My phone won't turn off, it restarts.

viniciusastori

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
When I press and hold the power button, the device turns off then it turn on again, without pressing any button. It just restarts. Can someone help me? And yea ive already tried soft reset.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Ive read about this elsewhere and its a known bug, getting fixed in next update,ni just wish i could remember where i read it.

krishna T

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. I came across couple of suggestions. It worked for me. You may also try.
1. After you switch off and it automatically reboots, before entering the password etc. Just hold the power button and switch it off again.
After this the problem should disappear. OR
2. Connect the phone to PC wait for 10 seconds. Right click on the PnP icon and use "safely remove hardware" and disconnect the phone.

Go-2guy

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Is your phone plugged into the charger when this happens? I experienced the same thing, however when I unplugged it from the charger it powered down without issue. Weird glitch, hope to see it patched.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone plugged into the charger when this happens? I experienced the same thing, however when I unplugged it from the charger it powered down without issue. Weird glitch, hope to see it patched.

All Nokia Windows phones switch on when charging. This is by design and not a fault, bug or issue. The problem the OP is talking about was introduced in the Amber/GDR2 update and related to the phone rebooting when shut down when NOT on charge.

This issue has been fixed by the Black/GDR3 update.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If my phone is olugged in and charging, and I power it down it reboots. That's a design?

Yeap, and WP8 is not the only OS that does this. My kids have Kindle Fires and when you plug them in, they reboot. You CAN turn them off while they're plugged in but guess what, then they won't charge!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
If my phone is olugged in and charging, and I power it down it reboots. That's a design?

Yes. It does this by design. No phone with a Lithium battery is truly "off" when it's charging, but Nokia made the decision to boot into the full operating system rather than a special charging mode version of the OS, like most Android phones do for example.

ptnscr

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
All Nokia Windows phones switch on when charging. This is by design and not a fault, bug or issue.

That's the strangest thing I've heard. But you're right. I was looking for a solution to this "problem" and when I disconnected the charger, it didn't reboot. So thank you.

I wonder what the rationale behind this "feature" is.

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest update (Black) and it's (my 1520) still doing it. I have 8.1 Dev Preview and now I'm having the power button issue where it fails to turn the screen on and off and generally fails to respond to much of anything. I've soft reset like 5 times and it still persists.

Losing my happy thoughts now after buying Microsoft at all three WP launches. App issue finally got bad enough to force me to get an iPhone 6Plus. Now I'm having hardware/software issues after returning to my1520 within a week of getting the crApple, and it looks like I'll have to go back to that because I'm tired now.

El_CidCampeador

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I too have the same problem, waiting on Denim (if AT&T ever releases for my 1020) to see if it actually helps. So far the 8.1 update has been more like the downgrade of hell for many people. I have to soft reset like three times at least for my phone to turn off (not charging), my WiFi turns off by itself not letting me to turn it back on without several soft resets (same applies to Bluetooth) , cannot connect to WiFis that even my Nokia 5800 can connect without a problem... my phone is no longer reliable. I am back to using my Droid bionic with a nightly build of Cyanogenmod... it works like a charm. I wish MS learned a couple of things (or more like a hundred) from those guys and of course Google/Apple.

Oh and yes, I tried all kinds of resets... totally useless.

Lunitic Recordings

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Me 2 My phone won't turn off, it restarts.

Mine does the same with or without charger plugged in. This glitch of the OS is irritating where are the control options other phones contain such simple buttons in the phone settings. Easy for consumer means money. Dumb and tricky means something different Omg... Wait does that make too much sense. Or money got you too blind to make your contracted obligations and quota efficiently with positive repercussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Me 2 My phone won't turn off, it restarts.

Wait does that make too much sense. Or money got you too blind to make your contracted obligations and quota efficiently with positive repercussion.

Sorry about your frustrations however we aren't Microsoft or Nokia.
Windows Central is part of the Mobile Nations network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)