Grey/purple navigation bar after several seconds, how to fix it?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It's set to always dark, after unhiding it return to black, but after several seconds it's grey again.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Sentient Golf Ball

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
You can't fix it. Here's a possible explanation from another thread...

The "graying out" of the navbar is not a bug but rather a burn in saver feature for AMOLED displays. Such strong white mainly on static icons on some contrasting backgrounds can lead to temporary burn in which can turn to permanent in the long future.

"Graying out" those areas after some inactivity time, can help reduce/eliminate the problem.

If you cannot bare it, then you should opt for an LCD based WP device.

Djolle

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Dude, you have amoled screen on this phone... big contrast like 3 white icons (back, home, search) on black background can cause "burn in" effect if used for long period of time. Software after a while change back to grey to prevent that.

Cheers!

lol Sentient Golf Ball answer/post it before me...

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Settings > Navigation bar (Check if always dark is checked) or do a soft reset.

It's always dark as I said in the post.

You can't fix it. Here's a possible explanation from another thread...

Dude, you have amoled screen on this phone... big contrast like 3 white icons (back, home, search) on black background can cause "burn in" effect if used for long period of time. Software after a while change back to grey to prevent that.

Cheers!

lol Sentient Golf Ball answer/post it before me...

lol yeah thanks for the post, but I dont believe its a "feature", it has to be a software bug, look at the battery and clock and signal icon is white on black background as well. The old galaxy nexus also have an oled screen and on screen navbar, but it didnt turned grey and burn in only happen after months or even years I didnt even notice it until lately...

Guess I'll stick with accent colored bar since I doubt this gonna be fixed. Thanks!

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's always dark as I said in the post.

lol yeah thanks for the post, but I dont believe its a "feature", it has to be a software bug, look at the battery and clock and signal icon is white on black background as well. The old galaxy nexus also have an oled screen and on screen navbar, but it didnt turned grey and burn in only happen after months or even years I didnt even notice it until lately...

Guess I'll stick with accent colored bar since I doubt this gonna be fixed. Thanks!

The nav bar will turn grey or the colour will be muted whichever colour you select in the nav bar settings. It does not only happen when 'dark' is selected.

It is an OLED burn in prevention feature, it has been discussed on here many times before. It only happens on the 730 and 735 because they are the only OLED screened windows phones which feature a software nav bar.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Switched on Lumia 730 on Monday, great phone. :) Later I saw this thing. It doesn't bother me, but I wanted to know what it is - whether it is a bug, or a feature, or there is an option to change this behavior. And then I found this thread. :)

I don't know much about screen types, but I will believe you on your word. There is another thing though. Some of you said it's because of AMOLED, and some said that should be the case with any OLED screen (including AMOLED). But this graying out doesn't happen on Lumia 650 which has OLED screen.

So, why doesn't this graying out happen on Lumia 650? Did somebody here make a mistake here writing OLED instead of AMOLED? Since this doesn't happen on Lumia 650, should Lumia 650 users have no risk of getting a burn in because of those buttons? Or there is still a risk for them?

I'm curios about this because while I have a Lumia 730, my girlfriend has a Lumia 650.

EDIT: Lumia 950 also has AMOLED display, and I haven't heard that the navigation bar grays out on it. Is the AMOLED screen on Lumia 950 somewhat different with regard to this matter?

Last edited:

Daniel Francisco1

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Switched on Lumia 730 on Monday, great phone. :) Later I saw this thing. It doesn't bother me, but I wanted to know what it is - whether it is a bug, or a feature, or there is an option to change this behavior. And then I found this thread. :)

I don't know much about screen types, but I will believe you on your word. There is another thing though. Some of you said it's because of AMOLED, and some said that should be the case with any OLED screen (including AMOLED). But this graying out doesn't happen on Lumia 650 which has OLED screen.

So, why doesn't this graying out happen on Lumia 650? Did somebody here make a mistake here writing OLED instead of AMOLED? Since this doesn't happen on Lumia 650, should Lumia 650 users have no risk of getting a burn in because of those buttons? Or there is still a risk for them?

I'm curios about this because while I have a Lumia 730, my girlfriend has a Lumia 650.

EDIT: Lumia 950 also has AMOLED display, and I haven't heard that the navigation bar grays out on it. Is the AMOLED screen on Lumia 950 somewhat different with regard to this matter?

It does turn grey on my Lumia 735 with Windows 10 just like it did before with Windows Phone 8.1.

If it doesn't turn grey on your Lumia 650 that's probably because the three symbols are now not perfectly white but they're already grey if you look closely. Try to compare it to another Lumia 735 with Windows Phone 8.1 and you'll see the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs