Which phone should I get the Lumia 730 or the Moto G 2014?

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Caught between lumia 730 and moto g 2014

I caught between the Lumia 730 and the Moto G 2014. I've been using a Lumia 510 since 2 years and the experience hasn't been that great. My primary requirements are good display,fast processor, good music player, web browsing, and IM. What do you suggest ? I'm not much of a gamer, as I prefer my PSP to any mobile game. Also I read a lot of news sites like CNN,TOI,AFP and online discussions.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

If the experience has been hardware based but you like the os, the 730 looks a great phone and I've seen very positive reviews.

For all you specify it would be perfect.

If it's software based and you want a change, then Moto G.

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am worried if the 730 hangs a lot. My 510 crashes a lot on heavy websites and even simple apps like Mixtapes. The last thing I need is another slow phone which cant even open browse through a news app properly. :) And i do like the OS. My sis has a 520 and its lovely considering she got it only for 75 dollars

Dimitrisdim14

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am worried if the 730 hangs a lot. My 510 crashes a lot on heavy websites and even simple apps like Mixtapes. The last thing I need is another slow phone which cant even open browse through a news app properly. :) And i do like the OS. My sis has a 520 and its lovely considering she got it only for 75 dollars
Lumia 730 is one of the best phones on this price... It's not like 510 ... It is way better... ! But if you are a regular user(playing some games, watching videos.... Camera ,SMS fb etc ) then you will be very very pleasured with 730 .. And remember ...36 months updates means that definetly you LL get windows 10 on it! On the other hand ... I you like a mote open os...with more "freedom" the Moto is best for u ...! I prefere the design of the 730 ... And I like the camera 📷 and the selfie camera !

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

Compared to the Moto G ,how fast is the lumia 730 in opening apps (popular ones like fb,whatsapp,telegram etc). People say that windows phones are a tad slower than Android phones in opening apps. ?

I'm thinking of getting the white matt 730. For 14k INR it looks gorgeous, especially with the amoled screen. !!

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

It won't be slow. Opening apps on the 520 is already fast. Overall Windows Phone is a faster, more fluid operating system than Android; the only difference really is the app gap.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
re:

I caught between the Lumia 730 and the Moto G 2014. I've been using a Lumia 510 since 2 years and the experience hasn't been that great. My primary requirements are good display,fast processor, good music player, web browsing, and IM. What do you suggest ? I'm not much of a gamer, as I prefer my PSP to any mobile game. Also I read a lot of news sites like CNN,TOI,AFP and online discussions.

I have the Moto G 4G and L735. Like you, I'm not a gamer (on the phone, or anywhere). I much prefer the L735 to the Moto. Regardless, here's what I use / used...

Music: L735 - supplied app is good enough for my needs.
Music: Moto G - I used Apollo, which I extracted from a Cyanogen Mod ROM. It's a great free music app.

Web: L735 - just used the supplied app as there doesn't seem to be any real choice.
Web: Moto G - Firefox for Android. good free, and fast.

IM: L735 - Telegram Beta. Does most of what the Android version does, but secret chats currently not working. No big deal for me.
IM: Moto G - Telegram Beta. Works flawlessly.

Don't know about the other apps.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
My primary requirements are good display,fast processor, good music player, web browsing, and IM. What do you suggest ? I'm not much of a gamer, as I prefer my PSP to any mobile game. Also I read a lot of news sites like CNN,TOI,AFP and online discussions.

Well you just described Moto G 2014
With all that apps, especially messaging apps... AND BROWSERS. On the other hand if you love the camera, camera apps and million of photo and video editors, playing with manual camera controls and W10 upgrade then go for WP :)

I use 735 and I love the idea of the OS I really do, using WP one year and coming from High end Android. Yet it's just isn't there yet.. Hope that Windows 10 brings more developers and overall support. Looking at your needs go for Android. Bigger display that looks sharper due to IPS screen, dual front speakers, every app you want, upgradeable to Android Lolipop :)

I try to like WP over today's Android, but only thing that currently gets me going is camera hardware. There are more bugs and random reboots present on my WP versus my Nexus. Android works like a charm nowadays.
And don't forget that you can enjoy Microsoft services there too which are currently better to look at and experience. W10 is probably far away and with things you want I'd definitely go for Android. In my case an Android phone with Lumia camera hardware would be a no brainer to get.

Anyways I'm giving you a link to Android Central, they love Motos: http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2014-review

I used to defend WP and I still do, but come on its just phones, I'm gonna advise you objectively.

Last edited:

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

The Moto G has a good display but isnt 720p a bit too stretched on 5 incher ? Plus the Lumia comes with an amoled and Nokia's ClearBlack tech. Should the 730 be a winner here ? read some reviews and everyone praises the screen on the 730.
As for apps. I'm not a app junkie. All I care about is fb,whatsapp,cnn,afp,9gag,reddit and the likes. Nothing too fancy. Coming from a low end lumia ( l510 wp7.8) all i'm worried is lag in the 3rd party apps. My uncle has a Moto G and 3rd party apps are really smooth on that ! :)

Also I'm a student. Will be using this phone till Q4 2016.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

You can use multiple browsers on MotoG. Whereas on 730 you're stuck to IE. Plus speakers on MotoG '14 comes front dual stero and will have better sound than 730. And you'll have all the apps more than compared to wp store. For your uses I'd say motoG. Unless you want a amoled display, lagfree os and sleeker looking handset. :)

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
re:

You should go for the 730. It's simple, fast, has good hardware, and the awesome selfie camera. And yes, the 730's screen is awesome. The 730 really is fast *(much faster than the moto g), and its sleek design is just GORGEOUS.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

You can use multiple browsers on MotoG. Whereas on 730 you're stuck to IE. Plus speakers on MotoG '14 comes front dual stero and will have better sound than 730. And you'll have all the apps more than compared to wp store. For your uses I'd say motoG. Unless you want a amoled display, lagfree os and sleeker looking handset. :)

The dual front facing speakers on the Moto G 2nd Gen are nothing to get excited about. When I reviewed the phone I found that the Moto E was actually louder and less prone to distortion despite it only having 1 front facing speaker. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything, the speakers are absolutely nothing like the quality of the Boomsound speakers in HTCs phones.

I'm not a big fan of the Moto G 2nd Gen. It's large and feels\looks cheap, the display is not as bright or colourful as the smaller one on the original Moto G, and the build quality feels worse than even the Moto E (I had all 3 handsets in hand when I reviewed the 2nd Gen).

The only real improvement over the original Moto G is the camera, but then the Lumia 730/735 absolutely kills it in that regard.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

I wanted to gift my girlfriend the Lumia 730, but it was not available as her b'day was nearing.
Gifted her the Moto G. It is a good phone OS is fluid.
The worst thing about moto G is the camera quality, it is worst than lumia 520. Also i did not like the way Moto G looks.
GF started complaining about the camera quality wished i waited for the 730.
would suggest try both phones in a store ( not dummy phones )

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Hmmm... Emotionally I think you need to get a 730.

Side by side with a Moto G (2014) I think it wins. Nokia Lumia 730 Dual SIM vs. Motorola Moto G (2014) - GSMArena.com Windows Phone 8.1 on better hardware will far exceed your experience on the outdated WP 7.8 device. In a lot of areas it is a toss up. I think the quality of Lumia Camera means in reality the 6.7 MP Zeiss optics and Lumia software will actually outperform the so-so 'droid 8MP shooter they tucked into Moto G (2014). The 730 has a slightly larger battery and the more efficient OS actually means much longer run-time difference than just on paper. That's what tips me toward 730. That and loyalty.

Now... Let's be realistic. Student, on a budget... Who is your carrier? Are you stuck there?

Cricket has a $40/month plan with the 1GB of data at fastest speed each month or $50 with the first 3GB. Take $5 off a month with autopay set up. Good price and at a University environment WiFi is probably everywhere so you save data use whenever you can, yes?

But without WiFi either device you are looking at is stuck at 21.1mbps H+ Speed. That's not fast. It's second tier H+ or slowed down 3.5G.

Cricket has the Moto G (4G) for only $25 after a $75 rebate. It's a lot of phone for the money: Motorola Moto G 4G vs. Motorola Moto G (2014) - GSMArena.com Same hindered H+, but you'll actually get into LTE speeds when off WiFi...

This might be your best "bang for the buck" as data speed makes a HUGE difference in your experience.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones/motorola-moto-g

​Good luck. Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 730 has a better display, infinitely better back camera and a much better front camera, much nicer design (matter of preference but still).

IE11 on WP is faster than Android browsers, though you'll encounter a slight compatibility problem here and there which usually are fixed shortly.

You used to have a Lumia 510, which was an underpowered WP7 device, with 256 MB ram. You didn't even manage to see what WP7 was properly capable off.

WP8.1.1 today, on 1 GB ram is a much better experience and the specs combined with the OS will meet an overall better experience in the long run compared to the Moto G.

Last edited:

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
re:

The worst thing about moto G is the camera quality
I think the Moto 4 2014 has a better camera than the original Moto G. The original Moto G has the most inadequate camera I've ever used. It's worse than the VGA camera on an old Nokia candybar phone. The camera lacks details, has overly aggressive noise reduction (even in the brightest lights), drag to focus does not work (it doesn't focus on the object you select), it's just utter and complete cr@p, and Motorola has acknowledged it.

If you want to take photo, then go for the 730. Two fantastic camera on the phone.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

You should go for the 730. It's simple, fast, has good hardware, and the awesome selfie camera. And yes, the 730's screen is awesome. The 730 really is fast *(much faster than the moto g), and its sleek design is just GORGEOUS.

It isn't faster than G. Both have the same SD 400 processor. Op would not see the silly resuming screens(wp) on android and multi tasking is better too as android works in a different way. MotoG will also get Lollipop

fraglord94

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'm really inclined towards the 730. Mainly because of the super awesome screen and the design. Also hands on videos show the browsing experience to be pretty decent. I'm not locked into a carrier. Plus calling rates in my country are dirt cheap. Almost 0.01$ per minute. I'm not joking. AirTel yay !!

3.5G is fine for me. Because in my city 4g, LTE is available in very few places. If someone could do a comparison between 3rd party app performance on the 2 phones it would clear my doubts. Like fb on the 730 and fb on the MotoG. Smoothness and stability is my primary concern (over features).

Thanks. :)

PS. Also camera isn't a very big criteria. I don't take many pictures. Just the usual friday nights.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G has a good display but isnt 720p a bit too stretched on 5 incher ? Plus the Lumia comes with an amoled and Nokia's ClearBlack tech. Should the 730 be a winner here ? read some reviews and everyone praises the screen on the 730.
As for apps. I'm not a app junkie. All I care about is fb,whatsapp,cnn,afp,9gag,reddit and the likes. Nothing too fancy. Coming from a low end lumia ( l510 wp7.8) all i'm worried is lag in the 3rd party apps. My uncle has a Moto G and 3rd party apps are really smooth on that ! :)

Also I'm a student. Will be using this phone till Q4 2016.

Screen on the L735 has OLED display, yes blacks are really blacks, however OLED has 2 subpixels and an IPS has 3 subpixels therefore 720p on a 5 inch still looks sharper than 720p on OLED. From my previous Ativ S at 4.8 AMOLED to my L735 4.7 OLED I find it more pixelated..you get used to it, but in terms of lower pixelation yes IPS is better. The only one who praises this screen is biased, not even WC said that when they made a comparison with Moto G. Lumia 1520 and new 830 also uses IPS displays. And again you say FB, WhatsApp and such.. You'll only get that on an Android, yes of course WP has their own versions but it's nothing like Android version. If you don't care about the camera and you're looking for a communication phone then I still advise to go for Moto G 2. I love Windows but I can't stand to write on my phone with these apps so I just jump on my Nexus tablet. It's not the Windows problem to be honest, it's the developers and their support.. It's getting better, but if you want it now Android is still the way to go. And Android Lolipop that will make your phone even sweeter.
Yet still Hey you can get the Lumia, I love mine, just hoping that W10 will bring the OS more on pair with Android, or even better, Windows is Windows. Just needs some love.

Look at this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgHoRjHWEM&sns=em

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3