Pics and vids shot with the L730\735!

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did. Colors seem duller, higher ISO is favored instead of longer exposure times so pics are often more noisy and white is usually blown out more than on 8.1

Very dull colors, that's a little concerning. I hope MS isn't being too aggressive with the noise processing just to benefit the 950's, where at 20mp it wouldn't really be noticed at a glance. Midrange and low-end phones kinda need a more delicate approach - our photos are often seen closer to 100% and noise processing is a little more unforgiving.

But I think the whites are blowing out and blooming because your lens might be dirty. My older Lumia 900 was especially prone to this because the lens was recessed into the body of the phone, and every time i held it my fingers would scrape over the rim and press inside the cavity. Had to take a cotton-tip around with me when i was put in charge of family photos, just to make sure i didn't ruin the set with a careless touch. It happened once here, with a single fingerprint. Really ticked me off :|

DmBygiv.jpg

pnpBfa9.jpg

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Very dull colors, that's a little concerning. I hope MS isn't being too aggressive with the noise processing just to benefit the 950's, where at 20mp it wouldn't really be noticed at a glance. Midrange and low-end phones kinda need a more delicate approach - our photos are often seen closer to 100% and noise processing is a little more unforgiving.

But I think the whites are blowing out and blooming because your lens might be dirty. My older Lumia 900 was especially prone to this because the lens was recessed into the body of the phone, and every time i held it my fingers would scrape over the rim and press inside the cavity. Had to take a cotton-tip around with me when i was put in charge of family photos, just to make sure i didn't ruin the set with a careless touch. It happened once here, with a single fingerprint. Really ticked me off :|

Thnaks for a tip, but I keep my phone and lens regularly clean, so that shouldn't be reason. Blooming wasn't pronounced as much on the 8.1.

Your photos look stunning, crisp clear. Did you use any kind of tripod or something similar and have you did some post processing?

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thnaks for a tip, but I keep my phone and lens regularly clean, so that shouldn't be reason. Blooming wasn't pronounced as much on the 8.1.

Your photos look stunning, crisp clear. Did you use any kind of tripod or something similar and have you did some post processing?

Very strange - thanks for taking the plunge into Win10 to warn us. I won't be upgrading for a while until the camera is sorted :)

And cheers! No tripod or post processing (used to do a ton of noise removal on my 900's pics, but the 735's don't really need it), I just take a ton of snaps and pick the best ones afterwards, mixing auto and manual focus so I know I've got something sharp. I try to shoot in full sun or slightly overcast days whenever possible, low light pics on any phone are never great. Slightly overcast days are probably the best - the shadows are never strong and you get a more even ambient light over your subject :)

1hPWMlC.jpg

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a bug in microsoft camera app in Lumia 730 with 8.1 ?
Open the camera app and take a photo in vertical orientation. The photo appears in the phone as vertical only but when viewed in any other software except Creative Studio it is horizontal. Even on pc.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a bug in microsoft camera app in Lumia 730 with 8.1 ?
Open the camera app and take a photo in vertical orientation. The photo appears in the phone as vertical only but when viewed in any other software except Creative Studio it is horizontal. Even on pc.

Not really sorry, although I don't really use Microsoft Camera. What version do you have?

There is an update pending for Nokia Camera though. I'm a bit weary of it because there's no changelog (as normal), and nothing broken (that I can notice) in the current app to really warrant a patch. I'm currently on version 4.10.0.5, does anyone have a newer version of the app and knows what this new update will bring?

More bugs, I need to find something a bit more interesting to snap :) Cropped the edges off in PS, and sharpened it a little.

Jqk0KFi.jpg

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Not really sorry, although I don't really use Microsoft Camera. What version do you have?

There is an update pending for Nokia Camera though. I'm a bit weary of it because there's no changelog (as normal), and nothing broken (that I can notice) in the current app to really warrant a patch. I'm currently on version 4.10.0.5, does anyone have a newer version of the app and knows what this new update will bring?

More bugs, I need to find something a bit more interesting to snap :) Cropped the edges off in PS, and sharpened it a little.

http://i.imgur.com/Jqk0KFi.jpg

Lumia Camera works fine. The problem is with Microsoft Camera app only

habaskeba

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I found there is a "hidden feature" in the Lumia Camera app which enables exposure lock when shooting video.

Start Lumia Camera app and go to video mode

1. Tap somewhere to start focusing
2. Quickly but no too quickly tap the same spot again to cancel focusing before it locks focus to target

If you did it right the exposure will be locked and you can still use the manual controls (except infinity focus it seems) and the auto focus also works. Should enable much more professional videos with exposure locked!

Last edited:

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, just accidentally updated the Lumia camera from 4.10.0.4 to 4.10.0.5. Big mistake.

They've done something to the exposure metering. Its either set a step higher than it should be on 0.0 than before, meaning photos are always washed out on default settings, especially when it wants to prioritize for shadows at the expense of highlights. Everything is blown out, even on a cloudy day.

cv633CW.jpg

Even setting the exposure to -1 or -0.7 doesn't really work - the automatic exposure correction jumps back to blow out the highlights (if you've tapped to focus) after a few seconds. You now need to be quick, and needlessly fiddle with the camera settings (that don't fricking save) before every round of shots. Even then it's unreliable. This shouldn't be happening on dim, cloudy days.

iLO6ai4.jpg

Rgm6W9Z.jpg

Look at the comb of the chicken - almost acid, and bleeding white and red haze. And this is after tapping on its face to set focus and exposure so the beak doesn't get washed out.

I've tried to sideload the older version of the app from here but the phone tells me it's incompatible, and uninstalling and resetting both the app and the camera from settings does nothing. I feel sick, it's like I've broken this phone.

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I found a way to deal with the issues. I've had to learn to do my macro stuff with manual focus instead of touch-to-focus, avoiding the exposure blowing out by avoiding the taps to the screen that trigger it. I think the phone still does an alright job averaging out the scenes overall exposure, so i've just got to be careful to only hit the onscreen button when taking snaps. Wish the 735 had a physical camera button, it's a bizarre omission and would make photography a little less clunky.

wXUMTdM.jpg

zwkuvBo.jpg

Paper wasp building a nest outside my window. Won't be there long. Bonus video, upscaled to 4k to help avoid Youtube compression artifacts.

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Is anybody else facing incorrect flash behaviour in Lumia 730 ? Also, see the image attached. Getting so many scratches without doing anything. I keep my phone so much protected. I am the only one ? IMG_20151113_082838.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Is anybody else facing incorrect flash behaviour in Lumia 730 ? Also, see the image attached. Getting so many scratches without doing anything. I keep my phone so much protected. I am the only one ? View attachment 116105

Gee, that looks pretty rough. I got a strange nick on the center of the screen before my screen protector came, which puzzled me because I was so careful with the thing and didn't put it near anything metal. Gorilla Glass 3 my foot.

Your scratches look a bit like abrasion, like sand has somehow rubbed itself against the lens :\

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Gee, that looks pretty rough. I got a strange nick on the center of the screen before my screen protector came, which puzzled me because I was so careful with the thing and didn't put it near anything metal. Gorilla Glass 3 my foot.

Your scratches look a bit like abrasion, like sand has somehow rubbed itself against the lens :\

Currently the quality of pictures is good but I don't know what will happen in long run :|

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Who cares about all the 950 hype - just found a macro mode on the 735 that puts it to shame! (not really, just followed the instructions here). Amazing results though, and this is at night with a flash. Hence the (10mm wide!) moth :)

V87LhfZ.jpg

WP_20151204_00_02_43_Pro.jpg

ddnPsWQ.jpg

WP_20151204_00_23_50_Pro2.jpg

09 WP_20151204_00_27_09_Pro.jpg

Because you have such a limited focal plane at such high zooms, I had to take several photos and stack them in Photoshop to bring more of the subject in focus for the final image (called focus stacking). I didn't crop them, just so you can see how it works.

Tempted to get out tomorrow in good light, and find a few spiders.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Great photos Simon and thanks for tutorial link!

Here are two pics I took, I think they were taken on W10M, first one is as is, and second one is touched a little bit, don't know if I made it better or not:

WP_20151003_12_22_53_Pro.jpgWP_20151003_12_22_53_Pro-1.jpg

And one from before:

WP_20151003_12_21_46_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk