 i just had to stand outside or in good weather near a window.
Now for the most annoying part and the reason im here, messaging!! now i am struggling to send and receive text messages.. the Lumia 800 allowed me to create my text msg and click send whether i had reception or not, i could then place the phone down virtually anywhere in the house and the msg would be sent within 5 mins when the phone found enough reception to do so.
With the new 720 i click send and it say "Can't send message Try again." over and over this happens, so i end up thinking ive replied to people and being ignored until i realize the phone was at fault!!!
Ive tried everything i can think of, ive turned international assist off, ive tried changing to max speed 2g, ive done a hard reset on the phone TWICE! Still the phone will NOT let me send messages unless im standing somewhere with reception.

HOW can Nokia release a phone that is WORSE than a 2 year old predecessor? Did they put a weaker signal strength aerial in this phone? Why the message problems?

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone first post here, unfortunately its to report problems with my Lumia 720.
I live in France in a rural area with low signal strength so i know where all the hotspots are in and around my house etc
I owned a Lumia 800 for a year which i liked apart from the terribly poor battery life, so i finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the 720 in the last few weeks, i honestly thought everything about the 720 would beat the 800.. i bought both phones new with no contract so imagine my dissapointment when i find out the 720 is actually bettered by the 800 in some of the most important areas! right away i noticed that the 720's signal strength is much weaker than the 800, i have to walk 150m up my road to get good enough quality to call, before with the 800 i just had to stand outside or in good weather near a window.
Now for the most annoying part and the reason im here, messaging!! now i am struggling to send and receive text messages.. the Lumia 800 allowed me to create my text msg and click send whether i had reception or not, i could then place the phone down virtually anywhere in the house and the msg would be sent within 5 mins when the phone found enough reception to do so.
With the new 720 i click send and it say "Can't send message Try again." over and over this happens, so i end up thinking ive replied to people and being ignored until i realize the phone was at fault!!!
Ive tried everything i can think of, ive turned international assist off, ive tried changing to max speed 2g, ive done a hard reset on the phone TWICE! Still the phone will NOT let me send messages unless im standing somewhere with reception.

HOW can Nokia release a phone that is WORSE than a 2 year old predecessor? Did they put a weaker signal strength aerial in this phone? Why the message problems?

Check your "SMS Centre Number"

cmykay

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I am from Malaysia, specifically Petaling Jaya; an urban area which most mobile operators boast of superior 3G and LTE services.

I have been an iOS and Android user, and decided to give WP8 a go because I thought I needed to see just how good (or bad) is it compared to the former. And so I purchased the Lumia 720 and was I in for a rude shock! The call signal strength fluctuates crazily and the recipients at the other side would complain that voice quality is awful - like muffled and distorted voice quality. I read in this forum that switching to 2G would solve the issue and it did, initially. Then it was back to being bad. I brought the phone back to Nokia and they say that it is the mobile operator's problem. I then swapped the SIM card into my other Android and I don't face this call quality issue. So this leads back to either Nokia's or WP's problem.

Next, being a Gmail user, I thought WP8 could at least give me the same features as Android. But NO! I can't search for past emails, not even my contacts! To do that, I'd have to install and use a third party Gmail app. The only good things I can say about the Lumia 720 are: (1) incredible battery life (2) Great camera with lots of lenses to choose from. Apart from that - I think Android or iOS is better. I am not a gamer (don't even have a game app installed) but a business user that relies heavily on gmail, whatsapp and browsing.

I am now awaiting the Amber Update and if it doesn't solve my problem - I'm going to switch back to Android!

vinod_aja

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have issues with the call not being heard at the other end.It has been only 3 months that I brought it
and top of that there are touchscreen issues. I went to nokia care they updated software and told
It will get fixed but still seeing issues...worst phone in my life.dont ever buy windows phone

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Why do imfeel like the messaging apps are not that good to use for WP. Unlike symbian or android, it seems like it has difficulty sending and receiving messages over 3g/2g... weird...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I wonder if they will ever fix this one on the next update...

Tonmoy Invincible

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought this phone only 2 months ago! I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!! Many of you are experiencing the same problems. I am facing these issues:

1. There's no network if my phone is dormant for only a few hours. Everyday I wake up to see that there's no network in my phone!!
2. Low voice quality at the recipients end . They keep complaining that my voice is not clear.
3. Sometimes the phone doesn't respond to touches !

These are pretty basic stuffs. How can it be a 'smart phone' if it's not smart enough to accomplish such simple tasks!! Even my nokia 1100 is far better than this phone. I haven't taken my phone to the Nokia Care. I don't want to own this phone anymore. I wish i could replace it with another model. :( :(

Tonmoy Invincible

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought this phone only 2 months ago! I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!! Many of you are experiencing the same problems. I am facing these issues:

1. There's no network if my phone is dormant for only a few hours. Everyday I wake up to see that there's no network in my phone!!
2. Low voice quality at the recipients end . They keep complaining that my voice is not clear.
3. Sometimes the phone doesn't respond to touches !

These are pretty basic stuffs. How can it be a 'smart phone' if it's not smart enough to accomplish such simple tasks!! Even my nokia 1100 is far better than this phone. I haven't taken my phone to the Nokia Care. I don't want to own this phone anymore. I wish i could replace it with another model. :( :(

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Make sure your SIM is properly cut. Or better still go for a original micro sim provided by network providers instead of just using a normal sim which has been cut to a micro sim.

satish darla

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
hi,

iam also using lumia 720 since more than 1 year, iam also facing same problem with network signals, i have changed the options like 2g/3g in mobile+sim settings but useless, then i changed my sim card (other network), even same problem, then i changed the mobile im getting gud signal strength with other than lumia phones. i dont understand why it happens, callers cant hear my voice when im talking in the phone, bcz of the lumia phone, voice and singnal issue is solved when im using other than lumia phone.can anybody help..

Parikshit Barve

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I am also experiencing the same issue with my lumia 530. Earlier the phone didnt have any problems i us a bsnl sim and in other devices that i tested i used to get full range only in kumia 530 i get no signal error athough it connects to the network sometimes but mostly it displays no network

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon