Why aren't my capacitive buttons working - Lumia 720?

lumia720

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Capacitive Buttons Not Working - Lumia 720

Hi,

So a few days ago, I had an issue with the Capacitive Keys working by themselves. The phone would vigorously press the Search, Home and Back key in order it desires, and it goes on and on and on.

The fix to this apparently lay in getting rid of the screen guard I was using. And sure enough, the issue was gone once the screen guard was removed.

Although, the fact that I have been using the phone for 1 year and 8 months with a screen guard and haven't encountered such a problem made me wonder what was wrong. But, all's well that ends well. Or so I thought. A new Capdase screen guard went onto the phone and all was well.

I shall include some details that may help people understand what the problem is. It is peak summer in India. Temperatures reach 36 degrees C where I live. At work, the Cafe is not air-conditioned while my cubicle is.

Yesterday, I rode to work on my motorcycle with my phone in my pocket. Once I reached work, I headed for the Cafe to find that the phone's capacitive keys were responding intermittently. I thought the issue was with the screen guard again, so I took it off and to my horror, no improvement. The keys still weren't responding properly. I didn't have much time to think about it and headed for my cubicle.

Once I reached my cubicle, the phone was still not functioning normally. I let the phone charge and went about my business. Then to notice a few hours later that the phone was back to normal. All the keys were working just as expected.

This morning, when I was at home, the phone was normal. But once I rode to work and got to the Cafe at work, the Capacitive Keys wouldn't work AT ALL. I thought my cubicle would help, but to no avail. Still the same thing after 3 hours in an air-conditioned environment.

Here are a few observations:

1) The LEDs behind the capacitive keys don't light up.
2) They do not vibrate when touched either
3) The power button also seems to be cranky. I notice the Slide Down to Power Off screen sometimes even when I haven't touched the power button.
4) Soft reset did not help at all
5) I had downgraded from WP10 TP to WP8.1 just a few weeks ago.

I thought it could be that the environmental temperature coupled with the denims made the phone too hot and hence was acting bonkers. So I thought that the air-conditioned environment of the cubicle got it back to working state.

And the oddest part, sometimes, when I blow cold air at the Capacitive Keys, the LED lights up slowly and once I stop, the turns off again.

Either my phone is going cookie, or I am! :p

Would really like some help. :)

Phone: Lumia 720
OS Version: 8.10.14219.341
Firmware Revision Number: 3058.50000.1425.0002
Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

KUMAR MAYANK VIPAL

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Capacitive Buttons Not Working - Lumia 720

I have the same issue but Nokia care says no warranty as there is dent mark on the panel,and then Then also the so called LIQUID Damage.
i am researching how to replace the digitizer alone as its not much expensive,and will solve the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss